Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched Star Trek Into Darkness. Man, that is a stupid film and is Abrams all over, hoping it moves on fast enough for you not to realise the stupid stuff that just happened. And it goes for emotional beats that it doesn't earn and then undoes right after. It's like the test run for Rise of Skywalker. And yet... it's not quite as bad as I remember.

One interesting quirk in the Star Trek reboots is Spock. I though the guy they cast was pretty great in the first reboot and I liked that he was a younger, different Spock. And yet in just one movie, Pine seemed to grow up a bit along with the rest of the cast and Spock didn't and so, in Into Darkness, it feels like the dynamic between Kirk and Spock is lost because Kirk left him behind. The same guy doesn't work as well because he didn't seem to age or mature between movies.

Also watched Fifty Shades of Grey. Yep. It's pretty bad and it has a really unrewarding ending. Perhaps I was expecting too much but there was a point in the movie where I thought we might get a bit of insight into the guy character. But we didn't.

Comment

I watched The Dead Dont Die at the weeknd, its on sky cinema at the moment, it skirts the line of being the worst film Ive ever watched but also the best film Ive seen in ages. looking at reviews you either get it or don't as there is just as many 8s and 9s as there are 5s and zero on review aggregators.

The set up is Adam Driver and Bill Murry are Small Town Sheriffs who find themselves having to deal with a zombie outbreak in their small town. You will either love it or hate it, i was quite conused at first as id read nothing about it going in and was expecting some sort of zombie comedy in the vein of zombieland how wrong i was

The difference in set up here is they all seem completely unfazed by it all and everything is played in the most deadpan way. its hard to really say anymore without spoiling it but the following scenes has us laughing out loud as there masterfully written.

Bill and Adam in the car remarking on how familiar the song on the radio is then one says "its familiar because it's the theme tune of the movie". towards the end of the film Adam driver absolutely nails the scene on why he's so self aware about why things will end up bad... because he read the full script, Bill Murry's indignation at only being given his scenes makes it even more perfect"

Last edited by Lebowski; 15-06-2020, 13:21.

Comment

"HEY EVERYONE! I WATCHED STAR TREK! LOOK AT THE FACT I WATCHED STAR TREK!"
        "I also watched Fifty Shades of Grey."

Comment

I'm not ashamed! Yeah, I watched it. You all watched it! Admit it!

Comment

Yeah, don't worry bud, we know, you were just watching it for the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I'm not ashamed! Yeah, I watched it. You all watched it! Admit it!
              Nope.
              Trek or Grey.

A woman at work was going on holiday and was taking 50SoG with her.
              I planned to read a chunk of it to joke about how I'd read it when she got back, but it's awful.
              I didn't even get to any good bits.

Basically it went like this:
              Main woman's inner monologue: "Wow! He's so good looking! Why do I feel like this, I should stop, but he really is good looking, but I should stop feeling like this, but he is really good looking..."

Comment

Well, here's the weird thing about my Shades of Grey watch. My wife wanted us to watch it. But she has seen it before and said it was pretty rubbish. But then why would we watch it and was this some sort of message or would I be reading too much into that because I, on the other hand, knew that I felt Star Trek Into Darkness was pretty rubbish and yet we also watched it without any expectation that she'd put on Spock ears and go all logical at me. And that's partly why I really could have done with a definitive resolution at the end of the movie (Grey, not Trek) but there really wasn't one. That's all probably too much information but you had to push, didn't you? Yes, yes you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  was this some sort of message
                  The message was this:

She wants you to put on a nice suit, drag her into your retro games room, tie her up with Megadrive controllers and have your way with her.

Sounds great, but your eagerness would be tempered by her reluctance to wear the conveniently placed spock ears and/or Uhura costume draped ever-so-neatly over the gaming/youtuber seat which would bear witness to more juice than a Del Monte advert.

It must be the retro games room. Modern consoles are all wireless so don't bother with those. Mind you, a throbbing red mark resembling a Dual Shock 4 on a buttock might be just what the doctor ordered...

Comment

Monster House
                    I remember really disliking this but the kids wanted something a bit spooky so we gave it a go and I enjoyed it a lot more this time. The CG animation that seems to want to mimick stop time still feels like an odd choice but otherwise it was decent.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
                    The little girl plot is still the worst mistake the series has ever made and it's still highly frustrating as to how insanely poorly structured the film is. There's some enjoyment to be had but it's a reminder that whilst the franchise might want to leave the park behind I doubt the audience ever will.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
                    This is a film that seems to fly by with the skin of its teeth. There's not that much to it and what little there is feels obvious from the opening set up as to how it'll pan out but the film carries it off thanks to the strength of the casting. It feels like the filled it out with one hell of an early career casting call in having De Vito, Lloyd, Dourif etc and then hired Nicholson and let him have at it. You just sit for 2hrs being entertained watching the cast.

Comment

These things are tough, but fun!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        These things are tough, but fun!

You planning to run that here or on your Twitter Mr Chimpy pants?

Neil

Comment

Ha, no plans either way, just thought I'd share, but if I run it here will people take part?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Ha, no plans either way, just thought I'd share, but if I run it here will people take part?
                            I'd give it a blast
                            Don't do them on Twitter as it just gets lost or forgotten
                            At least if it keeps cropping up here I'd remember lol

Comment

I watched DR STRANGELOVE for the very first time last night. Um.

Ummmm. Didn't like it. Peter Sellers IS fantastic in it but I...just didn't think it was as massively amazing as everyone's made it seem the last 50+ years.

It would've been dynamite in the early 60s I'd bet but nowadays I find it's a bit too dated and it feels like our world is even crazier, now, than the one presented in the movie. Only Kubrick film I've ever seen that I haven't liked much. It's not BAD...it just didn't stroke my stoat like I thought it might.

Comment

Finally gonna watch that sealed £1 Blu of ROLLING THUNDER I got a few years back from Poundland

What a barg that was. When they still did Blus for a quid. Think it's even a double player with the DVD version included, too.

Will unseal it shortly and can't wait to watch the film, somehow I've never seen it and it sounds right up my street!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X