This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    It was rated PG on Prime, but there was so much swearing, I had to turn the volume down and turn the subtitles on as my daughter was pottering around with Duplo.
    You son'bitch.
    Gimme dat talka!

Comment

T2 Transporting - Such a brilliant and worthy sequel. It connects on different levels ... what's real and what's fictional, your own memories and nostalgia and the character's, them getting old and maybe feeling sentimental for the past and, if you were in your 20s when you saw the first film, you can connect with that too. Showing them as kids adds another emotional layer too. It's clever stuff and very entertaining. Loved watching this again.

Spider-Man 2 - Thought I'd go back after discussing in a different thread. So many great moments ... it's still such a pleasure to go back to. Great Bruce Campbell cameo too.

Comment

Paternity complete, here's the hit list for October so far to catch us up:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
        Tried to watch this through the prism of when it was released, by that metric it would be mesmerising. By current standards it's slow and doesn't really go that far other than the highlight of Dreyfuss's ****y dad.

Bill and Ted: Face the Music
        I'm glad I pushed through the first two as they are pretty required viewing to appreciate this one. Winters is on point and it's good of Reeves to do something like this again. It wears its budget on its sleeve and wraps things up nicely enough, there's not much value beyond being an epilogue for the fanbase but they did a solid job of it.

The Rescuers
        Always one of the slower slogs of the Disney output but it remains oddly charming in a retro kind of way.

Silver Streak
        There are comedic elements but it doesn't play like a straight comedy, Wilder trying to work out the apparent murder of a professor aboard a train he struggles to stay on board of. The end of the film really reminded me of how much the pre-CG era offered as well.

Taxi Driver
        I'm really not sure if this is another example of age being a factor but this as a slog as well. De Niro is good throughout but the post-senator bit felt too much of a veer with the ending not really feeling that satisfying. Bonus points for long haired Harvey Keitel though.

Tried Silent Movie and Robin and Marian also but both were guff.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          T2 Transporting
          How was this mashup of Terminator 2, The Transporter and Trainspotting?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            How was this mashup of Terminator 2, The Transporter and Trainspotting?
            I was hoping it might pay homage to all three but it was just about beverage bulk haulage

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              Paternity complete, here's the hit list for October so far to catch us up:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
              Tried to watch this through the prism of when it was released, by that metric it would be mesmerising. By current standards it's slow and doesn't really go that far other than the highlight of Dreyfuss's ****y dad.
              I really like Close Encounters but cannot imagine Spielberg making a film like that these days. To see a man abandon his family like that for an obsession is a really sh1tty thing to do. I wonder if the director was aiming that at anyone in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                I really like Close Encounters but cannot imagine Spielberg making a film like that these days. To see a man abandon his family like that for an obsession is a really sh1tty thing to do. I wonder if the director was aiming that at anyone in particular?
                I rather like that the film doesn't cop out for a happy ending. Roy is driven by something beyond his control ... just look at his behaviour throughout the film.

Saying that, pretty sure Spielberg has said he wouldn't make it like that now.

Comment

I assumed it was another thing with Spielbergs obsession with troubled father figures

Comment

Capsule reviews. Three:

1. FRIGHT NIGHT. The 80s original. Dated a tad but still classy, sensual, stylish, fun, still deffo worth a watch. Wouldn't mind seeing the remake, tbh.

2. LEPRECHAUN: ORIGINS. Or was it : RETURNS??? Looking on Wikipedia, I can't really tell. It was very, very boring. Got angry near the end as it was taking too long to end. Went and made a cuppa tea before it had even finished.

3. THE FOG. The 2005 remake. Terrible remake, misses the eerie point, the first shot of the CGI Fog looming over the sea is worse than a Saturn cutscene. Music ABSOLUTELY misses the point. Horrible remake, hammer nails into your legs for a hundred minutes instead.

Comment

Watched Borat 2. Generally enjoyed it, though a couple of moments were excruciating and a few of the jokes fell flat. But overall good, and not as tedious as the trailer led me to believe. The scene with Giuliani: the whole sequence is quite unpleasant. He comes across as a weird creepy old guy who’s too vain to realise he’s being set up.

Comment

Following [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION]’s lead a couple of pages back, I watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Really enjoyed the story, the SFX and most of the characters - even if it was all a bit Star Warsy at times - but yeah, the lead male just lacked the charisma to carry off his role. Still a lot of fun though.

Comment

^got that new, sealed and even in a cardboard DVD slipcase from One Below. A mere 99p.

I'm very curious about how epic the visuals look, I'm really looking forward to seeing it, that's when I get around to it...although it's been doing the TV rounds at the mo, I'll probably end up taping it in HD instead and watching it on the Sky box.

I'll still have that DVD sitting gathering dust, new n' sealed in a decade, if I'm still around.

I always thought the lead lacked charisma in the trailer, I saw it at the cinema and could tell it would likely flop. But those visuals!

Comment

Russell Crowe's latest "Unhinged", was enjoyable weekend fodder. He looks like an absolute unit, some superb kills and a few decent chase sequences. 3.5/5 skulls.

Comment

Ended up watching some crappy, ghosty, horror sorta thing I'd taped off BBC1, earlier, whilst I ate my balti, called THE UNINVITED (2009).

Except...it wasn't really a crappy, ghosty, horror sorta thang, it was more a mystery movie sorta thang and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Has a bit of a TWIN PEAKS/ALAN WAKE feel with the setting and it's beautiful to look at quite a lot, this was filmed in an excellent place!

In the end, as a mystery sorta movie, it's not up there with Lynch or Hitchcock but it aims for the stars and lands pleasantly and awkwardly a wee bit away (but still quite high), on some kind of jolly plateau.

A cuddly 7/10 but only to be watched once, Fincher's done this plot way better before...

Comment

I watched I’m Thinking of Ending Things. I loved the book but always figured it would be very hard to make it work as a movie. I was right. In spite of some great performances and a perfect atmosphere and really good moments, it just couldn’t translate to the screen. About half way through, I thought they’d pull it off but as it got closer to the end it felt more like the end of Monty Python’s Holy Grail. Not sure what anyone who hasn’t read the book would make of it but I suspect they would have no idea what the movie was about.

Comment

Working...
                                X