Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, I was thinking about rmoxon yesterday night in bed.

Just popped in there completely unannounced.

Comment

The dirty pig.

I watched CASE 39 about five hours ago. Taped off Film4. Renee Zellweger and Ian McShane and...a child.

No spoiler but I'm saying it's a '15'-rated supernatural sort of movie and I don't wanna spoiler owt but what I'm saying is that you could purr-obably easily kinda guess what type of...child...it is...

Anyway, it was good! A very deft handling of what could've been predictable boredom in someone else's hands. Really nowt going beyond 7.9% but it was enjoyable throughout.

Cool!
      Last edited by JazzFunk; 06-10-2019, 04:14.

Comment

If it wasn't close to Halloween it'd get less but I'm in the spirit and I'd rather watch this than A CHRISTMAS HORROR STORY.

I've dropped that film's marks to 4.9%. This does that 'changeling' thang better, to boot.

Comment

Lass who plays the child though...she's horrendously brill.

Precocious, untouchable, twatty, just plain horrible!

Great acting, very memorable!!!

Comment

I watched John Wick 2. It was pretty good. Felt very similar to the first. Made me laugh out loud several times with the idea that seemingly pretty much everybody is an assassin. But it’s a cool film.

Like the first, it’s interesting to me in that it is full of cliches and silliness and totally revels in its violence and yet somehow my brain manages to file it away as an upper tier movie.

Comment

Watched Blad Runner for probably the first time in years last night. My wife had never seen it. Made in '82 but it's still just absolutely beautiful. Ok, some effects are showing there age, but from a design viewpoint it's just incredible, still.

Comment

Skyscraper

A one-legged Dwayrockson accesses world's tallest skyscraper via a crane while being filmed from a helicopter to the delight of people on the ground. His wifelet, played by Neve Campbell who I haven't seen in donkeys, and two children are in the skyscraper which has been set on fire and haxxored to disable the safety mechanisms. Neve and her son manage to escape to enter HK's own Motherboy contest.

Back in the skyscraper, Dway-dway is forced to delay daddy-daughter day after she's kidnapped, but he uses duck tape in imaginative ways to re-engage the requisite subroutines(hacker-speak for the settings menu), then holds a huge security door open with his prosthetic leg before saving daughter dearest and, subsequently, the day.

It's all rather silly, but my standards have slipped such that I award it a cloud-stroking 5 storeys out of 7.

Comment

X-Men: Dark Phoenix
                  Hard to really say anything different than reviews. Riddled with issues and actually worse than X-Men 3 by a sizeable margin. It feels like another Studio Mandate movie, it's the only way I can see someone putting Sophie Turner in the front and centre of a tentpole release because she's so void of likeability. The character is completely lacking in development and it'll never not be staggering that no-one at Fox thought continuity matters as the film makes absolutely no sense in context of X1-3, DOFP or even Apocalypse. There are no stakes at all to what's happening, it's all just a really boring retread with a much inferior version of a character audiences never really cared for in the first place. Logan took Wolverine out on a high, Dark Phoenix is Fox taking the franchise out like an ill old dog at the vets.

Rambo: Last Blood
                  I kind of have two thoughts on this film which affect my view of it. The first is taking it as a Rambo film which is the obvious one and the film immediately stumbles with it, the character just doesn't sit well in this. I get 10 years have passed but he's too domesticated which doesn't gel well with the idea that he's digging tunnels etc. The fourth film made sense but that's because he was the outcast he always felt he was, reluctant to be pulled into action and brooding with the brutality of the world he was trying to hide within. In this one he's accepted and all too quick to jump at the chance to mash some faces. The montage really drives home how out of place this film feels and I think part of the issue is that Rambo 4 left things at the right place and it's hard to justify a call to action from where it left off. In the end you have a poor entry on many fronts

The second view is to try and ignore that and take it more as just a generic Stallone action film, on that front it's much easier to watch. I was fine enough with the revenge plot on it's own 'non-Rambo' terms because to be honest I didn't really see much about it that was different to countless other films with the same plot, the film is effectively Taken 1 and 2 rolled together. It manages to convey enough of the sex trafficking circuit to make my missus blub uncontrollably so there's some weight to the personal stakes too and I know a lot has been made of how the film handles the female character but if you're going to tackle the subject of such a criminal activity this incarnation is more likely than Taken's where she attempts to turn into Mini-Neeson as the series progresses.

I'd still like to see a Rambo: Last Blood Part II. There's a small window to try and salvage it into a better ending if they can steer it back towards Rambo IV territory.

Joker
                  This was good, it entirely rests on Phoenix though. It's a well crafted enough story and is well delivered but I definitely didn't leave feeling like it was a film I needed to see more than once or that I needed to see more of this incarnation or its canon of Batman mythology. It's an interesting 'what if' scenario, breaking down how someone might come to become the Joker but at the same time proves the point that the character only works when you know little about him. This does a good job of explaining how the characters various traits could exist but it's very much a tale of that journey, he's only really arguably the Joker at the very end of the film which is a wise choice.

Comment

Last Blood was wank.

Reading that back makes it sound like I need to see a doctor...

Anyway, I finally saw The Philadelphia Experiment , which has nothing to do with Tom Hanks' AIDS drama or even the cream cheese, it's about a secret Navy experiment into cloaking warships that went awry and instead of going radar invisible, it completely vanished, then returned with the crew either burned to a crisp or fused into the hull of the ship.

I've always wanted to see it but it's never been on telly, but I spotted it on Prime and I'm currently reading about it in "Beyond The Sea", so it seemed right to watch it.

It stars Michael Paré and Bobby Di Cicco as sailors on the experimental ship who are sent 41 years into the future when they jump overboard when the project goes wrong. A team of scientist, including Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day), are in hot pursuit as they go on the run with hostage Nancy Allen (Lewis in Robocop).

It's pretty much bobbins and it's funny seeing a fish-out-of-water in "futuristic" 1984, but Allen is particularly charismatic and I wanted to see how it turned out, but it's another forgotten sci-fi because it's fairly forgettable.

You seen this [MENTION=2725]Baseley09[/MENTION]?

Comment

Yeah got the dvd! Cool movie it's a shame Michael Pare didnt make it bigger liked him in a number of movoes for of this time
                      There's another excellent ship time traveller called the Final Countdown with Martin Sheen.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        Watched Blad Runner
                        Is this the one where Harrison Ford's character has a UTI?

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          Skyscraper

It's all rather silly, but my standards have slipped such that I award it a cloud-stroking 5 storeys out of 7.
                          You could say that, as a film, it's not without floors...

Comment

I hear it was reaching for new heights of silliness.

Comment

This is really scraping the bottom of the barrel guys

Comment

Collosal. On Netflix. Watch it. Great ending too. Very silly.

Comment

Working...
                                X