Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing there for me, which is great because I have too much to catch up with elsewhere.

Comment

All the demos are now available as is Tetris 99 is your a NSO subscriber. And I think T99 just became my new digital crack.

Comment

Kinda shocked to see responses so calm and considered here, I just watched the full thing and found tonnes to get excited about. Astral Chain looks incredible, the Link's Awakening remake is charming as heck, DQXI looks like a truly definitive version (Orchestral soundtrack! The 3DS/2D display! Dual language! New content!), and Fire Emblem, though still lighter on detail than I'd like, looks like it'll be brilliant.

Also very interested in Oniniki, Tetris 99, Daemon X Machina, Mario Maker 2, and Deltarune.

Absolutely great showing here, if you ask me!

Comment

Link's Awakening looks cute-iful. I'm in.

Comment

There was loads that I really want in the Direct. Mario Maker 2 looks absolutely incredible. I'll snap up Link's Awakening, Yoshi and the Marvel game as soon as they're out. Astral Chain, Rune Factory, Dragon Quest XI, Grid Autosport and Fire Emblem I'll also certainly get, but perhaps not on release day. Will also be nice to have a portable Assassins Creed - didn't like the Vita one.

Comment

Top: Holy crap! That Link's Awakening looks ridiculously good! Got Tetris 99 downloaded along with Yoshi and Machina demos. Fire Emblem will be day one, as will Machina, Zelda, Astral Chain and Mario Maker 2. Too many games!

Middle: I'm excited but not willing to pay $80 for a Zelda remake.

Bottom: Rune Factory 4 looks like they straight up ported the 3DS version, so much for remastering it. They should have zoomed out slightly due to the larger screen on the Switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Did anyone ever play Pikmin 3? I don't mean just here, I mean anywhere.
                Bugger off you, I completed it after release. Great fun too, bought all the DLC.

Comment

One of the more interesting games on the way for the Switch is 'Daemon X Machina', developed by many of the people that worked on the classic 'Armored Core' games. Well, we now have a demo and the game is nicely done.

Daemon X Machina has a demo out!
                  This is the only Switch game I'm interested in at the moment.

"'Daemon X Machina' Has A New Demo On The Switch And It Is The 'Armored Core' Homage We Hoped For

One of the more interesting games on the way for the Switch is Daemon X Machina, developed by many of the people that worked on the classic Armored Core games. Well, we now have a demo and the game is nicely done.

If you go to the Nintendo eShop on the Switch, you will find a new demo for Daemon X Machina, called Prototype Missions.

This features a few missions, as well as player and mecha customization. The big thing for me though is that this game fixes a lot of the problems Armored Core games have had over the years.

As someone that has played and finished every Armored Core game ever made, I do not make the above statement lightly. Kenichiro Tsukuda is a veteran of the Armored Core series and clearly understands what held many of those games back, despite being incredibly well-crafted and engaging games in their own right.

Starting with the new characterization aspects in this demo, not only do you have your own playable human character but also face off against other mecha, or Arsenal pilots. In the old Armored Core games, there were characters but you never really saw their faces, so it made the games feel somewhat inhuman at times.

What’s more, the characters are designed by Kozaki Yusuke, who worked on Pokémon GO among other things, and the voice acting talent isn’t at all trivial either. At least in the demo, we have Shuichi Ikeda and Toru Furuya voicing mecha pilots, with Ikeda’s mecha being obviously bright red as a homage to Char Aznable in Mobile Suit Gundam.

Moving onto the mecha, the customization is more streamlined and less strict than in Armored Core and I think this is a wise choice. Again, the fact that the mecha are designed by Shoji Kawamori in this game is just wonderful and they look great in-game.

The biggest thing to talk about is the controls though. For the most part, these are much better than many of the older and decidedly crazier control setups in the original Armored Core games. However, the way the game is split between aerial and ground control, coupled with the somewhat clumsy way you gain and lose altitude makes me think this still needs more work. That said, the dual analog control setup used here is a lot more accessible and that is a definite improvement.

The game is also using Unreal Engine 4 and while it looks good, in a nicely cel-shaded anime way, the framerate is somewhat skittish at present and much of the messaging on enemies is a bit vague in terms of the HUD layout. So it’s clear the game still needs some more work and general optimization.

That said, this is a game I will definitely pick up once it is out and is an improvement over the classic Armored Core games of old. Whether the team behind this can bring everything together in time for its Summer release is something I fervently hope for.

Daemon X Machina is released for the Switch sometime this Summer."

Comment

My goodness a wish has been granted, I secretly wished links awakening to be remade after playing link between worlds but I though it would be on 3ds if it did, never expected it to be on switch either way I’m stoked it looks adorable. Links face looks a little simple but that’s because they have kept his face authentic to its gb origins. The tilt shift effect suits this one well.

Hope they leave the gb camera stuff in and the bonus dungeon or even just add some new bonuses.

Comment

No Animal Crossing announcement, sigh

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        No Animal Crossing announcement, sigh
                        Not even a logo. Even Metroid Prime 4 had a logo.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                          Bugger off you, I completed it after release. Great fun too, bought all the DLC.
                          I didn't mean it to be disparaging to the series. I just meant that I hadn't heard anyone talking about it when it came out. It felt completely under the radar. I genuinely thought most people had just skipped it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Yeha; ultimately the WiiU was a failure. These games are new to most people.

And in some sense I'm happy for games like Mario Kart 8; it was one of the better games of the decade, ditto for Smash. It'd be a shame for them to languish on a dead platform.
                            It really shows how capable the Wii U hardware was -- and how the system actually had some really good games. I think a lot of the negativity surrounding the machine was largely created by people believing that it was a weak system with dodgy games.

Of course, the Wii U should have had far better marketing and more AAA games during the first couple of years, but I've really enjoyed the machine since 2014. I still use it these days, playing MK8 quite a bit online.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              I think a lot of the negativity surrounding the machine was largely created by people believing that it was a weak system with dodgy games.
                              You're right but... I think it kind of was a weak system with dodgy games. I bought the system quite late so I knew exactly what I was getting myself in for and was happy with it but it feels to me like the WiiU was a rough draft of what the Switch became. The WiiU had some really good stuff (and I'm one of those people who have no problem with them getting a rerelease on Switch) but it didn't exactly have a full library and the big chunky screen controller didn't really do a huge amount other than make clear how useful it could be if you could just walk off with it... which is what the Switch is.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                It really shows how capable the Wii U hardware was -- and how the system actually had some really good games. I think a lot of the negativity surrounding the machine was largely created by people believing that it was a weak system with dodgy games.

Of course, the Wii U should have had far better marketing and more AAA games during the first couple of years, but I've really enjoyed the machine since 2014. I still use it these days, playing MK8 quite a bit online.
                                If a fanboy like me didn't buy one until many years after launch i can see Nintendo had a up hill battle. It's almost like everything that they could have done wrong they did.

I did get one eventually like the same week as the Switch launch but it's now my GameCube machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X