Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't let the bastards grind you down!!!!!!!!

Comment

I watched Mandy last night.
      I think it fits in with some of the other films recently mentioned where it's a bit experimental, rather than mainstream.
      Plot is ridiculously thin and takes a while to get going, but it's more about the journey.
      It's like a visual experience - you could freeze frame at any moment and the screen would be filled with something interesting.
      Sometimes you get to the end of a film and ask "did I enjoy that?" but sometimes it's not just about being entertained.

So, it's a pretty poor "film" but an interesting "experience", IMHO.

Comment

I've been meaning to watch Mandy for so long - I bought it when it was £2 on Amazon Prime about a year ago, so I'm good to go whenever, just between what I was originally told, and all of the thoughts shared here, I'm increasingly convinced I need to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          I'm increasingly convinced I need to be in the right frame of mind for it.
          Yeah, definitely.
          Sometimes it's interesting to just let the visuals wash over you.

Comment

I watched The Changeling (1980) last night. It delivered on the spooky atoms alright but it wasn't an enjoyable watch. I dunno ... it just didn't click with me.

Comment

I finished off Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping.
              It was good fun and made me laugh, but not as much as I thought as I love the Lonely Island stuff.
              Apparently they filmed hours and hours and hours of material and had to really crop it down:

I also watched Trance, which I'd recorded off Film4.
              I'm a big fan of Danny Boyle and James McAvoy, so I was suprised I'd missed it at the cinema.
              It's okay and an interesting story, mixing up what is real and what isn't from the states of hypnosis.
              Some lovely shots from Boyle and great acting, but ultimately it falls a little flat.

It starts off seeming like it's going to be an art heist flick, especially as Vincent Cassell from Ocean's 12 and 13 is in it.
              However, it's then a puzzlebox where you're trying to work out who is conning who.

Perfectly watchable and entertaining, but not top-tier Boyle work.

Comment

The Gorgon,
                Not seen this since I was about thirteen or so, no way this would be made now unless a thirteen year old was the script writer.

Still, it's glorious in its paper thin plot and super hammy acting, Lee and Cushing always give a star turn and as soon as Lee appeared it was great, just as when Mayall appears as Flashheart in Black Adder.

The usual special effects which now seem to have had an eight year old at the helm which may have given me a shudder the first time but now just hilarious.

One thing doesn't change though, the women are still as sexy as ever, Babs Shelley looked fantastic.

Comment

I watched Knives Out last night. A superb cast, one of the strongest ensemble casts I've seen in years and, as a result, it's a very entertaining watch. Must admit that I expected a lot more from the mystery and didn't feel it really delivered in that regard but it's a fun movie with some great performances. A pretty easy entertain watch.

The highlight was my wife saying, "Oh look! It's John Thompson!"

It was Don Johnson. She meant Don Johnson.

Comment

Knives Out is excellent. That Daniel Craig accent is just *chef's kiss*

Popstar is amazing too. I never tire of watching that or listening to the soundtrack.

Comment

Sicario

Pure tension throughout the film. Great stuff.

Eurovision

The Volcano Man song randomly popped into my head last week and I listened to the whole album. Five times in a row. It's sooooooo good. I like these songs more than anything the real Eurovision has come up with. The lyrics for "Chilling with the homies" are sublime. And of course I had to watch the film again, which was even better after I'd almost memorised all the songs. It's silly but has a big heart. Matthew from Downton Abbey steals the show as Lemtov. I could probably watch this on an endless loop. JA JA DING DONG!

The Karate Kid

Cobra Kai ads on Netflix got me wanting to see this again. It's pretty daft, all things considered. Daniel spends a lot of time doing manual labour, then he practices the crane kick on the beach, then suddenly he's in a tournament! The tournament is great, though.

Comment

The Exorcist - After being scared by it in my teens I thought it might be time to revisit this one. Watching it though adult eyes its a very different experience ... and can also be evaluated as a genuinely great film, not just scary. It's gripping, even at its quietest, and still shocks too. Looking forward to watching some of the extras on this ... maybe even the director's commentary if I have a spare couple of hours.

Comment

Seen Species many times, but never any of it's sequels...until now.

Species II, retains most core characters that survived the first, perfectly entertaining with some fun of the era CGI sequences, not too bad at all.

I missed out III, am I a psychopath? I read it was crap.

Species IV: The Awakening. Straight to DVD fair and the cgi shows, but highly entertaining. So 2 scientists get the DNA sequence and having created one girl who is showing alien signs. One of them has gone rogue in Mexico bringing people back from the dead and creating hybrids with the DNA. Some shoddy acting but much better than you'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            I watched Performance back when I did my A levels. Can't say I "enjoyed" it but there's something about it that sticks with you.

A bit like Blow Up.

I watched Saturday Night, Sunday Morning again the other day (again, another A.level throwback) and it's fabulous.
                            Totally concur about PERFORMANCE! Watched it last night, it really is just an LSD trip-typa movie and at least its myriad, brilliant imageries make it one that'll stick in my head, forevaaaah!!!!

But could I recommend it as a 'good' movie??? Nah, you'd have to be on magic mushies n' microdots to enjoy this shish.

Looks lovely, very many lovely shots and luscious use of vivid colour. But it's a trip, not a movie, but it's the best cinematic interpretation of a trip I've ever witnessed.

Noel Fielding is great as Mick Jagger. It's all vivid.

Comment

I seem to remember watching Performance many years ago (probably in the vain hope of late night nudity) but can’t remember any of it. Was there an acid queen in it going bonkers by any chance? Bet there was

Comment

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah, there is!

It's an intense burst of flavour but a very niche one!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X