Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ReReReboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ReReReboot

Now matching Spider-Man's record for close together cinematic reinterpretations comes a fourth version of Turtles

Back in June last year came word that Paramount Pictures had begun development of a third movie in the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” franchise, one that would serve as a reboot of the property. At the time Andrew Dodge (“Bad Words”) was hired to pen the script while Michael Bay, Andrew Form, and Brad Fuller […]

Bay's production company is still involved so it seems like this is purely a creative reboot rather than a full gutting of those involved but the film will start production this year.

Why bother. It will never be what it was. Can't they come up with anything original anymore?

Comment

Cowabunga!

Loved the Turtles back in the day, but like the other Bay movies, the general hate towards them have put me off seeing them, although I hear the second one isn't sooo bad.

Comment

I hear that a lot too but personally it was more of the same of the original. Film has the usual Bayisms of Fox in a schoolgirl attire in 2 minutes and too messy action going on, I think people just liked seeing Beebop etc on screen

Comment

Also, I believe these are of relevance here:

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Cowabunga!

Loved the Turtles back in the day, but like the other Bay movies, the general hate towards them have put me off seeing them, although I hear the second one isn't sooo bad.
            Don't listen to all the naysayers on these ones
            I actually really, really enjoyed them both
            Sure they are dumb Bay movies but as far as dumb Bay movies go these are up there with the best
            The action is glorious the Turtles look fantastic & they gel together well
            It didn't ruin my childhood in the slightest & in fact was what I would class as a fun action packed reboot

It to me was great & I regularly re-watch them

Go in with an open mind & I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
              Sure they are dumb Bay movies but as far as dumb Bay movies go these are up there with the bestl
              People just miss the smart sophisticated thoughtful and slow-brewing observations that the cartoon show about pizza-loving cartoon turtles fighting a ninja guy and his rhino and whatever else the other thing is henchmen offered.

Comment

[MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] ^^^ Yep, I thought they were surprisingly good fun ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  People just miss the smart sophisticated thoughtful and slow-brewing observations that the cartoon show about pizza-loving cartoon turtles fighting a ninja guy and his rhino and whatever else the other thing is henchmen offered.
                  Ha ha yeah exactly

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  [MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] ^^^ Yep, I thought they were surprisingly good fun ^^^
                  They are great for what they are & the set pieces are great
                  The ride down the mountain in the snow in the first movie is still awesome

Neil

Comment

Both films are on Netflix, so maaaaybeeee...

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Why bother. It will never be what it was. Can't they come up with anything original anymore?
                      I was watching Toy Galaxy on YouTube, and he was talking about "the death of the saturday morning cartoon slot". It was interesting; he made the assertion that one reason we're seeing so many remakes is to do with how the economics of entertainment have changed.

There was a period in the 80s where these brands hit something of an apex - Turtles, Transformers, etc. and this even persisted into the 90s with some shows like Power Rangers. It worked because those shows were based upon toy lines. Toy manufacturers financed the shows, and kids watched them on Saturday mornings because there wasn't much alternative. This lack of on-demand choice meant that as a kid, you might watch Pirates of Dark Water or She-Ra even if you didn't like it all that much, because they were sandwiched between shows you liked.

Today, with on-demand entertainment, the economy of entertainment is totally different, and that model doesn't work anymore. Toy companies aren't as interested in financing TV shows, so the shows don't get made. It makes more sense to make new shows based on old properties because they feed on the existing userbase for those shows, and the kids of those people too.

On the one hand, the new laws which tightened up wholesale advertising to kids through cartoons probably improved the quality of kids' TV (in terms of the amount of educational programming) but they reduced the viability of coming up with new properties, so we're now in this perpetual loop. Case in point; He-Man had the original show in the 80s, a sequel in the 90s, a remake in the 2000s and a new She-Ra has just been released. Thundercats had the original show in the later 80s, a reimagining in the 2010s and a new rework is currently on-the-go. Transformers had the original, G2 in the 90s, Beast Wars in the 00s, the movies a few years later.

Turtles is just the next one on the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Spin that wheel
                        Spin that wheel
                        I'm a make ya feel
                        Yo DJ
                        "Get up and party"
                        "I'm here to play you the music"
                        "Come on"
                        "Bring that beat back"

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Both films are on Netflix, so maaaaybeeee...
                          DOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Today, with on-demand entertainment, the economy of entertainment is totally different, and that model doesn't work anymore. Toy companies aren't as interested in financing TV shows, so the shows don't get made. It makes more sense to make new shows based on old properties because they feed on the existing userbase for those shows, and the kids of those people too.

On the one hand, the new laws which tightened up wholesale advertising to kids through cartoons probably improved the quality of kids' TV (in terms of the amount of educational programming) but they reduced the viability of coming up with new properties, so we're now in this perpetual loop. Case in point; He-Man had the original show in the 80s, a sequel in the 90s, a remake in the 2000s and a new She-Ra has just been released. Thundercats had the original show in the later 80s, a reimagining in the 2010s and a new rework is currently on-the-go. Transformers had the original, G2 in the 90s, Beast Wars in the 00s, the movies a few years later.

Yep, but it's very important to note that being a known brand doesn't guarantee success. The '90s He-Man series didn't hit and the remake after that died a horrible death in spite of being pretty much exactly what an old He-Man fan would say they want. Broadcasters have been incredibly risk-averse for more than a decade for all the reasons you mention. Viewership has been split from several channels to hundreds and now what may as well be infinity with online so their figures have crashed. The toy market has suffered blow after blow to the point where even massive hits sometimes don't even fill a small shelf in a toy shop, never mind the whole aisles that some brands used to fill.

It is a very different marketplace for children's content creators. But here's one certainty: the success or failure of a show/film/whatever is rarely dictated by what the old fans think and almost always comes down to what the new fans think. So why rely on an old brand at all? Because getting a film/TV show/whatever off the ground first requires selling to funders/distributors/broadcasters and those individual people will often buy into the known brand or nostalgia. Often not because they think it will work great for an audience just like them but simply because they have their own nostalgia attached. So it's often only after that sale is made that people get serious about tailoring something for a new audience. That's why we'll see over and over that an old favourite is being brought back but then gets changed to the point where it loses everything people liked about it to begin with.

I'm speaking generally of course because the Turtles were always stupid.

Comment

The recent Turtles cartoon was a decent effort, not the current newest incarnation though.

Comment

Working...
                              X