Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split's a funny one. I like the idea, but it didn't quite come together for me, it felt a little too silly.

I thought the child personality that McAvoy has seemed to be inspired by Raising Cain.

Comment

Keeping with the same director I watched Glass at the cinema today. There are some good ideas and it was interesting to see characters from two of the director's prior films be brought together. The execution is a little here and there and as per this director there is a twist (I wish he'd stop doing them now though as its too expected).

Its an alright film and the central performances are strong. I just came out of the cinema feeling indifferent when I should have felt amazed.

Comment

I must admit the thought of sitting through Bruce Willis puts me off Glass. He just hasn’t seemed like he has wanted to be in a movie for years and it shows in his performances.

Comment

The Favourite:

Some standout moments with a lot of nothing in between.

Comment

I'm hoping to see Glass this week.

I caught up on a couple of "C" films that I wanted to watch when my mates and I tried watching a film for each letter of the alphabet (we failed).

Capricorn One.
            I picked this up for cheap from a charity shop and it was fun to watch again.
            I wanted to see it after seeing that documentary about The Shining that claimed it was clearly Kubrick's confession that he was complicit in faking the moon landings.

Three astronauts are about to embark on the maiden voyage to Mars, only to be pulled from their capsule, minutes before launch.
            They're whisked away and the rocket leaves without them. They are then told that their life support units would've failed, weeks into the mission and are asked if they'll agree to take part in the facade that they're actually on Mars by acting on a giant movie set of the planet. When they ask what will happen if they don't comply, they're told that all their families are flying home from the launch on a plane together that has a "device" on it.

One of the NASA ground crew is confused because the video signals seem to be coming from closer than the location of the rocket. He tells a couple of superiors and they both dismiss his investigations, but moments after telling his reporter friend about his findings. he goes missing.

He starts following the trail of breadcrumbs to try to uncover the truth of the hoax whilst the astronauts wonder if they'll end their usefulness...

There's a naff car chase and an overlong helicopter chase, but other than that, it's hokey fun seeing the astronauts trying to survive and the journalist doggedly chasing the truth, despite attempts to off him.

I knew OJ Simpson was in it (he's pretty superfluous, but fine) and James Brolin (from Westworld), but I'd forgotten Elliot Gould was in it and he's great. I didn't realise that it was made by Sir Lew Grade's ITC.

It's directed by Peter Hyams, who's done some other fun films like Outland, 2010, Timecop and End of Days.

I was curious about the involvement of NASA as they've got all the logos and an actual capsule, when you'd think a conspiracy movie with a story near their own lunar conspiracy theories would put them off, but Wiki says "To stay within the budget, NASA's co-operation was needed. Lazarus had a good relationship with the space agency from Futureworld. The filmmakers were thus able to obtain government equipment as props despite the negative portrayal of the space agency, including a prototype lunar module."

Comment

Children of Men. (Thanks [MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION]!)
              I did see this last year, but wanted to see it again after we chatted about it on here.
              It's crazy because some of the events really echo what's going on here at the moment with Brexit.
              The Blu-Ray has some excellent features and you can expand on how they made the film and look at some of the throwaway stuff in the background in more detail like an advert for dog clothes (like GAP) because people are filling the gap children have left with pets.

You can also look at some of the newspapers and it's chilling to see ones that say "Britain Decides! 73% vote to ban illegal immigrants" that don't feel a million miles away from home.

The film itself is amazing, though, and has so much going for it.
              The everyman getting dragged into events is a great premise (rather than a wisecracking Schwarzenegger hero, for example) and we're given a taste of the looming depression of man dying out and the muted colour palette reflect that.

Some really clever shots though with Director Alfonso CuarĂ³n's trademark long takes. The car chase sequence is amazing and to see how they did it was genius.
              Basically, they built a car with the cameraman in a kind of roofbox and drivers on the outside of car for the front and back (when the car reverses away from danger).

It's peppered with really nice shots using extra information about the story in the background.

I loved this shot in a brief moment of quiet:

Comment

Watched an old 1971 Albert Finney movie called Gumshoe, taped off a channel called Talking Pictures.

I love crazy late-60s/early-70s movies, especially British ones, but this was up its own arse in all the wrong ways, I'd only recommend it as an odd remnant of the past.

