User Tag List

Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    1999 was a great year for film.
    The Blair Witch Project, Toy Story 2, American Pie, Fight Club, The 6th Sense, Being John Malkovich, American Pie, 3 Kings, Eyes Wide Shut, Iron Giant, Galaxy Quest, South Park, The Spy Who Shagged Me, The Green Mile, Magnolia, Notting Hill, Sleepy Hollow, Ten Things I Hate About You, Dogma, Galaxy Quest and so on.

The big one for many people was Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.

After years of growing up and loving the original trilogy, they were finally making some more stories and ones that explored the origins of Darth Vader.

However, I was never really into Star Wars growing up, it was Transformers, He-Man. M.A.S.K. and Action Force.
    As a teen I discovered Sci-Fi and Jackie Chan, so my love of those films grew.

At the cusp of the Millennium, the internet was in its infancy and the idea of going online was still a novelty for many.
    The Blair Witch project had very little publicity, but its notoriety spread via "word of mouse" as people spoke online about it.

One film encouraged online sleuthing and asked the question - "What is The Matrix?"

I went last night to the cinema to see the 4K 20th anniversary release, and it's quite funny to think about where you were around that time.

The film itself still holds up and I found myself enjoying some of the iconic shots and appreciating new ones even more on the big screen. Shots like Smith looking towards the oncoming subway, the camera zooms in and his eyes shift to Neo as he decides to throw him onto the rails.
    https://filmschoolrejects.com/the-matrix-shots/

It's interesting to think I would have said that The Matrix is "action-packed", but after the initial Trinity escape, there is very little action for about another hour as Mr. Anderson learns about the real world, his place in it and starts becoming Neo.

The Dojo Fight is always great and Laurence Fishburne has never looked better, but from the moment Neo sees the deja vu black cat, it's a proper thrill ride. That whole final section is amazing - Lots of guns, Lobby Scene, Rooftop, minigun, midair catch, Trinity on a rope, subway fight, chase, death, resurrection and one-handed fighting.

It's amazing to think the film got made at all, let alone be so good:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...ersary/586084/

It was great to see it at the cinema again, even though I've seen it loads of times on VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray.

And to think, people used to think Neo would be peak Keanu-Cool

It took me about four attempts, but I re-watched the Cowboy Bebop movie.
    Teddymeowmix says the series is better, but I'm not massively motivated to see it after this.

The story was pretty uninteresting, really.

I am enjoying these older hand-drawn anime shows though.

The fighting scenes are easily the best I've seen in an anime. Really dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Teddymeowmix says the series is better, but I'm not massively motivated to see it after this.

@teddymeow meow is correct - one of the best anime shows ever made. Better than neon sega genesis eeeee @vanpeebles gelion.

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post

If you've not watched the series and become invested in the characters then the movie isn't the event that it is otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    @teddymeow meow is correct - one of the best anime shows ever made. Better than neon sega genesis eeeee @vanpeebles gelion.
    Swoop down on zaki!

Being There

A subtle, unusual and multi-layered movie starring Peter Sellers as a simpleton gardener who through a bizarre string or circumstances becomes one of the most powerful men in politics and even a presidential candidate. The movie is in some ways a comedy and a drama but, at it's heart, is a satire which lifts a mirror to the absurd political, cultural and media institutions that dominate our lives. Very thought provoking and very brilliant.

Predator - Watched the 4k blu tonight. Looked pretty amazing on the whole but really shows up those strange alternative film stock bits. And I hate to say it but the film has lost a little of its shine for me. Some amazing moments, for sure, but it felt like it could have been a bit tighter.

Deadpool 2

Finally watched this. Soooo gooood.

Can’t wait to see what Once upon a Deadpool is like!

I saw Yesterday. Today. It was exactly what you’d expect. Very light, not much too it but it’s sweet and an easy watch.