Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got to see Rise of the Synths yesterday. It’s a documentary about synthwave featuring a massive number of interviews from artists in the scene. It’s entertaining. Production values were really high and it looked much nicer than I was expecting, really nicely shot and it was narrated by John Carpenter who added some weight to it all. I enjoyed it. Not sure how much people would get from it if they’re not into the music but I imagine even people with a passing interest would enjoy this.

Comment

American Graffitti
      Reviving the '73 run of movies, this was next and is another I'm sure many will object to but I thought it was naff and having watched it I'm somewhat amazed it's being remade because it's pretty much two hours of fluff with little story of worth to it. I got some interest out of seeing several actors right at the start of their careers and also how quickly you can see how heavily lifted from the film was, clearing creating copycats in its wake but at the same time there's just so little substance to it with most of it being Now That's What I Call 50's Music with footage of driving around town put to it. The remake will have to be incredibly heavily retooled to the point of not worth being a remake.

Enter the Dragon
      I'd seen this many, many years ago so it was an interesting one to revisit and we did enjoy it quite a lot but by the same virtue... classic? That's a slightly more awkward question. Lee is genuinely great, the supporting cast are likeable too and the key sequences are great to watch too. However, the two things I'd probably take away from the film are that Lee is quite clearly head and shoulders above the others around him which makes most of the casts fighting sequences awkward by comparison and also that the plot is in many ways a Bond knock-off complete with espionage on a villains island complete with henchmen, ladies to be seduced, underground lair masking his true plan, cat to stroke etc. The villain is basically Dr No. It's fun though, very easy to watch and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        Enter the Dragon
        I'd seen this many, many years ago so it was an interesting one to revisit and we did enjoy it quite a lot but by the same virtue... classic?
        Absolutely a classic.

Comment

I saw American Graffiti in the cinema some time in the 1970s, probably '78, when it was still regarded as a must see coming of age drama for teenagers.

Didn't enjoy it much at the time and last time I saw it on TV I could not be bothered to watch it all the way through.

Comment

Gotta agree with Neon a bit, I watched ETD a few months back...it's still loadsa fun but it's a bit of a stretch. And this was one of MY movies, must've watched it thirty times as a kid.

I've got THE BLUES BROTHERS taped, I'm just hoping that'll still hold up but I'm scared it won't so I keep procrastinating watching it again!

Gonna rewatch NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990 Tom Savini version) in about ten minutes. I've only seen it twice in the last 30 years but the second time I thought it was better so I'm hoping that trend will carry on. Can't wait to see Tom Towles in it, I remember he was a proper arse in it. Will report back later if the Covid hasn't taken me.

Comment

Watched NOTLD90 for the third time. Third time not so lucky. I've seen this three times now and the original many more times so I guess I'm bored of the basic premise.

It's really good, it's very accurate (bar a teeny twist at the end). And the opening "they're coming to get you, Barbara" bit still feels wonderfully remote and apt and atmospheric.

And this is a great and worthy remake but it's lacking in two areas: tension and gore. It seems even less gory and it's the 'slightly more gory version' I just saw.

The original has MUCH more tension and is WAY creepier...this kinda lacks in the 'peril' area. It's also practically goreless. Less visceral than the original...and it's directed by Tom 'master of gore fx' Savini. And it's bloodless, practically!!!

(so, so disappointing. It needs the punch, especially nowadays. Really affects this. There's about three opportunities for a great exploding head and they fumble it like they got Weinstein Manginas).

Anyway, it's still a great film but it could be a '12'. Tony Todd is ACE as the lead, no wonder he got CANDYMAN, he's very authentic and believable. But everyone else...caricatures.

One BIG thing. The original Resi on PS1 nicked loads from this, basically the house is the inspiration for the more grimy/scary bits of the mansion...there's even a certain staircase that is DIRECTLY nicked. That one with a save room and a green herb at the bottom. You'll know EXACTLY what I mean if you watch it.

And the MUSIC!!!! Resi 1 just nicked it wholesale, it's even the same bloody synth they play it on!!! Watch about an hour into the film. It's the SAME!!!!

Camera angles, lighting, colours. Resi faaahkin nicked it all from this!!!!

(Also see a film called DAGON to see where Resi 4 took a lot of its inspiration from. In my opinion after watching it).