I also found the casual racism that's bandied about to be uber-bizarro. Serious, you have to watch it, it's very odd these days. I'm not even saying this as some moral crusader, more as someone bloody fascinated by it all.

Comment

Anyway, Leon Ahoy! , I think it was you, I think The Swimmer is back on Talking Pictures doing the rounds again so watch out for it!!

Comment

Close. Boring nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      Close. Boring nonsense.

That's a bit harsh?

Why should we close the thread because you think JazzFunk's posts are boring nonsense?

I find it fascinating the curios he manages to watch.

Oh... wait. You watched the Netflix film "Close".

Comment

3 Ninjas Kick Back.

I suspect it was worse than Close.

My son liked it though, which i why I put it on.

Comment

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night and really enjoyed it.

It came out in October, so it's had an amazing cinematic run and they've also started showing sing along versions!

With these kind of things, I find it fascinating about how they chose what to show, what to omit and what to use artistic licence with.

Strange that Sacha Baron Cohen left the movie because he said that the band wanted the film to continue after Mercury's death and show them going from strength to strength afterwards, but that's exactly what the final film is.
                          He also said that the band wanted to preserve his legacy, rather than show the stuff SBC was excited by like the parties FM had, with people walking around with cocaine on their heads.
                          The band said they wanted a less known and non-comedic actor to play the role.

Brian Singer left the project about two thirds through production and Dexter "Press Gang" Fletcher stepped in to finish the film.
                          It's amazing it got made at all!

Rami Malek does a great job of playing Mercury, especially when he's performing live, but he's not perfect.
                          I found his false teeth off-putting and too much like exaggerated fancy-dress.
                          I'm also unsure of his portrayal of Mercury as a total misfit who didn't fit in anywhere.
                          Literally, every interaction he has with anyone is awkward.
                          Malek's character is perfect for him in Mr. Robot, but I've always felt Mercury was flamboyant, but never weird, which is how he plays him.

There's a bit of artistic licence like making out that nobody was phoning donations to Live Aid until Queen played and interactions that nobody else saw are played for dramatic effect.

Aside from those gripes, it was a really interesting film that was a lot of fun and had a lot of heart.

The Live Aid scenes are brilliant and are shot so dramatically, it's really gripping. Glad the home release will have the whole performance.

I'll be honest, my favourite line in the whole film was when:

Mike Myers, playing EMI executive Ray Foster, complains that he doesn't want Bohemian Rhapsody to be the lead single because it's to long, saying "No-one is going to be head-banging in the car to Bohemian Rhapsody." Meta joke!

I have to say that I found Gwilym Lee's performance as Brian May uncanny.
                          He looked and sounded just like him.

Comment

Watched a couple of ridiculous ones Thurs/Fri.

Thursday brought us Danny Boyle's 'Trance', which was insanely ridiculous, stupidly so. It beggars belief, I won't even start with the plot. It's truly mental rubbish with a plot and characters that defy all logic. But it's entertaining rubbish...maybe?

Hmmmmpf.

(what the **** WAS that???!!)

Then onto Gallowwalkers*, taped off teh Horror Channel, a Wesley Snipes supernatural Western started during his "tax difficulty" period in mid-2006 and completed in 2012.

(*actually, the opening credits make it look like "GalloWWalkers")

It's a mess but occasionally looks beautiful. It looks authentic spaghetti western at times, no fakeness. But it's a terrible film, really didn't have a clue what was goin on and Snipes's beard looks - to be frank - *ridiculous*.

Sort ya chin out, Snipes!

Anyhoo, I was absolutely bleedin mystified, something about gunslingers that don't quite die proper and our Wes has to sort them out. But it's not as fun as that. And I hear it only looks stylish because it's ripping off Jodorowsky's "El Topo". But I've never seen that so can't say owt.

Comment

I watched Pitch Perfect and really enjoyed it. It was funny. Made me think of Fast and Furious movies and how a basic race structure would work better, more like Tokyo Drift. Yes, I was thinking of Fast and Furious while watching Pitch Perfect.

Also watched Source Code. That was really good.

Comment

Actually, I tell a lie!

There is one good thing in GalloWWalkers and that is Derek Griffiths off 80s telly playing an undead with a lizard's arse grafted on the back of his head because his character thinks it will withstand the sun better than human skin.

He really is the only good thing in it. And he's only in it like 17 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                                X