Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Lord of the Rings Return of the King today. It’s SOOOOOO LOOOOOOONG. I feel like I’ve woken up from a coma. But it’s enjoyable and epic and it really holds up all these years later, the odd bit of dodgy green screen aside. The battle stuff, like in Two Towers, is superb and well thought out, well staged and well paced. You can see the strategy and it feels believable, even when we’re looking at fantasy stuff.

Odd though, looking back on these, that the whole first movie is about setting up that singular mission for Frodo but he’s kind of sidelined after that and it’s only every now and again that the others wonder how he’s getting on. And he fumbles it when it comes down to it. Aragorn’s lot feel caught between being secondary characters and yet actually the two latter film’s main characters. They’re always more entertaining though, as much as I love seeing Sam as the heart of the movies.

I enjoyed revisiting these after all these years. Epic movies and there probably isn’t anything like them. There certainly wasn’t before and I can’t think of any since.

Comment

Frozen

Finally!

Network was playing up so it kept pausing and looking like a cinema job but it was great. Olaf was an absolute delight and had a brilliant song.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        On The Waterfront - Watched it for the first time early this morning. Proper gritty for an American film of the 50s. Loved the New Jersey docks as a backdrop and Brando was incredible in it, amazingly believable performance, what an actor.
        He could’ve been a contender!

Amazing film.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          He could’ve been a contender!
          I know why it's so famous now. When you see it in context it's heart-breaking.

Comment

Watched the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep. Only seen the theatrical cut the once so I didn't watch this longer version spotting all the differences and additions, I'm just not familiar enough with it to do that, but I did enjoy the longer cut more, definitely ... and I already really liked the theatrical.

For a 3 hour film the six chapters in the DC pace it just nicely. As a King fan and a Kubrick fan there's a lot to love even before you take into account how well it's made and acted.

It's a shame the Overlook fan service overshadows the film a bit. It's so much more than that.

Comment

Six Underground

Crap. One thing I liked was the number of dummies they had flying out of cars during collisions. Many scenes could've had Transformers inserted into them. In fact, a lot of the sound effects were suspiciously Transformers-y.

Comment

The Gentlemen
                From the trailer I actually expected this to be a but better than it actually was. It's nice to see Hugh Grant finally break character and there are some nice turns from the decent cast but it's nothing special plot wise.

The Invisible Man
                Similarly, the plot to this is fairly obvious but it is incredibly well made and plays the domestic abuse angle well having not pretended that playing the mystery angle would get it much mileage. Very strong version.

Jumanji: The Next Level
                Apt that it uses a videogame motif these days because this is like DLC for the first movie giving a bit more of the same and bringing nothing new whatsoever. It's essentially the same film with some minor rejigging and fully exhausts the set up the modern sequels have gone for. The nod in this film to the original is a nice subtle touch again but hopefully if they move ahead with the fourth film they do it more smartly than simply having the avatars in the real world because that will pale hard to the very similar original film.

Brahms: The Boy II
                A very uneffective sequel that I didn't expect to get made. It seems to largely follow up the original by retconning much of the previous films explanation which it does in a fine enough way but it does result in a much more generic set up and there's only one horror franchise with a doll we really care about.

Comment

The Meg
                  Just wanted something light and dumb and this still fits the bill well, enjoyable fluff

Comment

A gots me some top hand pickers out of old Edna way.

Comment

Aguirre, the Wrath of God - Watched this on a mate's recommendation. It follows a Spanish expedition along the Amazon river in search of the City of Gold. Straight away the film has you under its spell thanks to a stunning opening scene ... and as soon as Aguirre himself pop into the frame it tightens its grip even more. I'd only seen Klaus Kinski in For a Few Dollars More prior to this so I knew nothing of his intensity or presence. His performance in this is astonishing ... even when you wonder if it's him acting or being himself, it doesn't matter, and watching it you can understand why Herzog would continue to work with him again and again after this film, despite many challenges he and the other actors had with him. But it's not just the Klaus Kinski show ... Herzog is clearly a bold and fearless film maker ... filmed on location on a tiny budget its an incredible achievement. One of those films that stays in your head for days. Brilliant.
                      Last edited by Atticus; 20-04-2020, 09:41.

Comment

Kinski noob! Go and watch Fitzcarraldo asap!

Comment

That and Nosferatu are both on my radar

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            That and Nosferatu are both on my radar
                            I like And God Said to Cain, which is a spagetti western of his,

Comment

*strikes aaa battery off Atticus’s stubble and lights vaping pipe*

Comment

Captain Marvel. Second viewing. Liked it a lot more this time around.

Comment

Working...
                                X