Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sin City and A Dame To Kill For. These films are wrong in so many ways yet they're fun. Don't know whether they appeal to my 12-year-old self or it's just refreshing to to see something that breaks the rules.

Comment

Bloodshot
      Bad CG aside, one or two of the action sequences were okay but this was generally more forgettable franchise false start fodder for Diesel.

The Corpse Bride
      Only saw this on release at the cinema, it was better than I remembered if nowhere near Nightmare's level of quality

Borat: Subsequent Movie
      The key scenes are good and still as cringeworthy as expected but due to the practicalities of filming there's a lot more filler here so it's not as good as the first. The actress playing his daughter absolutely nails her role though.

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
        Following @Blobcat’s lead a couple of pages back, I watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Really enjoyed the story, the SFX and most of the characters - even if it was all a bit Star Warsy at times - but yeah, the lead male just lacked the charisma to carry off his role. Still a lot of fun though.
        When you consider what he looked like in the comics:

The guy did a decent enough job, but was totally miscast. They needed a 90s Brendan Fraser.

I heard it was to try and make him more age-appropriate for the female lead, and avoid James Bond-syndrome of a much older man hooking up with a young girl... But did it occur to them they could've made the actress older too?

Comment

Last night I watched On The Rocks, a Sophia Coppola film with Bill Murray and Rashida Jones. It's an AppleTV+ exclusive movie, I think. Bill Murray is of course brilliant and some of the writing for his character is wonderful. But the rest of the film, unfortunately, didn't have much too it and, ultimately, I found it predictable and unsatisfying. Anyone hoping for a hint of Lost In Translation won't find it here. Still, Murray is fantastic and any scene where he gets to lead is entertaining.

Comment

I watched Cronenberg's THE BROOD for the first time in about 38yrs tonite. The Horror Channel are doing a nice version of it and I've never seen it in widescreen and looking this good.

Lots of lurid yellow, yellow is everywhere. Very wintry and atmospheric. Howard Shore's score occasionally touches those divine, slightly sad dramatic notes that send a zigzag jolt of cold gold emotion up the mid-torso.

This isn't Cronenberg's greatest. It never was. It's a bit dull, tbh. It always was. I always liked RABID and SHIVERS much better. Even SCANNERS...despite the exploding heads...it's quite pedestrian, really.

But it has Patrick McGoohan.

AND Michael Ironside.

But, yeah, THE BROOD ain't his best. But Ollie Reed, Samantha Eggar and Art Hindle are all great and it's still got that lovely, cold, vintage Canadian atmos.

6.7 harelipped placentas out of 10.

Comment

Have now stewed a bit on having finally watched Parasite last week. There's some things I'm not mad about, mainly around the abundance of symbolism and how heavy-handed it is, but on the whole I really liked it.

I found the point when the tone changes to a much darker one a little too jarring too, but this felt quite intentional

Comment

Lawman a very tough, gritty western. Michael Winner directing a great cast including Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan. Very watchable.

Comment

80s horror Humongous - teen crash boat on an island where a mother had died and left her mutant son alone. Crud.

The new Witches. Yeah its OK, not a patch on the older version but watchable.

Comment

I got BFI Player on Prime last month when they were doing a three months for £2.97 offer. Since then I’ve watched a dozen or so ‘classic’ films, most really good and some weird (but still good). They have a good selection of J-horror on there, but I’ve stuck to older Japanese and European movies.

Anyway, long story short, I watched ‘A Special Day’ last night, starring Sophia Loren, and it was excellent.

Comment

Forgot I also watched the 2019 animated Addams Family. Not a big fan of the visuals, which feels like a pretty significant part of an animated film. A few gags fell really, really flat, but a couple here and there landed too. Not much was done to quell the assumption that it's there just as a vehicle for an all-star cast - it's not awful, but it's pretty mediocre.

Comment

Halloween
                        Night before the day itself and this was the viewing choice. It's still not a scary film just like none of the entries have ever been and on rewatch it's a reminder as to how little actually happens over the runtime and yet it remains an enjoyable watch and as part of working through the main films of the 1970's it does stand out in terms of the quality of the film making here with the exception of the first murder scene where the actresses acting is beyond awful in her death moment.

Halloween

then on the night itself we switched to watching the re-sequel from two years ago. It has some flaws, mostly through the weak attempts to inject humour, but overall it's a solid sequel.

Bruno
                        Having watched both Borat's the missus was just missing the experience of this original follow up. Given its targets it still misses the mark more so than Borat does but even after all these years that Celine Dion infused finale remains a highpoint across all three films.

Charlie's Angels

The recent new entry that is kind of a sequel to all the previous entries in a slight nod way. To be honest it's not great but it's not terrible either, kind of straddling a middle tier level of blandly inoffensive. If anything the main notable aspect is Kristen Stewart who is probably the most likeable in this I've ever seen her be.

Cats
                        I had to try and even with the incredibly low expectations set by the reviews, trailers etc it is a staggering car wreck of an experience that is awful in just about every conceivable way. I've never seen the play itself but it's hard to imagine it's good either because this is so utterly irredeemable and as far as I'm aware it isn't that big of a deviation. Mind numbing.

Comment

Watched a couple of classics on the Nightshifts .

Watched the overlooked Runaway (1984) and the sadly underated Halloween III: Season Of the Witch.

Comment

Last night I thought to myself that I should do something good for someone. So for [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] I sat down and watched The Truman Show. The whole thing. And Jim Carrey’s face is still goofy. When he smiles, it’s like his lips peel back over teeth that multiply and he’s about to do that stupid awful Mask face... but he holds back a bit here. I just don’t like being reminded of his face.

But Carrey’s face aside, yeah, it’s a good film. I found it quite a sad film and they don’t make a big deal of that, it’s just kind of there. Like an entire life has been a lie and nobody involved really gets redeemed or, alternatively, punished. I found that very interesting and it makes the film far less cheesy than it could have been. It’s a strength. It’s like the story is presented as is without working too hard and too obviously to make you feel the stuff you’re supposed to feel in movies.

I liked it. It’s a smart film, well made and well acted.

Comment

I'm so happy that you've watched it.
                              I knew you'd get a lot from it if you got past the fear of gurning.

Yeah, it's not a revenge flick and

that open ending is the best resolution. Taking their ownership of him away is punishment for them.

Those final scenes when his fingers touch the wall and confirm his fears are spine-tingling and Carrey is amazing.

Thanks for watching it, it's like how my kids refuse to put gravy on their roast dinner and eat it dry. It's infuriating as you know they'd love it!

Comment

The reaction of the viewers at the end is the bit that stays with me.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                it's like how my kids refuse to put gravy on their roast dinner and eat it dry. It's infuriating as you know they'd love it!
                                I made a roast dinner last night and one was consumed dry

Comment

Working...
                                X