This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, a real disappointment.

I watched Avengement (2019), which is now streaming on Netflix.

It's a Scott Adkins film, so there's loads of great fighting, but he gets to act a bit too, transforming from a naive wannabe gangster into a relentless force of nature.

He has to endure a lot before he gets there and it's pretty brutal...

I really enjoyed this! I was really cheering for his character and wanted him to get his own back on those who had wronged him.

Good stuff!
    Last edited by QualityChimp; 11-12-2019, 12:36. Reason: BOLD

Comment

I watched Return of the Jedi with my kids today. The Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff is fantastic (also the entirety of the movie brings home how The Last Jedi's Luke is a perfect reading of the character) but, that aside and as much as this might be Star Wars blasphemy, I just don't feel the rest is a patch on the first two films at all. It's a very hard drop for me. Still, it's entertaining and totally worth it for the Emperor confrontation.

Special Edition stuff in it is horrid.

Comment

Yeah, ROTJ is pretty lame to be honest. So much Ewok stuff, way too much, and the whole idea that the entire shield generator would be full guarded by like 5 dudes is pretty silly.

Luke/Emporer stuff is great though as you say.

I loved it as a kid, it wasn’t till I rewatched as an adult how much weaker it is than the first two.

Comment

My kids enjoyed it a lot, especially the Ewoks, but man were they merciless about the effects. Fits of laughter at the speeder bike blue screen.

Comment

6 Underground. Michael Bay thing.

Relentless but kinda cool.

Comment

Just finished watching Hanna 2011 again.

I enjoyed it more than previous times for some reason , may be nostalgia kicking but possibly because it reminded me of the foreign crime and action/adventure films, usually French, occasionally German, I watched as a young teenager in the 70s on Friday or Saturday late night on BBC2. It has that same Euro feel to it - slightly odd atmosphere ie. different from any similar GB or US films with style often put before substance and straight forward story telling.

Thankfully this has little of the same navel gazing, philosophical elements you'd often get in those films which you endured rather than enjoyed and is better for it.

It is also helped by The Chemical Brothers soundtrack.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 13-12-2019, 23:47.

Comment

I watched The Force Awakens last night. It’s a bit too fast and, as a result, has a bunch of all too convenient moments and contrivances where things just work out. Criticisms of large parts of it being a retread are valid too. But in spite of those things I really love it and it returned a sense of fun to Star Wars. Finn, Rey and Poe are brilliant characters and Kylo Ren is a superb villain who doesn’t try to just repeat Vader. It’s a great looking movie too. Some lovely shots.

Comment

My mates and I like to watch a Christmas film and we did Die Hard last year, so went with Trading Places this year, which none of us had seen for yeeeeeeears.

It's funny the bits you remember and the bits you forget.
                  Obviously, we all remembered JLC popping 'em out, but there are loads of other boobs we'd forgotten.

The biggest shock was this:

Apart from that, the film still stands as a funny and endearing film.

Comment

Battle for the V1, I started watching this as Michael Rennie one of my fave actors was in it. I'd never seen it before, but it was a true story of how the Polish Resistance managed to gather info on the V1 rocket development, before finally capturing a crash landed test model which didn't blow up. They managed to get a plane from the UK, to come and land in a remote field and fly it home. Really good film, very tense and highly watchable.

San Demetrio London, my Granda was telling me all about this, as he saw it on Talking Pictures a few weeks back. Another true story of a British oil tanker loaded with 11, 200 tons of aviation fuel which was attacked in the Atlantic by a German Cruiser, catching fire then abandoned by the crew before it blew up. They boarded two life boats, one was picked up by another ship, the other drifted for 24 hours before meeting a burning ship (which was their own ship the San Demetrio.)

Despite heavy damage they managed to repair the ship, and sail for the UK despite having no maps, controls, radio, or navigation etc. Really wonderfully shot fascinating film that was very accurate to the real story. In the end they managed to limp home and everyone got a large salvage payout. They were also assisted by an American sailor who posed as a Canadian to join up.

Wonderful stuff!

Comment

Yep, that's ^ one of the good, old, lesser known WW2 films, based on real events, well worth watching.

Above Us The Waves about the mini-sub attack on the Tirpitz is worth catching too.

Odette, Carve Her Name With Pride (both about real SOE agents) and the original Dunkirk likewise. I didn't like Bernard Lee's (M in the older 007 films) self-important Jeremiah like character in Dunkirk but its still a good performance.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                        Yep, that's ^ one of the good, old, lesser known WW2 films, based on real events, well worth watching.

Above Us The Waves about the mini-sub attack on the Tirpitz is worth catching too.

Odette, Carve Her Name With Pride (both about real SOE agents) and the original Dunkirk likewise. I didn't like Bernard Lee's (M in the older 007 films) self-important Jeremiah like character in Dunkirk but its still a good performance.
                        Yes, I've seen those. We had a wonderful film industry back in the day.

Comment

Carlito's Way - the diversity in Brian De Palma's filmography is mind-boggling ... here moving away from the madness and excess to make something utterly beautiful. Possibly the best I've seen Pacino (or heard - his narration is the heart and soul of the film) and the script is packed with amazing lines, one after another. De Palma doesn't forget to add his usual genius touch too ... the pool hall drug deal is a phenomenal set-piece.

Comment

John Wick - didn't do a whole lot for me the first time I saw it but I must have been in just the right mood tonight because I thought it was brill. Thoroughly entertaining. Will be watching pt 2 very soon.

Comment

Dirty Grandpa

Silly nonsense. Loved it. Zack Effron is the complete package.

Comment

Love Actually
                                Everytime I watch it the film genuinely becomes more and more concerning and flawed. At this point the viewing is mostly taken up by the sheer lack of love in any of the stories and the staggering about of fat shaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X