Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raging Bull - It's never been my fave MS film but watching it again it is a phenomenal piece of work. It almost feels it was made in the period it's set. And De Niro eraned every ounce of his Academy Award.

Comment

Just a heads up to any Welles fans: The Eyes of Orson Welles is on BBC4 tonight. It's a recent film looking at his paintings and drawings and their connections to his films ... and the reviews have been pretty good across the board.

Comment

Start of the year we saw The Godfather for the very first time after being told how good it was our entire lives.
        It definitely lived up to its praise, thought it was utterly brilliant, especially the ending which was one of the best I have ever seen.

Next was Demolition man, a film I had never seen/ entirely forgot about. TBH I thought it was pretty awful and reminded me too much of Judge Dredd but Bullock played a rather sweet character (if annoying at the start) but the film grew on me from about half way.
        Still thought it was pretty pants though with some small but good elements to it.

Finally tonight we went to see The Favorite which I have been dying to see since I saw the trailer for it back last Autumn. Fantastic movie, all 3 leading ladies were exceptional and really enjoyed it, even if the use of Fish-eye Lens at the start felt like it clashed but later in the movie with some indoor scenes it worked. Highy recommend, deserves all the awards it's winning and more.

Comment

I saw The Devil Wears Pravda for the first time yesterday. Don’t be fooled - it is not a horror film and the devil isn’t even in it. False advertising. 1/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
            Start of the year we saw The Godfather for the very first time after being told how good it was our entire lives.
            It definitely lived up to its praise, thought it was utterly brilliant, especially the ending which was one of the best I have ever seen.
            Yeah, it really is something special that film. The restaurant scene and build up is one one of the best sequences in any film ever. Hope you've got pt 2 lined up.

Comment

Red Sparrow - thought it was a pretty decent thriller, acting overall was above average, good to see Jeremy Irons in a movie again! J Law was as usual very hot.

Hangman - dear of dear Pacino must be nearly 100 and looks it, farcical movie, the direction was dire editing as well, it was all over the shop. A pity as the underlying premise wasn't too bad. Certainly had the bones to be a good movie.

The Searchers - been years and years since I saw this. Certainly not the classic it's made out to be, personally I don't think it's close to Liberty Valance nor even Rio Bravo in terms of John Wayne movies. What can I say, the Duke is bastard, at least he knows it & acts the part extremely well. To be fair it reminded me of RDR2 - all that riding around, chaps, spurs etc lol. It's wonderfully shot, the scenery is absolutely stunning.

Comment

Monday, you ask? The Last Witch Hunter with Vin Diesel. It was pretty rubbish, videogame special fx everywhere but no way to engage with the central turd at its core. It's very poor, anyway, though I'll concede there are a couple of very nice static scenes that look gorge.

The Guard. Last night. BRENDAN GLEESON and DON CHEADLE............are very very good in this.

I'd put it in line with In Bruges. If that was a 9, this is at least a 7.3%er. It's well good tho.

Comment

Ralph Fiennes takes the cake in I.B. tho. The Guard has Mark Strong, who is brill...but not fine.

Mark Strong IS strong but not as fine as Fiennes.

Comment

Similarish characters, knaarmean???

Comment

Everything I say sounds wrong. Jesus H.

Comment

Just watched Split on Netflix, expecting it to be great as I've enjoyed every M. Night Shyamalan movie I've seen.

Sadly, total guff. Absolute rubbish. McAvoy is brill at whatever he's doing but I just found it annoying more than effective.

Adored Unbreakable as well. This is jizz.

Comment

Antman & the wasp: Its got some good comedy moments, but overall its a week film with very little plot or threat. 6.5/10

Incredibles 2: Much better superhero film than Antman & the wasp. Its a good follow up to the first, even after 14 years. Very enjoyable. 7.5/10

Comment

I also watched Split last night and really enjoyed it. First Shyamalan movie I have seen since that one with the aliens I think so I was admittedly a bit distracted looking for a stupid twist but it was a small, strong film and McAvoy was brilliant. The ending felt a but anticlimactic but that could have been related to me expecting a stupid twist. I also could have done without the coda which felt clumsy and unnecessary. But yeah, a good film. I enjoyed it.

Comment

Weird, innit, what differing peeps like? I wanted to like it so much, as well. I just hope I like Glass!

Comment

The Matrix - First viewing since it was brand new at the cinema. Still amazing. I'd forgotten just how good it was. Fabulous on 4k blu with Dolby Atmos. I'm no home cinema snob but it's something else.

Elvira Mistress of the Dark - An Arrow impulse buy for some late 80s/late night daftness. Pretty rubbish really. An obvious 'let's do a film' rush job.

Into The Spider-Verse - Really, really good. Brilliant animated film - check, brilliant comic-book film - check, just a brilliant, thoroughly entertaining film - check. Me and my 10-year old were both blown away in the cinema this morning. Seen nothing like it before. Want to see it again already.

Comment

Working...
                                X