This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit cheesy to have a famous rockstar in the role, but at least he looks weird and crazy. You see him a few times throughout the movie, with one of his scenes being quite shocking.
    My fave rockstar in a movie was Gene Simmons in Runaway, who was totally convincing as a bad guy.
    I didn't realise it was him for years, because I'd never seen him without the KISS makeup!

Comment

My favourite, given you're talking about him, is Alice Cooper in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.

Oh, no wait. That's one of the worst appearances in the worst film of the series in what could be a contender for worst sequel ever made.

Comment

It's not so bad in something like that as it's already a silly film that breaks The 4th Wall anyway.

In Prince of Darkness, it's dependant on its atmosphere and when spotting Alice Cooper breaks the suspension of reality, it does more harm than good.

Still a minor blip in an underrated film.

"Poison" came on my running tracklist at the weekend and I chuckled to myself as I remembered Alice and his band discussing the toponymy of Milwaukee.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          My fave rockstar in a movie was Gene Simmons in Runaway, who was totally convincing as a bad guy.
          I have that in my old DVD collection, but I've forgotten if I enjoyed it or not. Need to watch it again.

Alice Cooper breaks the suspension of reality
          At least he's a rockstar who actually looks quite creepy and suitable for a horror movie. That's why it doesn't spoil the movie for me. Could have been someone really unsuitable, like Meat Loaf.

John Carpenter featured another famous musician in 'Escape from New York', Isaac Hayes. The Duke

Mick Jagger appeared as a mercenary in the movie Freejack. I watched it a few times in the '90s -- thought it was pretty good.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-10-2019, 17:42.

Comment

Joker. Waste of a trip out.

Comment

I didn't realise it was him for years, because I'd never seen him without the KISS makeup!

Hirst’s fave film!!

Comment

Forgot to say I watched TUCKER AND DALE VS. EVIL a few nights back. Never seen it before, the low key cult hype actually put me off watching it tbh.

It was...pretty good, to be fair. I was in a grumpy, irritable mood when watching it so I'm trying to be fair and 'uplevelling' this movie but there's a bit about halfway through involving a sheriff and a dodgy roof beam that truly had me laughing my head off for about two minutes whole and totally cracked my dodgepot broody moody.

It's a fun film. And made with love. It's not a work of cult genius as many have said but it's trying, trying haaard.

Check it out.

6.87 nailed-planks in the face out of 10

Comment

Keep forgetting my XB1 can play DVDs and Blus.

Thinking I'll be chegginowdd my old 99p chazza shop Apocalypse Now during the next week.

I've only ever seen it once and that was '85 but I was only 10 and really didn't fully understand it and only seem to have a flashback of a quite boring, talky movie leading to a bit in a jungle with a cut-off face (????) that shocked me and kinda sickened me badly (I was 10). I liked Star Wars better.

Anyhoo, it's on my movie bucket list to watch proper. As an adult. A grown man. The time is now. Or sometime next week. I will report back.

Comment

John Wick 3

Great fun. I thought Halle Berry was crazy good in it. We're already used to Keanu by now, so seeing her shooting up the place was pretty darn special. And the dogs!

HOWEVER!!!

The desert bit was nonsense. Why send John to kill Winston? Winston wouldn't have been that difficult to kill(his guys got taken out within mere seconds) and ironically, John himself was the reason Winston wasn't killed. Ok, concierge guy was a beast and maybe he would have been enough to take on all The Table's goons by himself. Also, the goons were pretty rubbish and nothing like what I thought The Table would bring to... the table, but luckily Keanu's gunplay was a joy to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                      HOWEVER!!!
                      Yeah, all of that was nonsense. Made worse for me by the fact that it was the only section of the film where John Wick actually had a goal, so it should have been the strongest part.

The idea of just going to speak to the manager, as if he'd undermine the entire Table, was itself ridiculous. Why would he help John? What would that say to the Table? And then why did he help him? Was John ever really going to swear loyalty? The reasoning behind that whole plan didn't hold up... especially when you take into account how quick he was to drop the idea of following through. It made the whole sequence pointless. In essence, it's like they knew they wanted that big sequence in the hotel at the end but had no idea what to do with the rest of the movie so just killed some time until they could get to that bit.

Why was he an Elder and yet he looked like (and seemed younger than) Del Preston from Wayne's World 2? How old are the kids on the Table?

The whole walking off into the desert and he'll find you, like it's supposed to be a deep metaphor but, actually, that's how it happens? Silliness.

Why would he forgive Wick for killing not one but two people on the Table (that was conveniently not brought up because it would have brought up the awkward point that the person he killed on the Table was guilty of ordering the killing of another person on the Table) and yet want Winston killed for giving him an extra hour?

Even the rules themselves made no sense in this movie.

And then by the end of the movie, precisely nothing had been achieved for anyone. Except one big headache for the production team of Wick 4 who now have to make sure that, if Keanu's missing finger is ever visible, it has to be taken out in post-production. That's a needless headache.

Still as you say, the action was great and those dogs were fantastic. Reeves is very, very watchable. And great to see Robson and Jerome is still getting work. Good for him.

Comment

Gemini Man.

Some weird stuff right there. Quite cool in in sort of B movie kind of way. Usual black ops agency nonsense to create baddies and goodies. The effects were great apart from the fight scenes which looked like they ran out of time or money.

I'd watch again when it comes to Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          Thinking I'll be chegginowdd my old 99p chazza shop Apocalypse Now during the next week.

I've only ever seen it once and that was '85 but I was only 10 and really didn't fully understand it and only seem to have a flashback of a quite boring, talky movie leading to a bit in a jungle with a cut-off face (????) that shocked me and kinda sickened me badly (I was 10).
                          I love Apocalypse Now but there's a famous scene at the end I have never watched. I always close my eyes.

Comment

Best bit is when Bob Duvall steals the show and the helicopters fly arl ower.

Comment

"I love the smell of my palm this morning" or something.

Comment

Joker

Astounding.

I left the cinema wanting to sneak back in to see it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X