Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't know, this is the new film by Sam Mendes (Skyfall) about two soldiers tasked with entering enemy territory to pass a message to delay an advance on enemy positions as it's a trap and they would all die. The twist is, it's made to look like it's one continuous shot and the film advances in real time.

Took me a while to stop looking for edits and just enjoy it, but when I did, it was fantastic.
    It's pretty light on story and uses a bit of dialogue and visual clues to help you flesh things out, but it's a streamlined adventure and it's not trying to be something else.

I came out a bit spent by the end as it was quite relentless, with memories of the thrill of Mad Max, Private Ryan and even Hardcore Henry.

Recommended and try to see it on a big screen.

Comment

Off to see 1917 next week ... looking forward to it.

Last night I watched Misery and Scream ...Misery (on Netflix) is up there with the best King adaptations. James Caan is brilliant ... as is the perfectly chosen setting/scenery/house ... great interpretation of the book. Paul's relationship with Annie is so entertaining to watch. All the pretending, then the veils come down, then back up again. Brilliant.

Scream is one of those films I think I've seen bits of before but never the whole thing. Enjoyed it. Nice take on the slasher genre. The opening sequence was amazingly well done.

Comment

I was thinking about the trick question at the start and if Jason does kill anyone in Friday 13th, mainly the boat section at the end, but it's suggested that it was a dream/hallucination rather than real and he doesn't kill anyone, so I guess their answer stands...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I was thinking about the trick question at the start and if Jason does kill anyone in Friday 13th, mainly the boat section at the end, but it's suggested that it was a dream/hallucination rather than real and he doesn't kill anyone, so I guess their answer stands...
          I have never seen Friday the 13th ... I just assumed the triv was true

Comment

Ah, it's a trick question because (spoilers if you plan to watch it. I think they're all on Prime at the moment)

Jason Voorhees is the main character in the Friday 13th Series (excluding Friday 13th: A New Beginning) , so she thinks he's the answer, but in the original it alludes to it being him, but it's not.

There's a sequence at the end where the Final Girl is attacked by Jason, but abruptly awakes in a hospital, and the police say they didn't see the boy, so we are lead to believe it was a dream/hallucination.

It's a trashy film, but quite interesting for a cineaste like yourself to enjoy, looking at the tropes it stole and established.

Comment

Despite being a big fan of the book I missed both IT films in the cinema. Well I just finished Chapter Two and it was fantastic. When I heard the two films would be kids first, adults second I always thought the nostalgic kids one would be the more enjoyable, but it wasn't. I really enjoyed the first but Chapter Two feels more in tune with the book and was just a really entertaining watch. All 3 hours of it. Loved it. If only I had the time and stamina to double bill them one time.

Comment

Once Upon a Time................. in Hollywood

Wonderful. The time flew by. When it all went down

and the trademark Tarantino violence kicked in, I rolled my eyes thinking “oh gawd, what is this??”
                But then I realised he was showing me an alternate reality, like he was visualising my hatred of those Manson loonies. It was... cathartic.

The final shot of Dalton hugging Tate was emotional. I wanted that to be the reality. I wanted for them all to have lived.

I’m not surprised the Tate family were concerned when Tarantino wanted to do the film, but he treated the story with the utmost respect in a weird way.

There were too many feet shots, though. I know he likes them, as do I, but most weren’t particularly nice feet. Pussycat’s yellow soles on the car window almost put me off my dinner!

The Bruce Lee bit was great, and I like how he’s played with because it’s just Cliff reminiscing.

DiCaprio was on fire. Lit, son.

Comment

1917 yes it's fantastic.

What did get my mind going was the trailer for Dark Waters, is Mark Ruffalo making some sort of DuPont universe franchise now in his 2nd film about the family 0_o.

Comment

I watched Nightcrawler last night. It was really good and it looked gorgeous too. Watched it on a whim with no idea what it was about other than I had heard it was pretty decent and, yep, it’s a good film.

Comment

Watched Child's Play (1988) for the very first time. Fun bit of retro popcorn horror. Some of the puppet work was great too.

Comment

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
                        Last film on the '71 line up and I enjoyed it but the missus had short patience for it. Takes a while to get going but Wilder just absolutely owns the role and it's never not staggering how superior this version is to the later Burton version.

Comment

I tried watching the Burton one recently and it's just bobbins.
                          I got as far as the bit where kid Wonka has hideous teeth braces from his dentist dad (Christopher Lee) and it's all necessarily dark and Gothic. Just reign it in a bit, Burton. Sheesh.

I remember the end being weird as Wonka is begging Charlie to come back.
                          I did like how he keeps cussing the kids for mumbling.

Love the '71 version though. The songs, cast and events are brilliant.
                          I'll never forgive Grandpa for being bedridden for years, then when he gets a chance to hit the Wonka factory, that faking mother****er is not only up, he's dancing. DANCING.

Comment

The Magnet, a young kid cons another one out of giving away his prize magnet (proper acme road runner style one), and then instantly feels guilty about it, he then sees the nanny on a train one day talking about her budgie dying, and thinks he caused the kid to die. Great gentle film with some great laughs.

A Run for your Money, two Welsh miners win a newspaper coal digging competition and get an all expenses trip to London to watch the rugby, instead they end up separated and caught up in a load of scrapes. Alex Guiness is a snooty gardening column reporter who is forced by the paper to look after them.

Comment

Target Earth - a group of stragglers come to terms with the fact that the whole city has been evacuated due to an incoming Robot Invasion from outer space. Tense well acted drama with a bit of sci fi.

Comment

^ Classic, really, really bad US 50's sci-fi - great fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X