Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gentlemen - Guy Rtichie is just my bag (though I must admit I haven't watched his King Arthur one yet) & I'm a fan of Matthew McConaughey. So it is no surprise that I loved this. The whole cast was great, loved the story, the lot. Colin Farrell stole the movie for me & boy wasn't Hugh Grant extremely creepy. Awesome stuff and I must admit that pub (almost) made me wish I was back in ol Blighty!

Comment

I watched Dark City last night. First time I'd seen it in a long time and it was just as great as I remember. Class film. So much to love.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        Eurovision Song Contest. The story of Fire Saga

Typical Will Ferrel nonsense and just what I wanted
        I kept watching after "Volcanooooooooooo Maaaaaaaaaaan!"

Comment

I watched 9 1/2 Weeks last night and almost wished I’d had a notebook with me. Was not expecting to have so many random observations or thoughts through a movie. A lot of it was noticing how they just seemed to let a lot of stuff happen in the setup scenes that we wouldn’t get now and it really built an atmosphere of its own. Then specifics like, hey, that’s the dad from The Wonder Years in one shot. Or, oh my god they are letting that sticky food run down their chin and they need to get a cloth right now because this is way too traumatic and I’m about to have an anxiety attack. And also, during some steamy scenes there is part of the soundtrack that sounds like it came straight from Silent Hill and that’s interesting because the director also made Jacob’s Ladder which was always cited as a Silent Hill influence but this movie has a different composer and I have never heard 9 1/2 Weeks cited as an influence. But it’s Silent Hill sounds plain as day.

For a movie that sets itself up as being sexy, it does have a slightly nightmarish tone to it so I can see how this guy made Jacob’s Ladder too. It’s a far more interesting movie than I expected when I put it on.

Comment

Watched a couple, the original 12 ANGRY MEN (still a crowd-pleaser) and EDEN LAKE.

The latter just made me realise why I bother watching depressing movies full of twatty people. Bar some nice British flora, it's just negative, dreary stuff.

The only highlight is when Thomas Turdgoose, the flan-faced boy from THIS IS BRITAIN, turns up and gets stabbed in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I watched Cruel Intentions. I had never seen it. That film is soooooo '90s. And it's a weird one too. There is no attempt to make it feel in any way believable. It's like watching a school play with a budget. Still, entertaining for what it was. I have a suspicion I would have loved it had I seen it as a teenager.
              I defo loved it as a teenager!

Comment

Twelve Angry Men is a masterpiece and my all time favourite film.

Comment

Watched a couple of classics over the past few nights ... Vanishing Point and Manhunt. Vanishing Point surprised me as it's so much more than a chase movie ... and Manhunt was pretty much a spot on straight up version of the book. Still prefer Hopkins' Lecter ... even if he is a bit ott.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Watched a couple of classics over the past few nights ... Vanishing Point and Manhunt. Vanishing Point surprised me as it's so much more than a chase movie ... and Manhunt was pretty much a spot on straight up version of the book. Still prefer Hopkins' Lecter ... even if he is a bit ott.
                    Super Soul in Vanishing Point = the inspiration for Professor K in Jet Set Radio. That's my theory.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Super Soul in Vanishing Point = the inspiration for Professor K in Jet Set Radio. That's my theory.
                      Yeah, he also put me in mind of the DJ in The Warriors, adding an underground commentary to what was going on.

Comment

I would have totally passed on Kill Command from the poster on Amazon Prime Video, but I saw this mosaic of screenshots and it intrigued me enough to watch it and I'm really glad I did.
                        I had no expectations and it came across like a cross between Hardware and Dog Soldiers, which I really enjoyed.
                        Some of the CGI for the budget is seamless and it had a really good atmosphere throughout.

Comment

ARQ, a low-budget indie time-looping SF thriller. I like low-budget indie time-looping SF thrillers, so found it entertaining, despite a ropey first few minutes. It manages to avoid repetition, there are a couple of good twists along the way, and I really liked the ending, which was optimistic without being cliched. A nice surprise.

Comment

Finally got around to watching TURBO KID, I'd taped it off The Horror Channel nearly a year back.

I'd heard it was a low budget homage to 80s Mad Max-style apocalypse movies and - tbh - I've been putting it off because I was just sensing it was gonna be dull, 'ironic' dreck with synthwave music set in a desert with everyone wearing comedy mullets and baseball jackets. Like WOLFCOP.

And, yeh, it DOES have synthwave music. But it's bloody good, throughout. And I started off not wanting to like it but eventually started to kinda love its quirky, authenticesque 80s feel. It really understands how those movies were filmed, many of the shots scream "1986!!!!" like no other film that tries to look 80s. This tries really hard and really nails it 90% of the time.

And the synthwave soundtrack is brilliant. Really bulks the movie up like spiked metal American Football shoulder pads.

Michael Ironside is the big name in this but he's looking a little pasty and saggy. In fact, he was reminding me heavily of Jim Sterling, throughout.

That's not healthy.

Do some jaw exercises, Mike, and take your dogs on longer walks, mate, you're starting to look like the moon, ffs!

Comment

Tom Hank's latest Greyhound. Saw he was lamenting it's release to Apple TV, but honestly it's not fit for cinematic showing.

There is no story beyond some American boats led by the Greyhound being hunted by a few U-boats. There's nothing else, and some unconvincing CGI.

The most dramatic scene was the Greyhound trying to dodge 2 torpedoes instead of 1. Poor.

Comment

Extraction. Great action flick with Chris Hemsworth.

The Old Guard. Not bad. Misses some opportunities I thought.

Vacation. This is a modern national lampoon flick with Christina applegate. I loved it. Worth it just to see the Armenian(might have been Albanian) hire car.

Game night. Jason Bateman flick. Brilliant.

This is where I leave you. Jason Bateman again. Less comedic. Quite touching an some ways. Has Adam Driver as the under achieving brother which he does quite well.

Comment

Working...
                                X