Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Wolf. Another rabbit hole to fall down.

Network Solutions - Original domain name registration and reservation services with variety of internet-related business offerings. Quick, dependable and reliable.

Comment

Watched Resolution via Prime.
      Low-budget, freaky goings on in a cabin when a man handcuffs his junkie friend to force him to go cold turkey, but sinister forces make them question reality. S'alright.

Halfway through Life (Prime), a star-studded space thriller. 20 minutes in and screaming at these halfwits who apparently never seen Alien, The Thing, Leviathan, Moontrap, The Andromeda Strain, sheesh pretty much any alien film except maybe Mac & Me.

It's actually really tense, but they all deserve whatever grisly fates await them.

Comment

On the 63rd anniversary of Oliver Hardy’s death, I thought I’d watch Helpmates, a short from 1932.

The man was a genius. His timing is second to none, and the way he engages the viewer by looking at the camera, sharing his emotions, is a triumph of technique and awareness. It’s been much-imitated for good reason. The little physical flourishes he attaches to even the simplest of actions is unique. The dignity of the character as he sits in the charred ruins of his house at the end, picking droplets of rain off his absurd uniform, is just an absolute joy.

Stan was right. He really was a very, very funny man.

Comment

I watched The Quiet Earth last night. ‘80s film from NZ about a guy who wakes up to find he’s the only person left on earth. It’s a simple, small film and really excellent. I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I watched The Quiet Earth last night. ‘80s film from NZ about a guy who wakes up to find he’s the only person left on earth. It’s a simple, small film and really excellent. I loved it.
            That's one of my faves.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              That's one of my faves.
              It had been recommended by a couple of people for years and I spotted it in an Arrow sale a while back so I took a punt on the blu ray. Glad it did. That ending is wonderful.

Comment

Oh yeah! Didn't I steer you towards it in that sale?

Comment

I think you did!

Comment

Eurovision

Wonderful. Very funny and full of heart(just like me). Fired up YouTube afterwards and watched a compilation of all the winning songs.

VOLCANO MAAAAAAN.

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                    The little physical flourishes he attaches to even the simplest of actions is unique.
                    I love his piano fingers

Comment

The way he runs his fingers over the steering wheel at the beginning of Busy Bodies. Or the way he opens the garden gate and gestures Stan through it in One Good Turn.

His gentle, matter of fact manner in Going Bye Bye down the phone:
                      ‘Excuse me, please, my ear is full of milk.’

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Sounds a bit like Night of the Comet. Which I never saw the ending to.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                          Sounds a bit like Night of the Comet. Which I never saw the ending to.
                          While I really love the colours in Night of the Comet and it has its moments, The Quiet Earth is on a whole other level as a film in my view. But yes, in terms of concept there are similarities. One key thing in The Quiet Earth which I really like is that everyone is just gone. There are no monsters or zombies or anything else.

Comment

That mental meltdown as he shifts from enjoying being the last man on Earth to realising the loneliness, is really moving.

Comment

Darkest Hour

It was ok. An interesting bit of historical drama, with largely good performances. Oldman was unrecognisable, and Stannis Baratheon nicely slimy. Lily James was 40s wadtacular.

I didn’t realised WC was meant to have so much lolbantz. It’s a curious film. Not harrowing enough to be genuinely moving, not exciting enough to be entertaining, yet not dull enough for me to lose interest. At the end, I found myself having enjoyed it, but not bothered if I never saw it again, and of the opinion that it wouldn’t have mattered if I’d never seen it in the first place.

Comment

Joker.

I saw this as a cheap cash in when it was first announced and at the time was utterly sick of DC’s nonsense and lack of consistency it its universe.

I was very wrong.

What a fantastic film and an amazing performance by Joaquin Phoenix, not to mention the absolutely stunning photography throughout. Wish id seen it in the cinema to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X