Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thor: Not bad, not as good as I remember. Bit slow and pondering in places.

Spy: Seen it before. Funny film. The cast are great but, by God, Statham just steals the whole damn film.

Comment

This weekend I went for a double feature of Battle Royale and its sequel. I haven’t watched them in years. Battle Royale is brilliant even after all these years. Such a tight, neat movie with so many great parts and a whole bunch of characters that manage to separate themselves very quickly. A true classic.

The sequel is a bit of a shame and a missed opportunity. I remember feeling that back in the day but, half way into this watch, I was really enjoying it and thinking that it did the exact right thing as a sequel - it went somewhere very different and really leans into some pretty overt messaging. It has some great characters too. But it hits a lull and never recovers. There is a part where I can almost feel the writer stalling as he tries to think of where the movie could go next. And the answer is it had nowhere to go and it already had filled a decent run time so he should have just wrapped it up. As it is, it’s two and a half hours but it can’t fill that time. The ending vibe is also at total odds with the rest of the movie but I’ll admit there is something kind of interesting about that choice. Its political leanings are also interesting and challenge what we get in every Hollywood movie.

So it’s a curious watch but it feels like there was almost a much better movie here.

Comment

I saw the Lego Movie 2 today. Pretty good. It’s funny and it does what it needs to do... but it’s not particularly special. It’s definitely enjoyable.

Comment

Venom
          Second time watching and you know what? I still enjoyed it. It's just... a palette cleanser of a superhero movie, just fun with no sense of 'event' about it but also has a sense of character that stuff like Ant-Man still can't nail either.

Comment

Battle Royale II isn't a patch on the original, but then neither is Hunger Games, PUBG or Fortnite!

I watch IT last night and really enjoyed it.
            It had a vibe of The Goonies or Stand By Me but with a horror mystery.
            Some creepy jump scares and unsettling imagery, but I think the expectations of horror have shifted since King wrote it in 1986, so not everybody enjoyed it.

I thought Bill Skarsgård did a good job with Pennywise, especially after Tim Curry's iconic performance.
            Definitely more sinister than Curry's goofy performance.
            They were going to CGI pennywise's wonky eye, but Skarsgård can actually make his eye go out and he can do that thing with his lip.
            They did months of filming with the kids, forming a bond of friendship, keeping Skarsgård separate from them since the first script reading and not knowing what he'll look like, so the first time the see him in the Well House, is some genuine reactions!

I'm looking forward to the second chapter now.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 18-02-2019, 09:40.

Comment

I keep meaning to get round to watching It, but I'm getting to the point where I might hold out and binge both parts.

Comment

A Star is Born
                Or a chunk of it at least before we turned it off. There's an overhyped turkey every awards season and here's this years, miserable tripe.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I keep meaning to get round to watching It, but I'm getting to the point where I might hold out and binge both parts.
                  Well, it works quite nicely as a standalone film, but when you realise it's Chapter 1, you want to know how the story continues.

A double-bill could be fun, though!

We watched some of the extras (where I got my facts from) and they cut some sequences.
                  Always interesting to see what was chopped.

This scene had us in stitches though:

Comment

Just watched Cool World for the first time ever. Holly crap, what the hell did I watch. Its a completely none sensical mess. The editing is awful. It's as if massive chunks of the story are missing.
                    The animation interaction is terrible, especially when compared to the older Rodger Rabbit. And there so much **** going on you'd need to be stoned just to even accept it. I watched it totally drunk yet it still hit the WTF button.
                    But do you know what? I kind of enjoyed it because it was so bad.

Comment

Alita: Battle Angel

Most of it was FANTASTIC. Thoroughly enjoyed it at the cinema. It made me want to eat chocolate and oranges.
                      The action was especially good.

Comment

Picked this up this week and it's such a funny horror film with half of the cast from Neighbours and amazing effects by Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          with half of the cast from Neighbours
                          Harold Bishop

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Harold Bishop
                            Yep and he's quite evil in this, Also Gaby and Toby from Neighbours are here and a few more lol

Comment

Australian black comedy body horror featuring Harold Bishop is not something that I knew I needed before today.

Comment

I'll look out for that on The Horror Channel. Bet it will be shoit but what ho, I'm curious.

Anyhouse, three this week.

First was Resident Evil Afterlife. It was a kiddie Resi movie and a mess but it engaged me at, like, three points and it looked slick and had a very faithful Wesker. Yeeeeeah. Thumb up.

Then, onto Exam. A British movie about peeps at a very strange job interview that turns into a weird Crystal Maze scenario then loses steam heavily afterwards when violence gets involved. It thinks it's very clever but it can't fully sustain the cleverness. But it is admirable in its attempts. And it is deffo interesting. But it could've used another draft.

Lastly, Don't Breathe off Film4. Oh my god some originality! Good movie alert!!!!!

This movie has one of the scariest monsters I've ever seen in a movie, ever. Serious. When it first appears, comes alive...so bloody freaky scary. Sorta thing ya DON'T want in yo life!!!!

This is a really great movie! I'm not even talking about something else that happens in it, btw. Haha. Hahahahahaaaaaah.

Comment

Working...
                                X