This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep Blue Sea 3
    Yes, it exists. The third film is loosely a sequel whereby following the events of the original film a rich guy restarted the shark experiments on another facility in the second film. At the end of it some of the sharks escaped and the third film see's those sharks reach a small sinking island where the last people of the island shanty town find themselves preyed upon by the sharks that some experts are trying to stop before they reproduce and decimate the ocean. Much like the last DTV movie, it's pretty awful. There's one okay jump moment but otherwise this is exactly what you'd expect.

Comment

I didn't even know there was a Deep Blue Sea 2.

Quite enjoyed the original, particularly S.L.Jackson getting munched and the shark almost cooking the cook in the microwave.

Comment

The Iron Mask - Arnies best performance since 80 days. Watched it with the parents as my ma loves this type of fantasy hokum. Watchable

Comment

I watched The Toy with Richard Pryor yesterday. Oh man, what a load of crap that was. I had expected it to be somewhat entertaining since it was directed by Richard Donner but no. Sad lazy gags, piss poor story and badly edited.

Comment

Shutter Island

I never ever try to predict the end of a film. I prefer to let it wash over me, where I absorb the story, then get wowed by the denouement, then mentally go back and pick out the clues there all along.

Yet, with this, I guessed the reality after 20 minutes.

It was ok. The performances were good. DiCaprio showed what a decent actor he is, and Banner did a solid job. The visuals were interesting throughout. I wonder if I was underwhelmed due to uncharacteristically guessing the ending, though.

Comment

Watched Wind River again on Film4 yesterday. Only saw it for the first time about four or five months ago and enjoyed it although it was a slow burner to begin with after a dramatic but, until much later, unexplained opening.

This time I actually appreciated that pacing decision more as it helps set the melancholic atmosphere reflected in the snowy landscape and backgrounds of the stoic characters involved with a host of social problems living on a modern day Indian Reservation.

Its not a great film but it is a good film with some excellent performances, from Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen in particular. When it gets brutal it gets really brutal too.

What I like is that it always remains effectively cinematic, a modern western, and in doing so avoids the drift towards the dour, depressing, issue lead, documentary like feel it could have had.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 16-08-2020, 13:49.

Comment

Building on Dogg’s Saucy Season, we watched Body Heat from 1981. William Hurt and Kathleen Turner with a bit of young Ted Danson and Mickey Rourke thrown in for good measure. It has a very old fashioned feel, especially with a score by John Barry, and at this stage all feels very predictable but that’s because a lot of the movies that came after it, such as Basic Instinct, borrowed a lot from this movie. It’s hot and steamy, in quite a literal sense so everyone has a layer of sweat and just reminded me that I can’t sleep at the moment due to the heat, but it’s also a very hot movie and Kathleen Turner plays it brilliantly. Hurt is a little harder to buy only because his character really makes a quick leap that is hard to empathise with... and yet once he does, the movie really gets going. It’s a good movie.

Then we watched Fatal Attraction. It’s funny watching Michael Douglas in this after Basic Instinct, which is a number of years later, because here he is a little chubby and looks a little like Mr Tumble from CBeebies. He’s kind of goofy. Glenn Close plays the psychotic woman perfectly and she’s pretty creepy. For one of my Saucy Season picks, it’s not actually all that sexy but it’s quite gripping and still holds up all these years later.

Comment

I found out the other day that they had to reshoot the ending for FA after audiences didn't like it.

In Japan the film released with the original ending and was well received.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                    I found out the other day that they had to reshoot the ending for FA after audiences didn't like it.

Not surprising, really. Them Japanese sure do love tentacles.

Comment

I watched The Lost Boys with one of my boys and he loved it. I really enjoyed watching it again too. Every moment of the film is entertaining. Even sax guy.

I also watched Total Recall with some mates. Still top Arnie fun and some of the practical special effects still look brilliant ... though it's aged nowhere near as well as the likes of Blade Runner.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

I didn’t know that. I must take a look and see if that ending is an extra on the blu.

Watched Disclosure last night with Michael Douglas and Demi Moore. It has Donald Sutherland in it too and he’s always great. It’s a twisty power trip movie where Demi Moore becomes Douglas’ boss and, after he rejects her, she makes his life hell but then it keeps revealing there is more and more to it. Mostly it’s pretty good and brings you along nicely but is almost hilariously utterly and totally ruined by a VR sequence that had us laughing out loud. Like he couldn’t just sit at a keyboard. 90s writer had to write in a VR sequence. It’s really funny.

But the film overcomes that. I have a suspicion that, if I worked back through the why of what happened, the movie makes no sense whatsoever but it carried me along through the story nicely.

Comment

The Peanut Butter Falcon

I'm not typically a Shia fan but this came up on my Netflix next to watch list, turned out to be not bad little road movie at all, had its funny bits, sad bits, nothing ground breaking but would recommend a watch.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                            The Peanut Butter Falcon

I'm not typically a Shia fan but this came up on my Netflix next to watch list, turned out to be not bad little road movie at all, had its funny bits, sad bits, nothing ground breaking but would recommend a watch.
                            Ah cheers, been meaning to watch this after seeing this brilliant interview. Shia comes across as a dude.

Particularly this bit where Shia praises Harry Roche for actually listening to the answers to the questions.
                            Last edited by QualityChimp; 19-08-2020, 09:31.

Comment

Watched The Marix Reloaded. It's pretty much as I remembered. I can't see anything beyond the cash-in. Characters are awful ... everything's just a bit cheesy and lacking any of the magic of the original ... but that chase is still entertaining, I'll give it that. But no more.

Then I watched Perfect Blue (based on a post I read in the 30 films thread). Definitely the work of a filmmaker with a really clear and focussed vision. Very tight, very clever at keeping you on your toes, wondering what's real and what isn't, and riveting right up to the end (and what a great note it ends on). Well observed take on celebrity personas and fandom. And it doesn't hold back on a couple of extreme scenes either ... quite shocking thinking back to how heavily publicised it was back in the VHS days. I'm not a massive fan of anime but this is a film that transcends the medium it's in. It's a brilliant psychological thriller first and foremost. Won't be for everyone but I thought it was brill. Picked up a rather nice blu-ray steel too.

Comment

I watched The Invisible Man last night and it’s good. A small, tight, tense film that doesn’t reach too beyond its means and does exactly what it needs to do. Builds tension really well, sells the sense of paranoia to the point where you’re just looking at parts of the frame and wondering whether the invisible guy is there. And it builds nicely and doesn’t outstay its welcome, ending in an obvious yet satisfying way.

Comment

Working...
                                X