This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    Brightburn- probably better than I was expecting. Plays as a straight up horror with the Superman origin story elements largely glossed over. Drops a few hints that don’t come to fruition and is better for it. I really liked the use of camera angles that just showed enough in the background in proper horror style.
    I watched this over the weekend, its such a strange film its like an evil superman orgin story but with no character development whatsoever, the entire cast is super one dimensional, Mum wants kid gets kid, dad mistrusts kid. Kid is evil because hes evil and that's it. Their is no real reason for him suddenly becoming a psychopath hes not shunned he has a loving family they touch on him being made fun of but its only one person that dose this and he has a positive experience straight off the back of this as he gets positive reinforcement from a girl he likes.

I suppose what I'm saying is a lot of it makes zero sense and has no context or signposting you'd think he would go after the kid that made fun of him not the person that was anything but nice to him.

his uncle

I think they could of really played it a lot better if he was a normal kid that fights back against a world that rejected him then discovers he likes being a all powerful untouchable killing machine. that would have least been a better story than hes a normal kid up to the age of 13 now hes a psychopath.

Comment

I thought he was conditioned by his space craft to become nasty and take over the world?

Comment

Knives Out
        Curious about the fact that they're making a sequel. It was a decent film but it doesn't really lend itself to more entries, it was also a little too obvious as well so you're mostly just enjoying the cast rather than the central mystery.

Doctor Sleep

While the latter portion is nice in its throwback of The Shining, for the most part this is a fairly dull film. It's presumably an issue with the book as well but the focus on all the characters with the shining pushes it into being a naff superhero film more than anything with any real tension to it which feels like a misread of the original stories appeal.

Comment

I watched Fellowship of the Ring at the weekend. I hadn't seen it since back in the day because it's way, way too long. On a revisit, I think it's way, way too long. But actually, it holds up pretty well. I enjoyed it. It looks good too. I think I expected it to have aged worse than it has. But it's way, way too long. No film has any business being that long, especially something that is part one of three.

Comment

Kill Bill 1.
            Twenty years ago I would have loved it but I could only watch half an hour or so before stopping and deleting it, it seemed to be taking forever before anything happened.

I've been taping a few films over the last week or so to give me something to do over the China Crisis.

Comment

The Kill Bill films were the last Tarantino movies I ever watched and I don’t feel like I’m missing a thing.

Comment

Two heathenous comments in a row. One more and you can take the match ball home, DT!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  The Kill Bill films were the last Tarantino movies I ever watched and I don’t feel like I’m missing a thing.
                  You haven't missed a thing trust me.

Comment

Ingloriuos was pretty good and I really enjoyed Django too. Kill Bill did put me off QT films though. I didn't even watch Kill Bill part 2 the first part was so bad.

Comment

My problem is I havnt enjoyed a whole film of his in years, like you mention inglorious basterds there are some great scenes like the jew hunting and in the basement pub but apart from that bore levels are high.

Comment

Hateful 8 is good, too... And I thought Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was excellent. But I’d taken a break from him since Kill Bill 2 for a few years, so maybe that helped.

Comment

Detective Pikachu
                          Gave me a new appreciation for Sonic bizarrely. Man, what a load of tripe this was.

Comment

I watched Lord of the Rings The Two Towers yesterday. That's another long film and, for me, it just wasn't as interesting as the previous film. My main issue was a lack of progress through such a long movie. The two abducted hobbits spent most of the movie on a tree. Frodo and Sam barely made any progress at all and felt like secondary characters when they probably should have been driving the plot. Which then left the Aragorn and band story as the main story, first abandoning the mission the movie started with (find the hobbits) and becoming about protecting a bunch of people we just met.

The battle sequence was superb though and really shows up a lot of other movies. Where many modern battle sequences just involve throwing as many things onto the screen at once without us knowing or caring who anyone is, the defense of Helm's Deep was a sequence of building strategies and defending parts play by play, each one with a purpose and each one very clear. And the heroes always managed to counter with the right strategies, they just happened to be outmatched. So it felt like there was much more to it than many movie battles and, for me, was much more engaging as a result.

But overall, I don't think the movie moved much along.

Comment

I was always exactly the same, Two Towers is watchable but always felt the most like filler like a montage would have sewn FOTR and ROTK better

Comment

Man Bites Dog

hadn't seen this in almost 20 years, but raked out the DVD and gave it a viewing last night, i had forgotten 90% of what happened, so was like watching it for the first time, really dark and funny, well acted a gem of a Belgian film.

Comment

Working...
                                X