Big up to the zombies in this. They actually look like dead bodies. They're wonderful and realistic and unique like in SHENMUE. I'd say they're probably the most realistic dead-looking walking corpses in a zombie flick. No flies on this.

Finally, and happily, I can report the choon that plays over the closing credits is STILL amazing!!!

It's like John Carpenter on catnip, it's EPIC, cheggacheggacheggidout like Cheggaz Cheggwaz:

Still badass. Totally badass. Oh god. So. So. Gooood.

Comment

Lol. I proper enjoyed writing all that tosh about a 30yr old zombie film.

Awwww. I'm appreciating benign pleasures right now. In some way, this pandemic pushes the person into pockets unexplored.

Ah, well. It's a very interesting era we're in!

Comment

But back on track.

I wouldn't want a 'redux' of this with added gore.

Simple fact is they messed this up by being too wishy-washy. Another noble failure. This could've been a cult epic, it has the guts and cast and choonz and quality!!!!

Oh man this needs some gristle n' guts. Even Charlie Brooker's crap zombie BIG BROTHER thing had better gore, and that was CGI!!!!

(I just realised, somehow, that this movie has affected my feelings in some small way. You only feel pain when you love).

Comment

The 'Burbs
                    Long time since I last saw this and I forgot how little generally happens for most of the run time. I seemed to recall the creepy family playing a bigger role than they actually do, overall it was alright but not as fun as memory had it.

Comment

APOLLO 11, the documentary currently on Netflix. Anything about the moon landings is like catnip for me, so this was a no-brainer. No narrative, either, which was nice. And all you’re ever really looking for is a new angle, a photo you haven’t seen, a comment you haven’t heard. There was enough of that to keep me happy - everything else was just comfort watching. Still can’t believe Armstrong only had 16 seconds of fuel left when he landed the lunar module. The coolness of that guy...

Comment

I watched Doctor Sleep last night. It’s an odd film but it’s enjoyable. A weird mix of feeling somewhat like a Shining sequel yet with a story that feels like it shouldn’t really be a Shining sequel. Some of it feels very much like an old fashioned Stephen King TV adaptation and it’s not remotely scary and doesn’t really aim to be so I don’t think I’d call it a horror film but it has a decent story and good performances.

I was left not sure if I wanted it to be more of a Shining sequel or less of one. It felt like where it landed wasn’t quite as satisfying as it could be. Still, an enjoyable watch.

Comment

Frozen 2. Fun, nicely hammering home the "no, we're not doing another one" point.

Comment

The Aeronauts. Watched it in the cinema and really enjoyed it. Watched it with the kids on Prime Video this evening. They loved it too.

Comment

Watched FROM BEYOND with my mate otter night, he'd never seen it before. He thought it was bloody brill, even got his kids watching it and they love it, too!

It's got some boobs in but it's pretty tame. I'm glad he's not wrapping his kids in cotton wool like our kid was trying. They weren't allowed to watch Resident Evil til they were 16. Until our kid caved and let them watch it. Owt for an easy life, now they're all into good anime.

What's wrong with seeing a bit of tit in an 80s horror? Sure beats 'em watching online beheading and guys getting bummed by horses, that's for sure!

Comment

The Legend of Hell House
                                Another '73 movie down. This one stars Roddy McDowell and follows four people sent into a haunted house for five days to confirm or debunk its possession. You have the physical medium, the mental medium and a couple who are science based. Interestingly all don't question the manifestation but interpret it differently with Roddy being the physical medium who is also the only person to have ever survived the house. It isn't a great film but I found it oddly compelling so easy to watch through.

Frozen II
                                Each time I watch this I think it improves as an experience. Definitely in some ways I prefer it to the first film now. It's interesting as well that to a reasonable extent the franchise has the Luke Skywalker effect with Elsa - a central character who is held as the key hero of the franchise but is actually pretty rubbish and unsuccessful. It is and always was all about Anna.

Onward
                                This was better than the trailers had it be though it's not going to trouble the upper levels of Pixar's peak. It's a pretty light and fluff ride and it does go the for the feels at times but nowhere near as much as it could and when it does it's in a fairly obvious way. Solid stuff but you'll quickly move on from the experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X