This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gordon View Post
    Mother, another Bong movie. In a word: excellent.
    Yes. Very good indeed. Proper twisty turny. Brilliant.

Comment

Rewatched THE DARK KNIGHT (in full) for the first time since I saw it at the flicks back in 2008...when I felt it was VERY epic but also kind of unsatisfying and dark and soulless and miserable yet I kinda wanted to watch it again...

...and I couldn't wait to watch it again thinking I'd understand the little nuances more but instead found it to be dull, dark, very overlong, very Christopher Nolan boring, I really don't wanna watch this again.

I'm sad to say but it was worse the second time around and I thought it would be ACE.

Comment

ALSO forgot to say that I rewatched THE BURNING (1980) earlier in the week. I remember this being a brill FRIDAY THE 13TH-style video nasty slasher movie, def one of the better ones but alas time has not been so kind.

Main 'hero' is a creepy loser needy pervy guy who spends most of the time spying on women taking showers or people having sex like some icky voyeur. How in the hell is that the hero?

Also got a terrible Rick Wakeman score where he's not even trying. And it's the uncut version I saw and you can hardly see Tom Savini's great gore fx because it's edited so bad.

Weirdest thing is the intro where "Miramax" and "Harvey Weinstein" are all over the intro credits and there's about seven different Weinsteins in the closing ones.

Anyway...don't let me put you off. It's pretty good, for this type of film, tbh. Just I've seen it before and F13th is def miles better.

Comment

On Wednesday, I watched THE ICEMAN, been doing the rounds on Film4, recently.

Based on a true story about a stone-cold hitman who offed over a hundred peeps in his career but ALSO led a normal life where he doted over his wife and kids like a loyal old dachshund with slobbery jaws.

I reckon he would've been a bit nastier in real life but this pretty low key Mafia film caught my attention and I watched it to the end and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Ray Liotta is great as the baddie, on top form, and the main guy is brimming with GOODFELLAS-type menace, it's done well. Only prob is the natural light way of filming stuff can often make the screen look like it is bathed in piss-yellow.

Well worth a casual view, I liked it and it's done well!

Comment

I watched Uncut Gems last night. Cracking film, though it was more intense than I expected. Barely time to take a breath. It was gruelling. I felt gruelled afterwards. But satisfied. Bravo Netflix ... you backed a good one here.

Comment

My hero academia the movie heroes rising

Absolutely loved it but you have to be upto season 3 of the anime to understand it with no spoilers

Brilliant, really enjoyed it

Comment

Last night I saw (or didn't see) The Invisible Man and it was immense!

I really wanted to see it at the cinema as I'd been hearing it was a good communal experience, but as the film started with all those production company stings, the audience were really noisy and was getting anxious, but as soon as the actual film began, you could hear a pin drop as you worked out what was going on.

From there, it's a pretty relentless vehicle for tension as you're carried along by Elizabeth Moss' brilliant performance where you and her character are questioning her sanity, along with everyone around her.

I don't want to talk too much about it and I hear the trailer is like the movie in 2 minutes, so AVOID THE TRAILER, but I really recommend you go see this at the cinema ASAP!

Comment

I fancied switching my brain off last night so watched Terminator Dark Fate and it was just the tonic. Really enjoyed it. I'm not a real fan of the franchise ... I love the first one, only seen the first two, and that's it. I'm not saying this new one is a great Terminator film, but it's an enjoyable action film. And most of that enjoyment came from Arnie who, it must be said, is on outstanding form. His comedy moments should, on paper, push the film into parody territory but it doesn't, it works so well, and caught me off guard with some genuine laughs. I can see why it mightn't have been the film Terminator fans wanted but for a casual like me is was good fun.

Comment

Gonna rewatch BUBBA HO-TEP for the first time in about 13 years. Looking forward to it!

That and MASTERCHEF.

Comment

Just got back from seeing The Lighthouse. Something tells me I'll be dreaming (having nightmares) about the sea tonight.

Comment

I really want to see that. No idea what it’s even about but I’m intrigued.

Comment

Watched BUBBA HO-TEP.

It was actually two points better than I thought it was back in 2007. I was 32 then.

I'm now 45 and a quarter. This film makes sense when you get that sense you're finally getting a tad old n withered.

A lovely movie. Awwwww. And I found it WAAAAAAY funnier this time around, it's not a gutbust funny movie but by god was the script making me titter. Really witty, really funny.

JFK as well. They dyed him brown!!!!

2007: 6.9/10
                          2020: 8.9/10

Comment

Spies in Disguise
                            I'd certainly not call it great but it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

Ghostbusters
                            Reading all the mythology stuff really amped up my interest in rewatching this and on doing so I enjoyed it even more, great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              I really want to see that. No idea what it’s even about but I’m intrigued.
                              Try and see it in a cinema if you can. I know it's always the better option but I can't recommend it enough for this one. It's going to be swimming around in my head for days.

Comment

Watched In Fabric the other night. It's a surreal horror centered around a possessed dress. Good film with a trippy opening and a 70's aesthetic later moving into a more 80's feel. The double act manager guys are brilliant. If you have a dark sense of humour check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X