Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm intriguing, theres a controller adapter coming that actually might let me use my pro hori taiko controller on my switch. On the wii it plugs into the wii remote like the original tatacons did and this adapter accepts the wii remote as a controller method. It's still an expensive risk though as it costs 6998 yen

Comment

I’d wait until people actually tested it with the tatacons. What if it worked but caused missed hits? That would be crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
        I’d wait until people actually tested it with the tatacons. What if it worked but caused missed hits? That would be crappy.
        Yeah dropped hits would be a pain, plus there's the risk of lag too. That's going to be a problem as there's really no reason why someone would want to use the standard tatacon as they released a usb one of those so the chance of finding someone who tested it is going to be slim.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is genuine, a joke or a depressing reflection of the systems line up

Comment

Or a sign that subjective list is subjective.

Comment

At best that feature should be listed as an Opinion piece then

Comment

As opposed to a purely factual subjective games list?

Comment

I'll admit, I'm genuinely intrigued to know the reasonings and selection process they went through which is supposed to be in their podcast. It's a shakey advert for Switch regardless given if puzzlers are such a strong suit the Switch isn't even the best handheld for the genre.

5x WiiU/Retro port
                  4x Switch game
                  6x Puzzler/Indie

If that floats someones boat - I guess - but considering the Switch is arguably hitting its half-life and that's the line up that superceeds nearly every exclusive it has they could have considered... I don't see the list as a positive reflection of the system. Pretty damning really, makes it look like an absolute wonder the WiiU didn't blow peoples minds.

Comment

I guess the question is: could you make a better list that shows the Switch in a better light? Personally, I’d say that’s a huge yes but my choices would be purely subjective as would any Best Of list be.

Comment

I think, for me, the Switch might be lacking in some ways software wise but if your a gaming website aiming to run informative features and maintain some sort of editorial balance then the best way of doing this kind of running feature is to have judging criteria that better suits the aims.

So for something like this where the aim is to highlight the 15 best games of the platform the aim should be to place an emphasis on the games produced primarily for that platform. You can have a section in the article that highlights other noteworthy releases but without something along those lines you end up with lists like this one.

Take Final Fantasy XII, it's not one of the best games for Switch, it's one for the PS2. It being ported two generations later and included on the list infers that the Switch generation line up so poor that a PS2 game beats it. It's a bad look for the system. That's before considering it's available on other formats, presumably it'll take a slot on the other lists because if not then it means all those other systems top 15 games are better than the Switch's, another bad look on the Switch. They might as well just publish one article saying 'Buy a PC' given you can play 99% of released titles via some method on it.

I don't think I'd think twice if it was something that was a writer giving their personal list, or a forum user sharing their own preference but it seems a poor reflection of the system to infer that after all this time some old ports and indie puzzlers (all available elsewhere) are the best the Switch has to offer.

Comment

It IS a writer giving a personal list. There is no such thing as a list like this that isn't that. It does not exist. I think you are searching for something that is not a part of our reality.

And if FFXII is a fantastic game and it's a fantastic port (I haven't played it so I can't chip in on either of those), I can't possibly see why it shouldn't be on a list like this. It may have been on the PS2 but it is still on the Switch. You can infer what you want from that but it's you inferring. A great game is a great game. A preference is a preference and a list like this will always, always, always be subjective. You're reading far too much into it like it's some kind of definitive study.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tch-games-2026

I'm not sure if this is genuine, a joke or a depressing reflection of the systems line up
                          That reminds me that I need to get Enter the Breach.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            I'll admit, I'm genuinely intrigued to know the reasonings and selection process they went through which is supposed to be in their podcast. It's a shakey advert for Switch regardless given if puzzlers are such a strong suit the Switch isn't even the best handheld for the genre.

5x WiiU/Retro port
                            4x Switch game
                            6x Puzzler/Indie

If that floats someones boat - I guess - but considering the Switch is arguably hitting its half-life and that's the line up that superceeds nearly every exclusive it has they could have considered... I don't see the list as a positive reflection of the system. Pretty damning really, makes it look like an absolute wonder the WiiU didn't blow peoples minds.
                            the above list is incorrect Arms, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey are all exclusive to the Switch and have never appeared on the WiiU. Zelda was a duel launch and the switch version plays better. ports of Donkey Kong, Captain toad, Bayonetta and Hyrule warriors have gained a lot larger audience on the switch thanks to its superior hardware and larger install base, they should bring the hd remasters of zelda, kirby, wonderfull 101 in my opinion too.

if anything by putting a load of puzzle games and hd remakes in the list shows the diversty f whats on offer it feels like a list
                            that gives you a selection of game for any situation, got a bit more time play? zelda or Mario, only got a spare 10 15 sofa downtime or a train journey to kill, pop on some Tetris99.
                            Last edited by Lebowski; 23-05-2019, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                              only got a spare 10 15 sofa downtime or a train journey to kill, pop on some Tetris99.
                              Well this is definitely a big thing for me. Personally, I reckon almost any game can sit on a Switch game list no matter how many releases it has had if the Switch is the first time that you could pick it up and bring it on to a plane. The Switch has unshackled many games.

Comment

Given the largely homogenized release schedules these days then every platforms list will largely be the same rendering the whole exercise of them doing lists in the first place redundant.

Let's be honest, it doesn't matter which site produces a Top 10, 20 etc list - they aren't new and whilst there's a subjective element to it, if it appears a platform is reliant on software developed for other platforms to make up a quality list then it's a reflection that the system has failed to deliver enough value of its own (so far). A few years from now you won't be seeing many Top 10 lists for PS5 that auto-list the top 10 games on PSN instead just because the PS5 will be backwards compatible so they're theoretically available just as lists for top Wii games don't just list Virtual Console rereleases despite some of the best games ever made were on there.

Comment

Working...
                                X