No announcement yet.

Recommend a budget laptop for my 6 yr old son to play Minecraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My nephew bought a £230 HP laptop last year and it is utterly dire.
    Shop HP® Laptops at the Official HP® Store. Traditional, Convertible & Detachable HP® Laptops.

Way to slow for gaming. It takes so long to boot it’s ridiculous. Can even mod it other add a micro SD for more storage. Would be far better with a second hand laptop.

Comment

As mentioned before you could get an i5 office desktop for £100 - typically of the small form factor variety and add a £100 low profile graphics card bobs yer uncle.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I’d expect mods to require more oomph from your hardware than the base game too, from what I’ve encountered in the past.
        There are all kinds of shaders and stuff to make it look more beautiful, however I prefer the mods which simply alter game play mechanics. Those won't need any extra power at all, but of course the mobile/console/VR versions don't come with any mod support at all.

Even texture packs like Dokucraft don't really add anything to the requirements. I tend to install that first and then pick out the best sounding mods which it supports; plus other stuff in the background such as Optifine, Treecapitator, Rei's Mini-map & waypoints, etc.

I'm really looking forward to my boy showing interest in Minecraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
          As mentioned before you could get an i5 office desktop for £100 - typically of the small form factor variety and add a £100 low profile graphics card bobs yer uncle.
          It's this kind of set-up I keep promising myself for a Steam Store Shmup Machine.

Comment

You could grab a 750 Ti as an entry level card for about £40-50 and that would run things happily for a while tbh. Lighter stuff at least.
            Last edited by speedlolita; 17-01-2019, 19:44.

Comment

I've convinced my lad to get Minecraft for my desktop and I'll get him a decent PC game controller (recommendations welcome, ahem). Also, Smash Bros and Pokémon for his 2DS XL.

Thanks for chipping in with ideas guys.

On the mod front, he sees videos on YouTube of guys going through a portal and then they're in Sponge Bob world and the like (maybe it's a bit staged I dunno). Nice cities with real clouds etc.

I imagine all this stuff is easy to add-on?
              Last edited by hudson; 17-01-2019, 20:31.

Comment

An Xbox 360 USB pad or a regular Xbox One pad hooked up with a USB cable would be ideal.

Comment

The more recent Bone pads have Bluetooth too so should just be able to link up wirelessly easily.

Comment

You know, I haven’t tried that. Though I bought the “for Windows” type last year.

Comment

Working...
                    X