This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split

Enjoyed it more than I expected as the basic set up - loony bloke kidnaps girl(s) and resultant failed escape attempts interspersed with psychological/physical battling plus usual denouement - is overly familiar now. But this was more interesting than many of them.

Comment

Watched Infinity Chamber recently, pretty decent sci-fi film I thought. Some chap wakes up locked in a cell but has no idea where he is or why. Really liked the soundtrack as well, shall link part of it below. Worth a watch (it's on Amazon Prime currently).

Comment

Watched Warrior. Nobody ever mentioned that film to me but it was really excellent. Tom Hardy is a beast in it. It’s one of those films where you know exactly where it’s going and that doesn’t lessen the impact in the slightest.

Comment

Watched Bumblebee tonight.

Was far from perfect (I thought the "human interest" story was really clumsy, even if I did like the main character's performance, and some of the jokes fell really flat) but it was the best thing to come out of The Transformers live-action franchise. Glad to hear it's starting a new series which replaces the older one.

Though the best part was the first five minutes.

Comment

IT Chapter 2. Overly long mixed bag. Some painfully on the nose references (whole peices and line recited in one "homage"), some quite engaging scenes and some decent SFX.

Comment

Another Guy Ritchie flick Rock n Rolla - haven't seen it for ages. I don't get the hate for this, it's a fun movie, Thandie Newton is pure hotness!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Glad to hear it's starting a new series which replaces the older one.
                ... hate to break it to you... but they nixed that idea

Lilo & Stitch
                Not seen this in absolutely years, it was reasonable but really embodies that era of Disney where they just lost all sense of themselves. It's no wonder it was one of their first successful film to series adaptations, even this film reeks a little of Direct to DVD in some ways.

It: Chapter Two
                I enjoyed it, it's a solid follow up but definitely the weaker of the two films. It's hard to pin down the failings of the film too much given the need to align itself with the source material. The casting is insanely on point, one of the best casting jobs I've seen in years. The film struggles a little on these fronts most I'd say:

1-The rules of Pennywise feel a little unclear in this one in terms of how he pursues his victims, I can guess the explanation to that but as a viewer I shouldn't have to.
                2-It's tonally a little awkward, aligning the adults personalities with the kids makes the adult feel overly goofy at times
                3-The horror moments are overly CG and OTT and less effective as a result
                4-The sections with the kids feel ropey thanks to questionable dubbing and not entirely convincing de-aging CG
                5-Despite the long runtime it feels like Pennywise is a little watered down and also in this less than the first film

It works as a closing bookend but it's not as tidy and effective as Chapter One is all.

Comment

The Dead Don't Die. (2019)
                  What can I say, showed promise at the start, then slowly descended into a mess of a film. Story got lost about half way through and it became a bit a mess and it's ending or lack of one, was poor, it's a pointless movie, seems to be more common these days.
                  Shame really as the trailers looked promising.

Comment

I watched the Clones of Bruce Lee on a blu ray brought over by pinny.

From wiki "The film gathers together several of the many Lee imitators who sprang up after the icon's death (including Bruce Le and Dragon Lee), alongside performers from the real Lee's films and other veterans of the Hong Kong movie industry. It has been called "The Mount Rushmore of Bruceploitation films"."

It was superbly awful but in an awesome way. An unhinged mad scientist creates three Bruce Lee clones, who are then sent on various missions to fight various bad guys. Gold smugglers, who make kung fu films, and another mad scientist who plans to take over the world. It was just superb

Comment

The Hunchback of Notre Dame
                      Not seen this in more years than I can recall. It was okay but I can tell a mile away as to why it failed to make a mark, barely feels designed with kids in mind.

Beauty and the Beast
                      A while since I last saw this too and unlike it's grating remake, Disney firing on all cylinders.

Popstars: Never Stop Never Stopping
                      Took a long time but finally saw this. Glad I didn't go to the cinema for it back when, it's very much like a TV special that I wouldn't watch again but it's fun enough.

Comment

The Truman Show - a genuine masterpiece. The scene where Carey finally realises the truth is heart wrenching. A truly wonderful performance from him. What was also interesting is the "goggle box" element, truly ahead of its time.

Kill Bill Vol 1 - still my favourite Tarantino flick. Can watch this over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                          The Truman Show - a genuine masterpiece. The scene where Carey finally realises the truth is heart wrenching. A truly wonderful performance from him. What was also interesting is the "goggle box" element, truly ahead of its time.

Kill Bill Vol 1 - still my favourite Tarantino flick. Can watch this over and over.
                          Two of my faves there too, FG.

I need to re-watch The Truman Show as it's been too long.
                          It's the tone of the film that's so clever - it's never too sinister, but never too whimsical.
                          There's a really clever moment where a character is re-introduced and it's so emotional, then it cuts to the Director, telling the producers to swell the music and you realise just how easily you're manipulated when watching drama.

I'm being vague on purpose and avoiding spoilers as I hope one day that [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] gets over his Carreyphobia and watches what I believe will be one of his favourite films.

"Oh, Kill Bill is streaming! I'll watch five minutes..."
                          Two hours later
                          "Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the limbs you've lost. They belong to me now."

Comment

Avengers: Endgame

It's testament to the quality of this film that my wife and I could both watch it in one sitting on a flipping plane. And I hardly watch anything on planes.

I keep hearing people moaning/complaining/worrying about the next phase but I have complete confidence in Marvel.

Comment

Batman (1989). This was a treat in many ways. First and foremost it's nice to revisit post Nolan Batman. It's identity is even stronger. The film looks terrific ... Gotham City is a proper comic book movie world ... it's like a modern day Metropolis. Keaton is on spot on too ... my fave Batman by far. Then it's great to watch free of all the hype that surrounded it when it came out (it's been a LONG time since I saw this). Prior to release the media was massively over-saturated with clips and soundbites and images and songs that by the time it came to the cinema it was like a bingo card of bits you already knew.

Watching it now I think it was made at the perfect time too. Just prior to digital tech that might have ruined it. There are a ton of different special effects techniques going on and they all add together with real coherence. Lastly it's a beaut on 4k blu ... pic and sound are a treat ... proper cinematic boom sound

Looking forward to Batman Returns in the near future. I had even fonder memories of it at the cinema.

Comment

Interesting question:
                                When was the last time you were genuinely impressed by a movie visual effect?

Comment

Working...
                                X