Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The music in Gattaca is lovely. I’ve used it in English lessons to develop imagery in creative writing.

As a film, I found the issues more compelling than the execution, although there are a few very fine scenes.

Comment

It *might* actually be WITHOUT A PADDLE. I will see what mood I'm in in an hour.

I will report back later!

Comment

Gattaca is a dream

And Black Narcissus.

Hot movies.

Comment

Ended up watching neither. Scrolled down to the bottom of the recorded stuff in my Sky box and saw DANGER: DIABOLIK right at the bottom. It's been on there aaaaages and I watched it on impulse because I didn't want it auto-deleting.

Glad I did. It's mad. It's vivid. It's brill. So well-done. DANGER: DIABOLIK is a great film!!!

Needed something good to wipe away the crappy flavour of THE DEVIL RIDES OUT and this did the job immaculately!

Comment

Had the Wii game ages, too. Might be time to finally give it a proper go. It seemed quite interesting when I last gave it a blast about half a decade back, or so.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Glad I did. It's mad. It's vivid. It's brill. So well-done. DANGER: DIABOLIK is a great film!!!
              Funnily enough, I set the TiVo to record this.
              It's on Film4 tomorrow (Friday) at 1:20 am.

I've always meant to watch it after seeing the video for the excellent Fatboy Slim remix of the Beastie Boys' Body Movin'.

Comment

Watched Bumblebee today for the first time

Downloaded it in 3D from Sky
                Loved the film, was great fun & so much better than all the junk Michael Bay put out

The 3D was well done & added a nice depth to the proceedings...which really begs the question as to why it was never offered in a 3D version when it was released on Blu-Ray
                The humans were good in it for a change...just the right amount of time & stuff, never too much

Hopefully the next couple of movies follow this trend as well

Good fun & I know I'm late to the party but if you haven't seen it, well worth a viewing

Neil

Comment

We quite liked Bumblebee, if that's the starting quality point of a series of films then it should be good!

Just finished watching Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom however. What a steaming pile of Coprolite!!!
                  One of the most annoyingly bad films I have ever seen. God why did they make it?! The 5 minutes on the island was at least watchable I guess and the main female character was less punchable but I cringed throughout.

Why do the Dinosaurs sound like dogs now?!?

Comment

As it happens, I watched Bumblebee last night. I totally loved it. A really sincere film with heart and a lot of nice people in it. Like, everyone except the two Decepticons were actually pretty nice people and I liked that. The movie was made by Hailee Steinfield and she was superb in it and carried the entire thing. The only weaknesses for me were the Decepticons themselves, and they only seemed to be there to tick a necessary plot line box, and some of the design/effects - basically anything not on Earth looked like an animated movie, not in any way real (although it was nice actually being able to recognise favourites), and the two Decepticons still had a bit of a Bayformers stench about them.

I loved it. A really warm movie and the type of film we just don’t get much of. As for new films, given this movie was all Steinfield, my suspicion is that a sequel would devolve into the typical Bay rubbish again. I’m happy with this one standalone film.

I’ve actually been watching loads of films but probably can’t remember which now... I watched Shazam. Very enjoyable. The main guy was great and I don’t think I’ve seen him in anything before. All of the lighter parts were good but a lot of the other stuff was movie by numbers and didn’t really take advantage of the raw materials they set up in the movie. Had it been quirkier, a touch of Edgar Wright or someone, it could have been a cult classic but I think a lot of it was just too vanilla for that. But I liked it.

I can’t remember what else I have watched (mostly bad yet entertaining comedies, which do the job just fine for me right now because I can’t watch anything stressful) but I’ll update if I remember.

Comment

I watched Risky Business for the first time. An absolute classic coming of age film. I also watched the cult classic. The Last American Virgin. Arrow video type fare. I really enjoyed that too.

Does anyone have any adolescent teen comedy recommendations?

Comment

Ferris Bueller's Day Off but if you haven't watched that before I'd be very surprised.

You also have the total piss take on genre: Not Another Teen Movie which unlike some parody films of this type is actually funny.

I'd also add Clueless. Alicia Silverstone is a delight as an over-confident, over-privileged, high school airhead with a heart of gold who thinks she knows best but comes to realise she doesn't. With a plot based on Jane Austen's Emma the whole thing is solid as rock from the ground up.

On that same sort of updated literary theme 10 Things I Hate About You which draws inspiration from Shakespeare's The Taming Of The Shrew is another decent teen genre film although heavier on the romance than the comedy.

Comment

Adventures in Babysitting!!

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                            Ferris Bueller's Day Off but if you haven't watched that before I'd be very surprised.

You also have the total piss take on genre: Not Another Teen Movie which unlike some parody films of this type is actually funny.

I'd also add Clueless. Alicia Silverstone is a delight as an over-confident, over-privileged, high school airhead with a heart of gold who thinks she knows best but comes to realise she doesn't. With a plot based on Jane Austen's Emma the whole thing is solid as rock from the ground up.

On that same sort of updated literary theme 10 Things I Hate About You which draws inspiration from Shakespeare's The Taming Of The Shrew is another decent teen genre film although heavier on the romance than the comedy.
                            I've seen all of these apart from Not Another.. good choices thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              Adventures in Babysitting!!

That's actually on Disney Plus! Is it in the same veign? Less saucy, I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                                That's actually on Disney Plus! Is it in the same veign? Less saucy, I guess!
                                Get it watched or arl ger yer!

Comment

Working...
                                X