No announcement yet.

Starlink: Battle for Atlas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now dropped to £12. What a flop this game and IP have been.

Nintendo would've surely been much better off just rehashing a motion control-free version of Starfox Zero for the Switch instead of using the Starfox IP to try and resuscitate this game.

Still...I can't deny that the bargain-basement price is tempting...

Comment

How do you think my 8-y/o son would get on with this, [MENTION=7539]briareos_kerensky[/MENTION]?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        How do you think my 8-y/o son would get on with this, [MENTION=7539]briareos_kerensky[/MENTION]?
        its a lot of game for £12 and its a pretty good quality shooter, think open world star fox where the majority of your time is clearing objectives on planets that involve shooting things. its peppered with some pretty impressive bosses too.

Id pick up a cheap weapon pack or another ship too as there really nice models and its quite fun creating a frankenship and working out good weapon combos.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 02-07-2019, 09:59.

Comment

I guess so, I'll probably love this at that age.

Comment

How do you think my 8-y/o son would get on with this, @briareos_kerensky?
            Just to say, I think he'd love it. Like I've said, if I was 9, this would be my favourite game ever. It's the game I had in my head when playing Frontier: Elite 2.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a physical Starter Pack for the PS4. Although not necessary, are any of the Pilot / Weapon / Starship Packs particularly interesting or worthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                I'm thinking of getting a physical Starter Pack for the PS4. Although not necessary, are any of the Pilot / Weapon / Starship Packs particularly interesting or worthwhile?
                They're all interesting in their own way; I would suggest getting at least one more ship and one of the weapon packs. You can go by simply what you like the look of, as there are so many combinations that you can make most things work.

Comment

Picked up the starter pack (Switch) for £14, pretty sure I'll get my money's worth

Comment

I went back to this for the Easter weekend, to see if I could wrangle some more entertainment out of it.

Honestly, the failure of this game is my biggest disappointment of this generation. The game was, IMO, the best Starfox game in ages - then I just fought this massive dreadnaught and had a space battle that also made it the best Macross game in ages too!

There are other things too which have stunned me. We spent a whole day mopping up all of the stuff on one of the planets, thinking this would be like doing map completion on Assassin's Creed or other Ubi titles (because that's how it feels when doing it), but I'm surprised to find that's actually not how the game works. The Atlas starsystem is at war between different factions, and the outposts you free/territory you take doesn't stay completed; the Legion are constantly invading and the people are constantly fighting. For exampke, I was on my way to a mission earlier only for it to complete on the way, because my allies did it while I was getting there; similarly you can construct planetary defenses and armouries that prevent locations falling to the Legion forces, giving you more time to help them out.

Really loving this, and the further I get, the clearer it is that someone really cared about it. I've said it here before but I honestly feel great sympathy for the devs.

Comment

Finally got around to finishing this.

And that was my first real negative about it; it ends too soon. Given how the story feels, I went into a boss-fight kinda expecting it to be the midpooint, until the end credits showed up. Given, much of the game's content is lateral; you can do tons of extra stuff in it, and after the credits you just go back to the game to continue its open-ended war.

I think, from the way it feels, that Ubi really expected this to be the next big thing, and they would've produced many more chapters which would've continued the story. There are many potential threads and ideas which are fine, but ultimately kinda unexplored. And I've only collected/done a fraction of stuff.

It honestly makes me kinda sad. It's a very good game. I hate to repeat myself but back when I was a kid, I loved things like Ulysses 31, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Voltron, along with games like Frontier: Elite II, and this game is like a mashup of those two things. When you start landing on planets, and first have to break the legion's control, then build up some facilities, then do some missions wherein you meet the locals, then you construct the weapons for them to fight - and when you fight the Prime (boss) to liberate their planet, they come and help you, and the title music swells as you turn the tide together and start to win... It's really something quite amazing. You really feel like a liberating hero in a way that very few games ever manage.

And the Starfox stuff is just the icing on the cake. I never got bored of how Fox's special ability is to call for help from the other members of the Starfox Team, who warp in and kick ass for 30 seconds while a bombastic version of the Starfox theme plays (I even finished the final boss using this).

It really feels like you're inside a kids' Saturday-morning cartoon version of Mass Effect.

Love it, and I would buy more in a heartbeat, but there definitely won't be any, given just how enormous a flop it was.

Comment

The massive irony of this all is that the moment Nintendo decide to pull their finger out and finally make a "Starfox Zero Deluxe" Switch port that totally omits the garbage motion control of the Wii U original, Starlink becomes totally forgotten about.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          The massive irony of this all is that the moment Nintendo decide to pull their finger out and finally make a "Starfox Zero Deluxe" Switch port that totally omits the garbage motion control of the Wii U original, Starlink becomes totally forgotten about.
                          I guess in the popular consciousness, yes. Starlink was something quite different though, and honestly I think it'll stay with me. It really was fantastic fun.

Comment

I bought this for my son but he didn't get into it.
                            I think he found something difficult early on and gave up.
                            He's playing too many iPad casual games that really don't test you, so I need to push him back onto this.
                            Same for Breath of the Wild.

Anyway, it's making me want to play it after that great write-up, [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]!

Comment

Working...
                            X