Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Greyhound last night and was really disappointed. I thought the trailers made it look great and I was therefore really looking forward to it. Seemed to me to be just a load of folks shouting co-ordinates at each other.

Comment

The Avengers: Endgame

We hadn't seen this again since the cinema and I felt it was high time. Again, the three hours just flew by. It's such a good film. I can't wait to see what they do with phase 4 onwards.

Comment

[MENTION=2725]Baseley09[/MENTION], I'd like to hear your thoughts on Kill Command. I think you'd like it.

I saw Kingsmen was on Netflix, so I watched the pub fight and the church fight, which is so well done. The use of sound is great, with the congregation building to a frenzy as the slow part of Freebird switches to that epic solo, but as it cuts away, the music drops to just the drumbeat, then back to the action, which is made to look like one shot.

Talking of one shot, I also watch Extraction last night on Netflix and it was brilliant. A lot better than I expected. I think it owes a lot to The Raid, but Director Sam Hargrave earned his chops as Stunt Co-ordinator on the last 3 Hunger Games films, Captain America: Civil War, The Accountant, Suicide Squad, The Accountant, Atomic Blonde, Wolf Warrior 2, Avengers: Infinity War, Deadpool 2 and Avengers: Endgame.

The action sequences are particularly good, as you'd imagine and there's a spectacular 12 minute "one-take" sequence that has a car chase, cat and mouse race through a housing block, a street fight and a massive explosion. I actually watched that sequence again after the film finished.

The plot is flimsy but engaging enough, although everyone has a sob story, apart from the countless police that get dispatched by all factions.

Well worth action fans checking out!

Comment

I don't know where to put this, but it would fit in here, the UK and US threads, tbh.

HyperNormalisation.

Welcome to the post-truth world. You know it’s not real. But you accept it as normal.

"We live in a time of great uncertainty and confusion. Events keep happening that seem inexplicable and out of control. Donald Trump, Brexit, the War in Syria, the endless migrant crisis, random bomb attacks. And those who are supposed to be in power are paralysed - they have no idea what to do.

This film is the epic story of how we got to this strange place. It explains not only why these chaotic events are happening - but also why we, and our politicians, cannot understand them.

It shows that what has happened is that all of us in the West - not just the politicians and the journalists and the experts, but we ourselves - have retreated into a simplified, and often completely fake version of the world. But because it is all around us we accept it as normal.

But there is another world outside. Forces that politicians tried to forget and bury forty years ago - that then festered and mutated - but which are now turning on us with a vengeful fury. Piercing though the wall of our fake world.
          "

It was a bit mind-blowing, to be honest, with events I was aware of growing up but before I was politically active, however a lot of it resonates today and ties in with what I've said in the UK thread about how I'm learning to question not what is being said but why it's being said now. Whilst we're all laughing and making memes about Cameron's Pig-gate, what are we not looking at? Whilst we laugh at a Barnard Castle Eye Test, what are we being distracted from?

There's a section where it talks about the US thinking Russia were more militarily capable than they were and pursued the Stealth fighter and bomber plans. When people saw the test flights, they actively released fake UFO/alien memos, so people talked about that, rather than the true reason for seeing lights in the sky:
          "The plan with the UFOs was a blurring of fact and fiction, but it was part of an even broader program. The President's advisors had given it a name. They called it "Perspective Management" and it became a central part of the American government during the 1980s. The aim was to tell dramatic stories that grabbed the public imagination, not just about the Middle-East, but about Central America and the Soviet Union and it didn't matter if the story was true or not providing they distracted people and you, the politician from having to deal with the intractable complexities of the real world."

Some other choice quotes:
          "(Left-wing German political thinker) Ulrich Beck said that any politician who believed they could take control of society, and drive it forward to build a better future, was now seen as dangerous."

"(Trade stability prediction system) Aladdin has proved to be incredibly successful. The assets it guides and controls now amount to 15 trillion which is 7% of the world's total wealth."

