• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Predator
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Ready Player One.
    I particularly enjoyed these in 3D at home.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I saw Yesterday. Today. It was exactly what you’d expect. Very light, not much too it but it’s sweet and an easy watch.
    Yeah, it's good fun, isn't it?
    Need to play Rock Star Beatles.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    Because Chernobyl fall out.
    Time checks out.

I've watched lots of Toy Story 2, 3 Big Hero 6 and other kid favourites I put on a USB stick.

Comment

We watched a family movie last night, which is never easy to please everyone, but The Upside on Amazon Prime turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. It's nothing amazing or anything but it's well made, it's pretty sweet, pretty funny too ... and it fit the bill just nicely*

*after last week when I suggested we all watch Predator (with me muting the rude jokes) as the boys needed to see a men on a mish film

Comment

Watched War Dogs on Netflix, mainly on the basis that its run time wasn't offensive. It's funny but that is basically the main requirement for movies these days - if it starts getting close to the 2 and a half hours mark or more, forget it. Anyway, War Dogs was pretty good. Based on a true story about two guys who end up running guns and winning US military contracts for stupid amounts of money. Stars Jonah Hill and Miles Teller. Will remind you of why people get into war as a business and why we won't have peace any time soon.

Comment

War Dogs is a fun movie. It's a candy floss film, lightweight but tasty at the time

I watched Suspiria last night, the original. I'd never seen it before, but it's one of my girlfriend's favourite films. It's a cool film, basically one of the better giallos. Boy does Dario like to chuck the old coloured lights around.

Here is my bullet point, Gamefaqs review:

- Photography 10/10. So many beautiful shots.
          - Atmosphere 9/10. Synths and close-ups of people grimacing. Top notch.
          - Story 7/10. Hoary stuff, but I love hoary horror stuff! And it works well here.
          - Blood 1/10. One of those films where their prop blood is the wrong colour. Why? WHY?!

Recommended. I watched it on the Shameless disc. Good picture and sound.

Comment

Day of the Dead (1985)
            I picked up the Arrow double-DVD version of this last week as I had an urge to rewatch it.
            I was trying to get a Blu-Ray version, but this'll do nicely and there's loads of different versions now:
            1) Anchor Bay 1998 DVD
            2) Anchor Bay 2003 DVD
            3) Anchor Bay 2007 blu-ray
            4) Arrow 2012 DVD
            5) Arrow 2012 blu-ray
            5) Scream Factory 2013 blu-ray

I still might end up getting a BR disc at some point, to listen to the Romero/Savini/Cardille commentary, but the SFX commentary was pretty interesting, even if the final section descended into a "spot the friend" competition!
            I don't think there's a UK BR with that commentary though? It's Scream/Shout Factory that has it.

I'll try and watch the new documentary on it to get a further insight into the making of the film.

It's such a good film though, with an amazing sense of tension, humour, action and gore.

Comment

I have the Arrow blu ray of this and it's easily one of my favourite films. It's a comfort watch which I know might sound weird but it gets that status for one reason - the John Harrison score. It's possibly my favourite movie score ever (and I have the CD signed by Romero and Harrison). It was great to hear a cue from it in the latest series of Stranger Things.

The film itself is superb. Joe Pilato is amazing in particular (you've given me a mouthful of greek salad!) but I also love McDermott and John and the fact that they make a little hideaway and just try to lead a relaxing life among it all. Yeah, it's a favourite of mine.

Comment

Yeah, in the "your most-watched film" thread, I remember you saying it was your "comfort" film, then a few others concurred.

Funnily enough, I didn't like Day on first viewing.
                I was a big Dawn fan and felt a little underwhelmed at the minimal action and probably a little repulsed by the gore, which was possibly the longest sequence of horrific movie deaths I'd seen.

I came back to it when discussing it with a friend at uni, who said after I didn't like how uneasy it made me feel, "then the director's done his job, then."

I watched it again and it clicked.

That score is monumental. It's quite cheap and synthy, but the plodding beat is really unsettling.
                The opening section is easily my fave part with the shift in tones, but relentless thump, thump-thump of the electro bass drum.

I love how life for the survivors is on a knife-edge, with each event adding to the strain like Buckaroo until things explode and the characters' trajectories suddenly go in wildly different directions.

That final section in the caves is so tense and I really thought somebody was going to get got.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Yeah, in the "your most-watched film" thread, I remember you saying it was your "comfort" film, then a few others concurred.

Funnily enough, I didn't like Day on first viewing.
                  I was a big Dawn fan and felt a little underwhelmed at the minimal action and probably a little repulsed by the gore, which was possibly the longest sequence of horrific movie deaths I'd seen.

I came back to it when discussing it with a friend at uni, who said after I didn't like how uneasy it made me feel, "then the director's done his job, then."

I watched it again and it clicked.

That score is monumental. It's quite cheap and synthy, but the plodding beat is really unsettling.
                  The opening section is easily my fave part with the shift in tones, but relentless thump, thump-thump of the electro bass drum.

I love how life for the survivors is on a knife-edge, with each event adding to the strain like Buckaroo until things explode and the characters' trajectories suddenly go in wildly different directions.

That final section in the caves is so tense and I really thought somebody was going to get got.
                  Only one person gonna get got round these parts!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                    Only one person gonna get got round these parts!
                    JunkyMuggleDX?

Comment

JunkyMuggleDX?
                      I was thinking more chimpychower, but there is always time to get fammydodd.

Comment

You have a good memory! That goes back a bit.

Yeah, the opening section with the score is incredible. It was no big surprise when Gorillaz lifted it untouched for their first album - someone needed to! It's quite a unique score. On the gore, I can absolutely understand why you were repulsed. It's pretty disgusting and the movie revels in it in places. I'd like to think that there is a meaning behind it, like how the characters have become desensitised but, really, I think Savini just gets off on his gore and really went to town on that movie. It has always struck me as weird when I see him interviewed and he talks about horrors he saw as a photographer in the Vietnam War and yet it inspires him and actually seems to excite him. I can't relate to that on any level whatsoever.

Comment

I know TA is a big Savini fan too and also chose DotD as his most-watched, but I know where you're coming from.

I'm guess I'm tougher now, but when you first see a man's head having fingers poked into his eye sockets, then torn off his body and his vocal chords stretch with his screams getting higher pitched, that really should make you think that's a bit much.
                          Even if you think it's cool.
                          I think it's that inventiveness that draws people to his work, but yes, it does come from a dark place.

I didn't realise Joseph "Rhodes" Pilato was "Dean Martin" in the Jackrabbit Slim's scene in Pulp Fiction!

Comment

I did not know that!

Comment

Don't Look Now. I only got round to watching this for the very first time tonight. Safe to say I've never seen anything quite like it. It's hard to sum up my feelings because it stirred so many: feeling blown away, shocked, puzzled, creeped out, in awe and in need of some time to process the last two hours.

Comment

Started watching Doomsday on netflix. Rhona Mitra as a one-eyed badass. It's basically the plot of Aliens but with human nutters instead of aliens. So far so rubbish. I'll soldier on tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X