This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    That doesn’t sound like me. You’ve made that up. I would never be so ignorant and insensitive.
    As time passes and you shift from watching epic 3 hour films to 90 minute brainless actioners, then one hour shows, then 20 minute cartoons and finally YouTube videos, you start to ask yourself - "How the hell does Superman Falls watch and play so much stuff?"

Comment

Yep. I know that feeling! There are a whole bunch of films I have never rewatched for one reason only: the run time is too long. It really kicked in as my kids got older and we gave them later bedtimes - the side effect was a steady erosion of our own personal evening time.

And this is why a film will automatically gain a few points from me for being short.

Comment

I remember people bemoaning The Order: 1886 taking 5 hours to complete.
        I now look at that and see it as a desirable trait!
        "Ooh, a Triple-A quality title that won't demolish all my free time for the next year? Amazing!"

looks at RDR2

59.4% Complete

Playtime: 108 hours 5 Minutes

Comment

Well it's a bit off-topic but I firmly believe there is a market for movie-length games.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            Fright Night
            The original, for some reason the missus had a hankering as she has a massive soft spot for the film. There's still some hokey charm left but it's aged so massively and never really commits to the tone of either being a comedic take or a horror one.

Fright Night Part 2

The sequel that is effectively a weaker remake of the original, shame they were so unadventurous in approach on this one.
            Wait, there's a fright night 2? I have the original on DVD but even better I have the main theme song on 7" Record. It's quite rare and it's a Japanese release believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Well it's a bit off-topic but I firmly believe there is a market for movie-length games.
              I've quite enjoyed some of the PSVR games because of this.
              Statik and Here They Lie only took a few nights to complete.
              I'd be annoyed if I'd dropped £50 on them, but brilliant experiences for about a tenner or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                i'd be so onboard with that.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  Watched Titanic in about a million segments over 83 hours. Apart from some risible dialogue, the spectacle is still impressive. Of more interest to me is that I do the topic at work, and a lot of the things I’ve found out over the years are in the film - seemingly for the purpose of fact checking nerds.

For example, the third class bloke having his beard checked for lice before boarding. True.
                  The bloke in a white suit clinging to the handrail, riding the ship down, swigging from a hip flask. True. He was Charles Joughin, chief baker, and the alcohol in his body kept him alive in the water until he was rescued.

They got some things wrong, but the attention to detail is pretty amazing.
                  You should read/watch the making of stuff. It's crazy how much detail went in to this. Like a full proper crystal chandelier they smashed to bits and the plates and Chinawear had the titanic stamps on back, even though you'd never see them.

Comment

Watching Spider-Man Homecoming.

Keaton is a bad-ass villain!!

Comment

The Kid - This was Chaplin's first full-length feature and it's fair to say he hit the ground running. It's a great watch. Very funny (amazing performance from the young actor who plays 'the kid') and very touching.

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - big(ger) budget insanity from Russ Meyer that's like a live action Hanna Barbera cartoon with added sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. The satire hits and misses and runs out of steam, but the songs are great, thanks to made-up rock band The Carrie Nations ... by far the best thing about the film.

Comment

I went to see Us last night. Really good fun with some great moments and references. Now I need to finally see Get Out.

Comment

The Prince of Egypt, as with most Easters.

Still think it's a highly underrated movie, probably because it's Dreamworks animation and because in Hollywood terms, it sits in the shadow of The Ten Commandments. I think it's fantastic, irrespective of your religious beliefs.

Comment

Hop
                            As with anything associated to the leech of celebrity Russell Brand, this was terrible. For some reason the 38 at the time James Marsden is some sort of stay at home loser kid who's parents want him to be responsible and move out. He ends up befriending... sigh, the easter bunny and... well, it's just bad.

Puss in Boots
                            I forget this film even exists but it was on over the weekend. It's not that surprising that I do forget it, it's not that it's bad but it is terribly misjudged in a similar way to the later Shrek sequels. Too caught up in a character or two and void of imagination or anything resembling the world Shrek 1 created.

Tango & Cash
                            Back in an era when stopping your car in front of a lorry and shooting two rounds at it was considered an action set piece, this remains just about enough fun largely due to Kurt Russell who does his usual routine and mostly carries Stallone.

Hercules
                            Passable on rewatch but largely embodies the era of Disney where they lacked much semblance of what made them good at making animated films.

Avengers: Infinity War
                            A rewatch before Endgame hits, decent fun even if it's a roller coaster ride with little depth.

Comment

Get Out - After watching Us I had to see this. Definitely one to go into knowing nothing. Like a great, feature-length episode of The Twilight Zone.

Dragged Across Concrete - Proper slow-burn this, but never drags. Some of the character's flaws make them hard to root for ... but make them all the more believable. The film is full of great moments ... paced in a way that pulls you right in. I thought it was brilliant. And Mel Gibson is outstanding.

Comment

Blood Father on Prime. Mel Gibson doing a pretty decent job of a chase movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X