"Artificial intelligence changed direction and started to create new systems that did just that, but on a giant scale. They were called intelligent agents. They worked by monitoring individuals, gathering vast amounts of data about their past behaviour and then looked for patterns and correlations from which they could predict what they would want in the future."

"As the intelligence systems online gathered ever more data, new forms of guidance began to emerge. Social media created filters - comes algorithms that looked at what individuals liked - and then fed more of the same back to them."

I think The Great Hack (Netflix) is also up for a watch at some point.

Comment

Adam Curtis has made some really thought provoking documentaries over the years. If you like Hypernormalisation, you could also check out The Power of Nightmares (discussing the relationship between terrorism & the state), and All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace (an examination of our relationship with computers). But really, everything he does is worth watching.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=2946]gordon[/MENTION]. This was my first experience of his work, so will seek out more, but I have to be in the right frame of mind because they're bloody depressing.

The other one on the iPlayer is Bitter Lake, but I'd not heard of the others, thank you.
              Adam Curtis’s epic story of how Britain, America and Russia got lost in Afghanistan.

Comment

Watched Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood again last night. Loved it in the cinema (my foty last year) and loved it all over again at home (very nice UHD release). It's one of the best buddy movies I've seen ... and every second in the company of Cliff and Rick is a pleasure, such is the dynamic and authenticity of their bromance, summed up perfectly by Cliff's line: a buddy who is more than a brother and a little less than a wife. The whole film just rolls along beautifully, delighting constantly, a treat for the eyes and ears from the opening to the very end. There aren't many 2hr40min films I don't want to end but this I didn't want to be over. Might be my joint fave QT film along with Jackie Brown.
                Last edited by Atticus; 13-07-2020, 11:41.

Comment

There used to be a time I'd clamour to see a Tarantino flick. I saw Pulp Fiction at the cinema twice, probably did for Kill Bill.
                  I'm not sure why it took so long to see Basterds and why I've not seen this yet.

Comment

My interest in his films has waned over the years, but with this it just feels like he's made his masterpiece. 1969 Hollywood looks amazingly authentic too ... must have been a real labour of love.

Comment

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] intersting I'll add Kill Command to the wish list sounds my kind of bag.

When I watched Hypernormalisation I felt like I was wondering the streets questioning reality for a few days, heavy stuff.

Comment

Two very different experiences, Base-o!

After HyperNormalisation, I feel a bit like John Nada in They Live - I can see the truth, but nobody around me seems bothered.

Comment

Watched Kill Command tonight. Good stuff. And some mean-looking robots - the CGI was great.

Comment

Watched the remake (???) of ROAD GAMES. It was an old VHS pre-cert I used to see around ALL the time back in the 1980s. But I never actually saw it so don't know how this compares at all!!!

Anyway, it was brilliantly stylish. It had a lot of substance and brill cinematography (filmed in Kent and France, nonetheless).

It wasn't a great movie, you could see the twist coming a mile off but somehow the intense atmos this contains makes it worth it, anyway, as a funky mood piece.

Soundtrack, again, amazing, and screams Michael Mann, 1984. Also love how it keeps flicking betwixt French and English language and subs. Really confusing but also makes you feel a great sense of detachment.

It's...really decent. Very stylish, very mature, very authentic (you could imagine Alex Cox premiering this on 'Moviedrome' in late '88).

This is a little culty classicy thang. I'll have to seek out the orig.

PS I taped it off The Horror Channel. Mr Predictable, moi???

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                              Watched Kill Command tonight. Good stuff. And some mean-looking robots - the CGI was great.
                              Ah great, I'm glad someone else has watched it.
                              I don't want to overhype it, but it was definitely an unexpected treat.
                              As you say, the CGI was really good and you usually couldn't see the seams, unlike some bigger productions.

Comment

I watched Cannon Ball Run 2 yesterday. Man, that's a very poorly edited movie with so many over dubbed lines as well. But, as poorly made as it is, I still had a chuckle at it. Memories of my childhood came rushing back too as my dad and I watched the movie together. I always loved the orangutan.

Comment

Working...
                                X