Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you consider the best Shoot em ups for PS2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gradius V, really is a thing of beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Gradius V, really is a thing of beauty.
      This music score is a thing of beauty too and adds so much to the game. If the 1st stage with the swirling backgrounds and pumping music doesn't get any shooter fan (insert joke here) going, nothing will

Comment

Seeing some silly prices for Ibara on eBay...

Maybe I should hang onto that one.

Of those four cave ports DDP and Espgaluda by Arika are sooo much better. I’m fond of all of them in the end though.
        Last edited by speedlolita; 05-01-2019, 15:14.

Comment

Is Psyvariar import only?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            Is Psyvariar import only?
            You can get a PAL release

Comment

Gradius V is brilliant - easily the best shooter on the ps2

Comment

Cave stuff aside Psyvariar is probably the best vertical shmup on the PS2. The grazing mechanic is a brilliant addition to the genre.

And I'll also recommend Gradius V for a hori. Simply the best shmup on the system.

Comment

Another vote for Gradius V. Treasure dev’ed it so nuff said.

Everyone hyping Psyvariar...You all mean Psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final, right?

Comment

I would suggest trying Psyvariar Complete edition first. It has the medium unit and revised versions.

Comment

Gradius v can be patched for 480p / GSM selector and also works with the blaze vga adapter @ 480p (one of the very, very few games that actually does)

Fagin has a good vid of it here although the video quality doesn’t do it justice, as it looks stunning when playing on a crt monitor in person

I think we're building up a series of videos on this subject!The full realisation of progressive video output from a Sony Playstation 2. Not only for games ...

Comment

Not really adding much but Grad V, DaiOuJou & Espgaluda would be my choices.

Comment

PS2 got a lot of shmups, a lot of the late Dreamcast releases aswell like Trigger Heart Excelica, Psyvariar 2, Shikigami no Shiro 1 & 2, Chaos Field..

Theres also the Psykyo Shooting collections plus Gigawing and Gunbird collections, plus a good collection with Gradius 3 & 4

But as everyone else has said, Gradius V, DDPDOJ and Espgaluda are probably the best of the lot..

Comment

Espgaluda is my personal fave. DOJ is great, but hard as ****, and I've always had a soft spot for Mushi as well. I've got Ibara, but I just never jived with it for some reason, despite liking Garegga et al.

Comment

Silpheed is a good shout.

Comment

Working...
                              X