This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    I watched a very strange Ethan Hawke movie called PREDESTINATION, I taped it off movies4men around Septemberish.
    Eesh, I remember really not liking this movie - and that's as someone who gives a very wide berth to time travel storylines.

Comment

Yeah. It's very strange and pretentious. But I'll admit it's at least got a bit of originality/unusualness to it that some might like.

Loads of peeps on YouTube love it but then quite a lot of YouTubers seem to like a lot of middling stuff.

I think someone will like it. Like with PONTYPOOL (except that's better-made). I thought that was meh, too.

Comment

Downton Abbey: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

This took a while to get going, but then the rain came pouring down and it went up a gear. I knew I would've regretted not seeing in the cinema but we managed to find it being shown at a reasonable time. The theme song was suitably jazzed up for cinema, but the visuals were like TV series(which is a testament to the series' quality). I was hoping for a montage involving lovely close-ups of silverware being polished, etc, but I guess they wanted to keep things moving at a good pace. Lovely stuff.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        I watched Tokyo Drift again the other night. A very simple movie with an easy story, good visuals, great sound and Sung Kang, who I think could be the most charismatic actor on screen. I love it.
        We thoroughly enjoyed it. As for Sung Kang, his acting range knows no bounds:

Comment

Had a boys film night (me and sons, not mates) last night and watched Mad Max Fury Road. It might be the freakiest thing they've ever watched ... that I know about anyway It went down a treat ... but I still feel it loses a MASSIVE amount compared to the big screen.

Comment

I watched this again last month as loads of people were (rightly) saying this was one of the best films of the decade.

3D specs and the projector FTW!

On my commute, my mind was wandering and I was thinking about how weird FR is, and it is strange.
            The muscly son, carrying the small one on his back, swigging milk and whatnot is a nutter.
            Last edited by QualityChimp; 13-02-2020, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              On my commute, my mind was wandering and I was thinking about how weird FR is, and it is strange.
              I'd forgotten a lot of it ... the boys did some proper double takes (the milk providers for instance) ... glad my other half was out

Comment

Watched Wind River on Film4+1 tonight. Not at all bad, a neo-modern western murder mystery set on snowy American Indian tribal reservation land.

Kept me watching until the end but it was not difficult to guess much of the plot and where it was going long before it was fully unravelled.

Comment

Robocop remake 2014.

Was ready for a big disappointment but really enjoyed it, stayed fairly faithful to the original without trying to outdo it. Nice homage to 'I'll buy that for a dollar' but no 'good business is where you find it'.

Thought the characters and dialogue could have been fleshed out a bit more and would have liked the first half - the bit before he gets let loose - shortened and the subsequent story lengthened, not as good as the original but overall yep very good.

Comment

Yeah surprised me too. I can imagine if it was the only one you'd seen, you'd think it was great

Comment

I thought it was almost all pants... almost because that part where you see him without the suit was haunting and brilliant.

This weekend I watched To All The Boys PS I Love You. The sequel to To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before. Like the first one, it’s a really easy watch and is nice and sweet and exactly what I need when the world is on fire.

Comment

Just got back from watching Parasite. Brilliant. Try and see it knowing as little as possible.

Comment

Ford vs Ferrari. I'm not the world's biggest petrol head, but Christian Bale, Matt Damon and a viscerally thrilling plot made this one zip by, despite the 2&1/2 hour runtime. It's the story of Ford's 1960s attempts to beat Ferrari at the Le Mans 24 hour race, and even with some corporate interference cliches it's pretty good. 7.5 spanners out of 10.

Comment

Need to see that. I also think the story of Lamborghini would make a good story after the tractor company owner got pissed off that Enzo Ferrari wouldn't fix his car, so started making his own sportscars.

I watched You Were Never Really Here (2017 via Netflix).
                            Directed by Lynne Ramsay (We Need To Talk About Kevin), based on the book by Jonathan Ames, it sees Joaquin Phoenix as an ex-soldier who now is a mercenary who can be hired to rescue kidnapped girls. He is hired by a State Senator to discreetly rescue his daughter, but ensure he uses his notoriously brutal methods to do so.

Things don't go to plan...

Yeah, I really enjoyed this, but it's worth noting it's a character piece, not an action film. Almost the opposite as the action is really muted to either shots of already-downed assailants or CCTV footage. It's not "Taken".

It's hard not to compare with Joker with similarities of a man pushed to the edge, but I thought this worked better as there is rhyme and reason for what happens, rather than he's a bit bullied. IMHO!
                            There are also parallels with Taxi Driver, but they're only surface comparisons.

It's only about 90 minutes and really streamlines the story so that it focuses on Phoenix's character and what he's mentally going through. There's a brilliant soundtrack by Johnny Greenwood that elevates it further by adding tension or discomfort to the scenes.

Comment

Sonic the Hedgehog
                              What to say... it's not great, but it's also not awful either? I think it mostly gets by because there's so little about the Sonic canon that the film playing liberally with elements is easy to go with. The real world aspects are everything that drag the film down but then that's been true of the games since Adventure as well and it's less the fault of the actors and more that they're just not a great choice to begin with. You see a little bit of a Green Hill Zone looking island but that's broadly it, Sonic is likeable enough even if more annoying as well than historical to the games. Carrey is in full old school gurning form but he was by far the kids favourite character as a result. The basis is there for a sequel that really deep dives into the Sonic imagery but it 100% won't do that I can tell already, the real world aspects are too established now. It did the job, which for a game movie, especially one pitched at kids, is as much as you can hope for.

Comment

I won’t see Sonic at the pictures. But I’ll quite happily watch it at home. Maybe if it had more ‘wow’ imagery, I’d want to.

I like Carrey. He’s got a fine range as an actor, but it’s rarely called upon. His gurning shtick is marmite and old hat, but it’s his thing, he’s had a lot of success from it, and he was cast for a reason. Robotnik is a bit of a faceless non-entity in the games. Carrey appeals to the demographic and always has. It was a wise decision to cast him.

I’m still astounded as to how a video game adaptation hasn’t critically bombed. This had all the ingredients for a disaster. The turmoil it’s faced alone should have confirmed gashness. Be that measure, it’s a minor success. When even Neon ‘I find everything average at best’ Ignition says it’s ok, then it’s struck gold!

Comment

Working...
                                X