0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 10 - Starfoxy!

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    Thing is, I don't think any of what you mention would be impossible for Nintendo to re-work for a Switch port of Starfox Zero. I don't even think that it would take that long to do, tbh.
    This is going a bit out of hand for this thread, but...I'm sure it's not impossible, but Nintendo would have to put some coders, graphic designers, testers, and all the money involved into a port for something that might not get the expenses back.

Quote Originally Posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    This is going a bit out of hand for this thread, but...I'm sure it's not impossible, but Nintendo would have to put some coders, graphic designers, testers, and all the money involved into a port for something that might not get the expenses back.
    It's not that out of hand - Starfox are in the Switch version of Starlink, after all!

Yes, any general videogaming development, port or not, is going to take time and money. The amount of time and money that this would take is debatable imo - it's not like the documentation and resources on how Zero was originally built wouldn't be there to begin with, surely?

Without being rude though, it is. A first play thread should be for those interested in playing this Ubisoft game or relaying their experiences with the game.

A lot of this thread has descended into a different conversation with people's opinions of this game (having not played the game), the future of Starfox or indeed whether Nintendo should port Starfox Zero to Switch. Arguably new thread topics.

Last edited by Digfox; 05-01-2019 at 12:26 PM.

The whole point of Starlink is the toys and their modularity. I didn't think it really stands up very well as a game in its own right because of the lack of content, activities, and story (here's hoping the ongoing updates can beef it up a bit like NMS). In this regard, I really don't consider the Switch starter pack to be sufficient to properly enjoy the game. Why they give you two pilots but only two guns is beyond me. The only reason to Switch out the pilots is to get their abilities, which is not enough of an incentive. All of the pilots should have had their own unique missions and story, like Starfox. The fact that they all chip in with dialogue regardless of whether you own them makes swapping them out pointless. I'd have been inclined to buy more characters to hear them say more than some generic one-liners in combat, like Levi (sue me, I liked him, he was like Tom Holland as Spider-Man).

Since you can't equip digital guns to a physical ship, the only way you're going to be doing any exciting on-the-fly weapon swapping (the point of the game) is if you never use the toy so you can use the third, digital weapon it came with. The starter pack should come with a gravity gun, not Mason.

I had fun with the game but I am bitter because NONE of the weapon packs were available in my country until months later, and of course there's no reason to buy them now because there's nothing left to do in the game! I really have my fingers crossed that E3 will bring us toys of Samus and her ship and new campaign DLC for her. The disappointing sales performance really puts that in doubt though. I would have assumed it was a dead cert otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by noobish hat View Post
    The whole point of Starlink is the toys and their modularity. I didn't think it really stands up very well as a game in its own right because of the lack of content, activities, and story (here's hoping the ongoing updates can beef it up a bit like NMS). In this regard, I really don't consider the Switch starter pack to be sufficient to properly enjoy the game. Why they give you two pilots but only two guns is beyond me.
    The starter pack should come with a gravity gun, not Mason.
    Agreed that the Switch starter pack would be better without Mason and including a weapon instead. You don't get the physical Shredder Ship either so there is no point to the Mason figure.

As an aside I do think Ubisoft do deserve credit for putting out digital-only versions of the packs from day-one. There is nothing stopping you buying a starter pack and then picking up the other packs as digital. But I think they implemented it badly not allowing you to mix the two types of physical and digital 'add-ons'.

We just finished the first 2 hours of this, and I must say, we really enjoyed it!

It was a bit of a rocky start. The game wanted to update the docks, but it kept throwing up an error. We eventually worked out it was fine, but you just can't do them both connected at the same time; once we disconnected one, it was okay.

I think it feels great; I love the controls and the responsiveness of the movement. The brightly coloured visuals put me in mind of a more kid-friendly, saturday-morning cartoon Mass Effect. It just seems to play really well, and was superb fun in 2-player co-op. We also had a laugh with the two ships; it's surprising what you can get away with - putting the weapons on backwards was our first attempt to break it, but when that worked, we followed it up by connecting the wings of the ships together to create some frankensteinian creations.

The highlight was unlocking Fox's special ability and using it for the first time. I won't spoil it, but it had me grinning like an idiot.

The disappointing sales performance really puts that in doubt though. I would have assumed it was a dead cert otherwise...
    I'd be very surprised if we see any more, for a couple of reasons - 1) the discounting suggesting a flop and 2) the evident expense of it, as a product. The design, animation, voice acting, music, even the polish on the in-game graphics and sound... I think Ubisoft really sank a lot into this. Some of it might come from being a passion project but there's real bank on display here. And it's a pretty good game to boot.

It's almost a shame they did the whole Toys-to-Life thing and totally missed the boat on it. I can see the target audience is quite young, perhaps 7 and up, and honestly, if I was 9, this would be my favourite thing in the entire world. It's exactly what I would've loved. I have some sympathy for the developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post

I'd be very surprised if we see any more, for a couple of reasons - 1) the discounting suggesting a flop and 2) the evident expense of it, as a product. The design, animation, voice acting, music, even the polish on the in-game graphics and sound... I think Ubisoft really sank a lot into this. Some of it might come from being a passion project but there's real bank on display here. And it's a pretty good game to boot.
    Maybe that's a reason they WILL give it one more shot. If they've invested so much money into the engine, assets, promotion, etc., it would make sense to press on with it rather than flush it all away. They are continuing to work on updates like the photo mode and whatever activity it was they added, so it's not like they've totally abandoned it. I'm wondering if the bigger problem might be that Nintendo is unwilling to lend any more IP to something seen as a failure.

Maybe that's a reason they WILL give it one more shot. If they've invested so much money into the engine, assets, promotion, etc., it would make sense to press on with it rather than flush it all away. They are continuing to work on updates like the photo mode and whatever activity it was they added, so it's not like they've totally abandoned it. I'm wondering if the bigger problem might be that Nintendo is unwilling to lend any more IP to something seen as a failure.
    That's "sunk cost" though, and I think they'll still be wary. Unlike their own recent example, Rainbow Six Siege, the game's not online and doesn't have any in-game purchases (like currencies, lootboxes etc.) which is great as a user, but it limits their options in terms of how they turn it around into something successful.

Of course, as you suggest, I could be wrong. They might have a director on the board at Ubi who really believes in it.

I really enjoyed the first hour of this. Lots of fun shooting action. Utterly different from the tedious first hour of looking for minerals in NMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Digfox View Post
    Agreed that the Switch starter pack would be better without Mason and including a weapon instead. You don't get the physical Shredder Ship either so there is no point to the Mason figure.

As an aside I do think Ubisoft do deserve credit for putting out digital-only versions of the packs from day-one. There is nothing stopping you buying a starter pack and then picking up the other packs as digital. But I think they implemented it badly not allowing you to mix the two types of physical and digital 'add-ons'.
    You can mix the two in a way if you use all the bits in game it unlocks them digitaly and lets you play with them withouht using the toys, ive moved away form using the ship mount as I'm playing it a lot in handheld and am just swapping weapons out via the menu, its not explained but if you have the switch version you also get a digital version of the main game ship as well as a third weapon the shredder.