Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Bad Neighbours last night. It was pretty funny.

Comment

Watched Hellraiser III last night and for all it's 90s daftness I actually enjoyed it. Ideal for a late Friday night viewing. Good fun.

Comment

Just back from watching 1917.

Going to need some time to process my thoughts and I'm feeling a bit raw at the moment.

Comment

Yeah, I felt that after watching Spice World.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Yeah, I felt that after watching Spice World.
            Rubbed raw?!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              Rubbed raw?!
              I don’t have to explain myself to you, QC! It was a private matter between me and Sporty Spice and Roger Moore!

Comment

Phantom Of The Paradise - bat**** craziness from Brian De Palma about a club, it's owner (played by song writer Paul Williams), a composer who's putting a rock spin on Faust, and a ton more madness. It's about a rock show and it's almost a musical in itself (bit like Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls ... cartoonish like it too). Really fun watch.

Comment

They Look Like People. Low budget high quality indie movie about paranoia. Small cast, few locations, but some great dialogue and a structure that builds tension really well. Currently on Prime Video.

Comment

Golden Voyage of Sinbad on Paramount.

Caroline Munro is just TOO hot.

Comment

The Addams Family
                      The recent animated version. There are moments that work, moments that don't. It leans to them being all monsters which I don't like and it lacks the life about it that stuff like Hotel Transylvania has but it could have been worse.

Dirty Harry

Another one I've seen moments of but never seen in full and it was so much better than I went in expecting it to be. Eastwood is a walking one liner machine and I loved the moment the bus turns the freeway bend and the bad guy freaks out seeing Harry stood like a bad ass on the bridge overpass waiting for him.

Straw Dogs
                      Over long and the characterisations are so odd. Hoffman's David kind of makes sense, a lot of his character is made out as a coward but he's also quite bad with GF Amy which doesn't sit too well but the context is kind of there for what he becomes at the end. I read on Wiki about the controversy over the rape scene and it seems bizarre there's any debate, Amy blatantly gives in to her first attacker and actively chooses him at every turn over David in the climax of the film. I didn't find it ambiguous at all and felt when David drives away at and says he doesn't know the way home either that he means both as a person and that he won't be going back to either the house or her.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        The Addams Family
                        The recent animated version. There are moments that work, moments that don't. It leans to them being all monsters which I don't like and it lacks the life about it that stuff like Hotel Transylvania has but it could have been worse.
                        I thought the Hotel Transylvania series had a lot of heart and good fun for the kids.

Dirty Harry

Another one I've seen moments of but never seen in full and it was so much better than I went in expecting it to be. Eastwood is a walking one liner machine and I loved the moment the bus turns the freeway bend and the bad guy freaks out seeing Harry stood like a bad ass on the bridge overpass waiting for him.
                        How ace is that soundtrack? The opening section as you follow Callahan across the rooftops until he finds the bullet casing and "Scorpio's Theme" as he's scoping out his next victim and the mad snare and high hat skills of the drummer. H'amaze.

Straw Dogs
                        I read on Wiki about the controversy over the rape scene and it seems bizarre there's any debate, Amy blatantly gives in to her first attacker and actively chooses him at every turn over David in the climax of the film. I didn't find it ambiguous at all and felt when David drives away at and says he doesn't know the way home either that he means both as a person and that he won't be going back to either the house or her.
                        The issue with the rape scene is that she struggles for a bit, then gives and and finally it can be interpreted that she enjoys it.
                        That's the crux of it and it plays into the psychology of rapists that "they all want it really, even if they say no".
                        It's not the fact that she's raped that it was banned, it's the way the film portrays her enjoyment of it.

Comment

It's one I'm a bit mixed on. She definitely gives in to him and plainly enjoys it in the latter part but I felt like it somewhat fends off the criticism to an extent because she isn't the same when it comes to the second rape or attempted third one - she's only like that with one character who she has a pre-existing history with. Not that it's right or doesn't glorify it, just that the film contains some context to it. I read that the remake removes that aspect but it's part of what makes the film so stark as you can't quite believe how she turns against David so much at the end. He's not great with her but she goes all in on the worse option.

Comment

Schindler's List - first viewing in 25 years and it's lost none of its power. In fact, with a more knowledgeable head on my shoulders it got me even more than the first time. The depth in which it hits your emotions is unbelievable ... the kind you feel go through your full body (moments like the train leaving, only for the suitcases intended to follow being taken to a sorting area). So incredibly well crafted. No idea how it was made to look and feel so authentic. True film making genius. And I still can't understand how something this horrible happened so recently.

Evil Dead 2 - Bit of light relief then. Not seen in ages but still a gem. Thoroughly entertaining from start to finish

Comment

Richard Jewell

enjoyed it and felt really sorry for this guy, proper hung out to dry, Sam Rockwell is good as always

Comment

The French Connection
                                This was like the anti-Dirty Harry. I expected something with more intrigue or likeability but too much of the film is Lex Luthor and Chief Brody sitting aorund in their car spying on dealers and making the audience feel awkward by shaking down ethnic minorities. The infamous car chase is about the only thing notable about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X