Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Ghost In The Shell last night. Didn’t really enjoy it. Some pretty visuals but I found I had no reason to care for most of it. It was just a bunch of scenes up until quite late in the film when the story kind of kicks in. So I didn’t really engage with it.

Even with the pretty visuals, I thought they did a really bad job at making the place feel in any way real. Backgrounds were like theatre sets, just a backdrop rather than ever selling the idea that this is a populated city where people go about their lives. I didn’t buy it.

Now I’m wondering if the anime just blinded me with its gorgeous looks and I’d feel the same about the story in that too.

Comment

2 Fast 2 Furious

After Marvel wrapped up, we decided it was time to double-clutch that shizzle and vin that diesel, homes. We saw the first one a few weeks ago and it wasn’t that bad. This one was rubbish, though. Not looking forward to Tokyo Drift but maybe I can watch it ironically.

22 Jump Street

Great fun. I like how they worked the whole unnecessary sequel thing into the story itself.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
        22 Jump Street

Great fun. I like how they worked the whole unnecessary sequel thing into the story itself.
        The credits are absolutely superb.

I watched Dr Strange again last night. It's one of my faves.

Comment

Watched Lakeview Terrace a few hours back, saw it once like seven years back and remember it being absolutely superb...with L. Jackson's performance being one of the finest examples of badass arseholery ever committed to film.

All these years later...it's still brilliant. What a movie. Samuel L. Jackson acting his balls off, glowering, flashing horrible, bitter, angry eyes, chewing up the camera with a Satanic glee. It's wonderful.

It's hard to imagine this bloke ever playing Mace Windu. So beige and bland and pious and beige. He plays absolute twats brilliantly! Also see Django Unchained. He brilliantly plays an amazingly twatty twat in that.

Any more movies in which he plays mega-twats??? Let me know, I wanna see them!!!!

BTW watch this film! It's just premiered on The Horror Channel though it's not strictly horror, more a very menacing 'menace movie', a thriller with racial undertones that flips the switch on the norm. And it's ACE!!!

Did I mention that THIS IS WORTH WATCHING ENTIRELY FOR SAMUEL L. JACKSON'S AMAZINGLY, EXCELLENTLY ANGRY PERFORMANCE ALONE????

Comment

I watched Ocean Waves last night. It's a lesser known Ghibli, only recently released on Blu-Ray. It's very different to the sort of things Miyazaki and Takahata put out, being instead a fairly realistic teen drama with some complex, layered characters. Looks pretty nice too, with some very solid animation and beautiful background art.

Worth seeking out if you're a Ghibli completist.

Comment

It's the only ghibli I don't own. I think it was first released as a 2 part TV drama.
              Is it dub or sub? I don't know if it ever got Dubed.

Comment

My son (8 y/o) had got it into his head that he wouldn't like Harry Potter, but I know he would love it.

Managed to make him watch it last night and he bloody loved it!
                It's still a great story, but the 90s CGI and Emma Watson's acting was really ropey!

I'm embarking on watching all the Marvel films, but exhaustion beat me and fell asleep halfway through Iron Man.
                It was fun to watch again and see the seeds being planted for future films.

Comment

Just watched Free Solo (Oscar winning doc about a free climber who sets his sights on El Capitan) with the family, and we were all glued for the duration. Proper sweaty palms of doom too. It's unbelievable. I recorded it off tv last week. its currently available on Catch-up and it's repeated next week. Highly recommended.

Comment

Pet Sematary
                    This was... not that amazing. I haven't watched the previous version or read the book so could just ride with it but generally I felt it took far too long to get to the main crux of the story and even then relied on character stupidity too much.

Comment

The Foreigner

I thought this was great. It has a lo-fi pace, style and tempo that really engaged me. It was like Taken, but with a more political context. There’s no flab to the story, and although the way it unfolds is predictable, it’s highly enjoyable. I didn’t really expect to see twists and turns, so I didn’t want for lack of them.

Jackie is great. He’s a vulnerable figure and plays it really well, with no sign of levity. He’s tough, but not ludicrously so. Brosnan is decent, too, showing that his range is wider than he gets credit for.

The martial arts are few and far between, but that’s ok. It’s a solid and enjoyable diversion.

Comment

Cherry Tree, off The Horror Channel.

It kicked off interesting, it went nowhere. I love the low key locations and it's well shot but it lost me and bored me by the end. Has some excellent music, tho.

When I heard the StudioCanal theme at the start, I was thinking "at least this will be half-decent".

And that's what it is. Half-decent. 333/666

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          Watched Lakeview Terrace a few hours back, saw it once like seven years back and remember it being absolutely superb...with L. Jackson's performance being one of the finest examples of badass arseholery ever committed to film.

All these years later...it's still brilliant. What a movie. Samuel L. Jackson acting his balls off, glowering, flashing horrible, bitter, angry eyes, chewing up the camera with a Satanic glee. It's wonderful.

It's hard to imagine this bloke ever playing Mace Windu. So beige and bland and pious and beige. He plays absolute twats brilliantly! Also see Django Unchained. He brilliantly plays an amazingly twatty twat in that.

Any more movies in which he plays mega-twats??? Let me know, I wanna see them!!!!

BTW watch this film! It's just premiered on The Horror Channel though it's not strictly horror, more a very menacing 'menace movie', a thriller with racial undertones that flips the switch on the norm. And it's ACE!!!

Did I mention that THIS IS WORTH WATCHING ENTIRELY FOR SAMUEL L. JACKSON'S AMAZINGLY, EXCELLENTLY ANGRY PERFORMANCE ALONE????
                          Good shout this. I recorded it this week and watched it tonight. Never seen it before and really enjoyed it. I love this kind of set up, with bad things going on in the burbs. And yeah, one of SLJ's best performances for sure.

Comment

US: A horror/thriller film by the same director as Get Out.
                            The opening set up and 2/3rds of the film show some real potential. But then the last 3rd seems to introduce comedy elements and the whole tone of the film goes all over the place. The characters seem to not only get out of sticky situations but have fun doing it. It actually verges on 'Shawn of the dead' at parts. I don't know what happened to the writers.
                            The directing is faultless and the acting is great too, but it's a bit of a mess.

Comment

The Mummy (2017). Dross. It's like they saw how bad it was, so tried to make it worse. Confusing mess of a plot. Stupid characters. Enemies constantly putting the main character in danger even though they should be doing the opposite. And Dr Jeckle / Mr Hyde? Where did that come from???

Comment

I watched This Is The End last night. I hadn’t seen it before and I thought it was brilliant. Really funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X