This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Wick 3

Is there such a thing as too much action, and way too long fight scenes? well i got board watching the same thing over and over again. i swear i fell asleep for 10 mins and when i woke he was still fighting the same guy. This was all it was 70% of the 2 hours or so just him beating the c&ap out of men the same way over and over, and shooting more guys with guns that hold an insane amount of bullets.

I liked the first 2, but this is past its best now. don't know what they can do with 4 but more of the same.

Comment

High Noon - It's my day off today and one of our boys is off school with a bug, so we just hunkered down for some wholesome rootin' tootin' cowboy action. Just the tonic This is a real beautiful film, both in looks and in tone. It's a simple story perfectly told. Gary Cooper is awesome. The town is alive and super pretty. If I could live in a film world it would be this one.

Comment

Nice to see someone watching some proper films for a change

Comment

Aladdin live action.

What a pile of utter s**t.

That is all.

Comment

Feeling a bit stressed out so watching Lost In Translation.

It it perfection.

Comment

Watched IDIOCRACY on Friday night, it's from Mike Judge, who did Beavis and Butthead. Quite liked it, some very clever moments and concepts and it looks a bit Total Recall-y at points. It's not as brill as peeps yammer on about but it deffo made me titter quite a lot and there are loads of mini-gags going on in the background. 7.2/10

Then onto THIS SPORTING LIFE. Hmmmmmm. It's basically two hours, fifteen minutes of black and white misery, set in Wakefield in the early 60s. Very bleak. Melodramatically so, tbh.

My mum weaned me on these 60s kitchen sink dramas, I've probably watched the lot but this was never my fave.

Don't know what it is. Maybe it's...cos all the characters are either miserable or wankers...or miserable wankers. It's ALL bleak. TOO bleak, TOO much...so much so that the ending almost felt like a satire on the previous couple of hours.

But it's still good. Strong. Intense. Atmospheric. Powerful acting. Just...I don't really like the characters...and they often seem to have strange motivations or behave in very odd ways.

Arthur Lowe pops up. I realise who Martin Freeman reminds me of, now. Arthur Lowe. In this movie.

It's too relentlessly bleak to be a fave. Too much arguing and volatility. And characters that you kinda don't wanna be around.

There is one achingly beautiful shot. He slaps the bird, sods off to a hostel in the middle of a semi-demolished patch of terraced streets and he leaves his posh white car outside in the middle of all this dereliction and you just get this amazing shot of him peering out the window at this white car getting set upon by scraggy kids. Artistry!

10/10 for that shot, 7.5/10 for the film itself...5/10 if you're already feeling a bit blue

Comment

Gave up on The Hitman's Bodyguard on C4 yesterday.

It was just completely off in every way - uncertain whether it wanted to be a comedy or all out action and settled on something inbetween which was deeply unamusing and unengaging in equal measure. Avoid.

Only reason I wanted to see it was because, as it turned out, a VERY small part of it was filmed half a mile from where I live and you just wouldn't believe the size of the operation that involved over a long weekend just to film what was probably less than a minute of screen time.

Comment

I watched the Sean Penn flick The Gunman not a bad film, somewhat predictable, action was pretty good and wow Spicoli got ripped!

Comment

Watched the Coen Bros remake of TRUE GRIT about five hours back.

I enjoyed the verbose, warm, actionless first hour or so but I went totally cold and beige on it once the action entered in the latter section.

I preferred the talk. Though not Jeff Bridges. I could barely hear what he was saying and what I could hear was a dull dirge, I wanted to turn the radio off on the options menu.

Everyone else was great, tho. The girl, all the incidental actors. Even Jeff...amazing screen presence and LOOKED like a badass killer cowboy marshal. But looks are not enough.

Cold beige. 6.67/10

Comment

I went to the cinema to see Rambo: Last Blood and it's poor on so many levels.
                      Short, nonsensical, full of stereotypes and ridiculous.

It passed 90 minutes, but I was falling asleep by the end.

It's soooo far away from the message of the original film.

I could go on, but I'll leave it there.

Initial D Legend 1: Awakening is streaming on Amazon Prime Video, so I watched that and quite enjoyed it.
                      I thought the original manga is very slow, but this compounds a fair few of the first books.
                      I wanted to see if it was suitable for my son to watch and although there's not much language, the fan-service is a little embarrassing.

Part 2 is also streaming and you can hire part 3 for 99p.

Comment

That makes me sad, I enjoyed Rambo 4 so much

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          Watched the Coen Bros remake of TRUE GRIT about five hours back.

I enjoyed the verbose, warm, actionless first hour or so but I went totally cold and beige on it once the action entered in the latter section.

I preferred the talk. Though not Jeff Bridges. I could barely hear what he was saying and what I could hear was a dull dirge, I wanted to turn the radio off on the options menu.

Everyone else was great, tho. The girl, all the incidental actors. Even Jeff...amazing screen presence and LOOKED like a badass killer cowboy marshal. But looks are not enough.

Cold beige. 6.67/10
                          Yes, Jeff Bridges dialogue delivery in the True Grit remake is highly questionable. He talks as though he always has a half chewed mouthful of beans.

But I enjoyed the film a great deal particularly the girl (Hailee Steinfeld) whose performance I actually preferred to Kim Darby's in the John Wayne version. Likewise Matt Damon's Texas Ranger - in the original film Glen Campbell was out of his depth even though he certainly was not awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            That makes me sad, I enjoyed Rambo 4 so much
                            Basically, it's Home Alone with Friday the 13th deaths.

Comment

Which makes sense given all the Home Stallone jokes I've seen online

We're cinema bound on Friday and planned to watch this with Joker. Might see how times fall now and if it means going out of our way watch Ready or Not instead.

Comment

It's just, pffft, I dunno, maybe you should see it so you understand.
                                @JazzFunk gave a heartened soliloquy about Stallone looks like a melted candle and it's all I could think about in the endless close-up shots of his face:

Also, the effect of people driving in a car is the most unconvincing since The Naked Gun.

That's probably the least of it's crimes, though. It's just a stupid film that is a set-up to kill a bunch of people.

Comment

Working...
                                X