Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that in the latest Bill & Ted, babes are referred to as WADs.

Drags it into 21st century parlance.

Comment

Nope. Please, learn nothing Bill and Ted!

Comment

No! That's the point of Bill & Ted! They are always true to themselves, but do learn.

They no longer think Joan of Arc is Noah's wife and Abraham Lincoln had wooden teeth and caught Moby Dick.

They're not like Dumb & Dumber.

Comment

Yeah, they’re not as stupid as many remember. The need and ability to learn is core to both movies but, yeah, especially the first. And they’re actually pretty eloquent for a couple of kids. And there isn’t a mean-spirited bone in their bodies so they wouldn’t want to be outdated dicks. That’s what makes the homophobic moments jump out now - because they’re also wrapped up in this weird masculinity thing that suggests you would have to be gay to hug someone, which seems completely out of character. A product of its time of course but I’d hope to see Wyld Stallyns get even closer to their original ideal even if the world they live in hasn’t gone that way.

Or maybe they grew up to be their dads. That can happen.

Comment

I think either way, people will be disappointed. They are good guys, sure, but making it overly PC would kill it. Just keep it the same, and leave the fag bits out. No need for them to reflect on their wrongdoings.

Comment

I think if not shouting out homophobic slurs or now considering that a problem is a person’s definition of “overly PC” then, yeah, I could see how someone might be disappointed. But yeah, I imagine we’ll just see them more reflect modern times.

Comment

The point is, for me, that Bill & Ted do learn throughout their adventures.
                I was a teen when I watched the first film and now I'm a dad, with a daughter.
                The teen version of me also would've reverently lusted after "babes", but more recently I find myself thinking "...but that's somebody's daughter!"

I don't want them to do a 20 minute soliloquy on the dangers of misogyny, but there's humour to be had in them recognising their younger selves in potential suitors hitting on their daughters.

Alex Winter himself has said that he winces when he hears the "fag" line now:
                "Yes, absolutely we’ve addressed this in the past. It speaks to the insensitivity of those times, that none of us are proud of. And certainly don’t intend to repeat."
                (I can't find this tweet to corroborate though.)
                [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION], I've added many words from B&T's lexicon like egregious, heinous and resplendent.

Comment

Yep, they learn. And it's important to remember that they represent the mantra of the first film: be excellent to each other. I don't think many fans would actually be disappointed if their film about being excellent to each other has gone so PC as to be excellent to each other. It's baked into the DNA of who Bill and Ted are. And that's what makes them so likeable - they are really positive characters. Almost like Spongebob and Patrick Star for the previous generation.

It's one thing that's in a lot of '80s movies that was then lost somewhere in the '90s but that first Bill & Ted film is so absolutely sincere and uncynical. It's pure fun all the way. And even though it features characters who aren't exactly smart, it's not really laughing at those characters in any kind of mean-spirited way. The film is full of warmth. Even all the Napoleon stuff is hilarious and we're with him in his discovery of fun. It's like there is another message here of: don't be afraid to just let yourself enjoy stuff. And I love that lack of cynicism.

It's interesting that, even in the 1991 sequel, there is a little less of that. It still embraces the fun and silliness in an open way but it has a touch of mean-spiritedness in there. Just a touch.

And I look at where we're at now with things like the Marvel films and so on (can you imagine the Marvel films being so uncynical back in 1999?) and I feel like it's actually the perfect time to bring Bill and Ted back. The vibe of that first film feels so right for now. It truly is a classic and I wouldn't want it's "of its day" moments to overshadow it or take away from what it is - a hilarious, positive movie about two loveable characters.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Adam Devine (who I think is really funny)
                    His stand up on Netflix was pretty dull/average stuff.

Comment

Watched 'The Last Detail' (1973) for the first time in 27 years. It's on TCM now or has been recently. I used to LOVE this film. In 1992. Proper vintage Jack Nicholson bangin bastard of a movie.

But now it makes me sad. It's nowhere near the banga I remember. But it's still achingly beautiful in bits, the snowy sections near the end are the *absolute* top bollocks.

I'd say watch it once, it IIIIIISSSSSS memorable. And has atmosphere in leaps and bounds.

But it wasn't bangin' out that funky rhythm I was expecting.

6.7 sprats outta Fanny's cradock
                      Last edited by JazzFunk; 25-06-2019, 02:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        But yeah, I imagine we’ll just see them more reflect modern times.

If "modern times" means calling women "babes" is not acceptable, then send me back to the '80s. Equality should be all about men and women feeling free to express emotions with creative vernacular. It's not like women haven't been calling attractive males "hunks" and "fit" for the past 40+ years.

The problem a lot of people have with extreme PC attitudes, is sometimes it feels really uptight and oppressive. People who go overboard with the minutia of PC ethics can really feel like trolls who just want to boss people around. Most people are sensible enough to know what humour, fun, and jest is.

Telling everyone in society to adhere to a severe PC doctrine is only going to create a backlash. There needs to be fairness and common sense. Not a belief that everyone is stupid/ignorant and wicked -- and therefore they need to be controlled and dictated to.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-06-2019, 06:44.

Comment

You probably need to read back over the thread, Leon, because you’re not really hitting on what we discussed. Anyway, party on, dude.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how they go about the portrayal of ill and Ted. The characters are circa 2020 50+yr old fathers so they wouldn't be laid back stoner surfer stereotypes anyway saying 'dude', 'rad', 'bogus' etc unless they make that a self-aware central aspect of a joke about the characters being out of step with the times and therefore, likely, not getting along well with their daughters.

Comment

Yeah it’s hard to know how they can play that. Would it be weird and kind of sad if they are the same but old? But it would be sad if they lost their positivity and innocence. The World’s End explored that pretty well but a similar approach would lead to a very downbeat Bill and Ted film.

Comment

Going modern times would just mean we end up with another Blue Brothers sequel, horrific.

Comment

Working...
                                X