This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghostbusters II
    Yep, still weaker than the first with too much retread considering how long it took them to make as well but also a lot to like as well.

Comment

Brightburn- probably better than I was expecting. Plays as a straight up horror with the Superman origin story elements largely glossed over. Drops a few hints that don’t come to fruition and is better for it. I really liked the use of camera angles that just showed enough in the background in proper horror style.

Comment

Watched the Stephen King scripted version of The Shining (4.5 hours, originally a TV miniseries). Ugh. Just... no. I rewatched the Kubrick version recently and felt it was slower than I remembered, but still thought-provoking; but the King version is flabby, self-indulgent and boring. I admire the guy in general - I loved his books in my twenties, and follow him on twitter - but his screenwriting skills are shabby.

Comment

1917. Despite a slow start and the distraction of the continuous shot that isn't, this was a thoroughly excellent film. It just got better and better as time went on. Visually, there are a few amazing sequences, but one stood out for me above all the others. I won't spoil it (it's not the sequence from the trailer though, which was itself a spoiler). Anyway, it's well worth seeing if you haven't already.

Comment

I just rewatched Invasion of the Bodysnatchers. That is such a great film in just about every way. I love it. It feels like a slow burn (maybe due to the dialogue style) and yet it pushes forward at a really brisk pace and really builds to a tense place very quickly and manages to hold that to the end.

Comment

I watched Moonrise Kingdom this morning. Absolutely magical. Loved it.

Comment

Been after seeing A FIELD IN ENGLAND for yonks, if anyone sees it pop up on the telly schedules can you do us a favour and give me a # on here and alert me? Sky Control borked so can't check listings lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I just rewatched Invasion of the Bodysnatchers. That is such a great film in just about every way. I love it. It feels like a slow burn (maybe due to the dialogue style) and yet it pushes forward at a really brisk pace and really builds to a tense place very quickly and manages to hold that to the end.
                  1970s Sutherland one? Amazing film.

I watched The Friends of Eddie Coyle last night. Brilliant low key gangster film from the 70s, starring Robert Mitchum as a down on his luck middle aged hood. If you like dialogue focused, realistic 1970s films like The Conversation, you’ll especially like this. There’s a heist scene in it which is just spellbinding, too.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    1970s Sutherland one? Amazing film.
                    Yeah, it’s so good. It was in the recent Arrow blu day sale so I picked it up. It’s definitely one of my favourite films.

Comment

IotBS is amazing.

Comment

Yeah, it’s quite special. The performances are all superb.

Comment

Just watched THE COTTON CLUB, Francis Ford Coppola's famed 1984 megaflop, a very expensive, opulently-handled 1920s gangster-slash-tapdancing movie with a star-studded cast, John Barry score and the hottest tapdancin' this side of Dick's
                          Van Dyke's Dank, Dark Dungeons.

I actually kinda loved it. It's a beautifully atmospheric film, you really feel like you're in the era with the lush sets, costumes, awesome vintage jazz and sets that feel organic and real. You can see and hear where all that money went.

And then the CAST. So many top actors here: James Remar is PERFECT as mob boss Dutch Schultz (I'm surprised he never got more famous) and then you got Rich Gere, Greg Hines, Nic Cage, Laurence Fish, Herman Fokkin Munster, Bobby Hoskins. More. Many more. All being gangsterly.

It's a weird movie because it's like 78% is about Gere/Remar/Hoskins/Cage/Munster and the other 22% is about Gregory Hines's character, who's a brilliant tapdancer who dances in the clubs the gangsters frequent.

But there's no real overlap between the stories, they feel very different, almost like oil on water. You don't know where to focus, really.

Yeah, Hines's story is really good but only seems to be there to justify the tapdancing and provide a softer side to the main story. It really feels glued-on, Hines's character feels more like someone from a mini-film-within-a-film.

Luckily, the tapdancing is INCREDIBLE!!!!! Absolutely breathtaking stuff, Hines and the other dancers are SCINTILLATING, there's even a bit where Hines tapdances with all these old black guys in their 70s in a pool hall and I was grinning from ear to ear, you can truly see they were enjoying it so much it feels like sitting in the sun watching it, pure gold.

So that's why it's awkward. I think they had two movies and tried to combine it so you got a bit of gangsta for the guys and a bit of dancin' for the gals.

It's not an AMAZING film but is a visual feast, a sonic feast, an atmospheric feast.

Admirable, indeed. A noble failure, recommended heartily. Atmos just toooooo goooood. Not far off CHINATOWN, at points.

Tapdancing JUST shades the gangster stuff. But even Remar on top-bollock form can't topple that combo of heavy tap and deeeeeep deeeeeeeep funky jazz.

Tape it, it's on that free channel on digital, forgot the name. You'll likely be glad you did. Too lush to miss.

Comment

'Talking Pictures', that's it. Excellent channel, go show it some love.

Always seem to show great versions of movies, no flies on this channel.

Love it love it love it.

Comment

Talking Pictures is excellent. It shows a lot of forgotten and obscure British fillums. It’s great fun spotting the famous amongst the cast.

Comment

Indeed, I've seen a lot of truly classic films on it which used to be the sort of thing you use to see on the BBC but don't any more. But having said that with the sport coverage affected schedules meaning there are gaps to fill I noticed they have The Cruel Sea on BBC2 later today.

But Talking Pictures is not the only Freeview available channel worthy of praise in that respect. Both Sony Movies Classic and Sony Movies Action regularly deliver some quality old movie fare too. Just today they've had Wuthering Heights (L.Olivier/Merle Oberon) and are now showing Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn (Charles Laugton/Maureen O'Hara) and John Ford's She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (John Wayne).

There's also one of the other WW2 classics on later too: We Dive At Dawn (John Mills/Eric Portman).

I'll have square eyes by the end of the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X