This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    You almost make it sound like MK9 wouldn't have done that whilst being brand spanking NEW if Nintendo could've been bothered to make even half a genuine effort.
    Yeah, but they’re running a business. Why make a new thing when the old thing is still sellling?

The two powerups thing was added for sure. Always felt it was weird MK8 on WiiU didn’t have that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Let's park that figure and come back later to compare that to how many it will sell in the lifetime of the Switch.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't mean to belittle that figure - it's very impressive. I just mean that even that huge figure had a ceiling with the WiiU and a LOT of people didn't get to play it due to not owning the system.
      Of course. 50m for the Wii version, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        In fairness, MK8 isn't a direct port. It has a proper battle mode (the original didn't have this). Did the original have the two-powerups thing? (wasn't that added? Given that's a small feature). It also added local LAN play for the 12 or so people in the world who have used it (I would've preferred they added single-cart multiplayer, but I guess you can't have everything).

One of the biggest things for me is the bugfix. MK8 weirdly ran at 59fps except for in Time Trial. I think it duped a frame every second, meaning that you would sometimes get this weird "jump". If you've never noticed it, then that's good - but I did, and if you go back to the WiiU one after the Switch one, you probably will.
        These are all things that could've been fixed with DLC and version updates. Obviously the Wii U wasn't going to get this treatment, but let's not pretend that what has been done to justify reheating MK8 for Switch users couldn't have been done for MK8 on Wii U.

MK8D is going great guns sales-wise but it is a rehash - nothing changes that.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 21-03-2019, 17:50.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Yeah, but they’re running a business. Why make a new thing when the old thing is still sellling?

The two powerups thing was added for sure. Always felt it was weird MK8 on WiiU didn’t have that.
          Can Nintendo not run a business by making a new thing and still sell it well? It's Mario Kart, not some obscure IP like FlingSmash.

MK9 as a first-wave Switch title really would've ushered in a new era.
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 21-03-2019, 17:53.

Comment

Well you’ve tackled that yourself. It wasn’t going to be done on WiiU. The game that they brought to Switch is a great game and will reach more people on the system. That’s pretty much all the justification required.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              Can Nintendo not run a business by making a new thing and still sell it well? It's Mario Kart, not some obscure IP like FlingSmash.

MK9 as a first-wave Switch title really would've ushered in a new era.
              Yeah, they could've, but they would've made less cash. Rereleasing MK8 was a low cost, low risk option. If it didn't sell THAT well, they still would've made cash and could've then brought out 9.

As it's turned out, it's sold ****loads, so might as well hold off releasing 9 until the sales for 8 have well and truly run their course.

Boring for gamers but it's sensible for them as a business.

Comment

Well you’ve tackled that yourself. It wasn’t going to be done on WiiU. The game that they brought to Switch is a great game and will reach more people on the system. That’s pretty much all the justification required.
                My point still stands. It should be MK9 on the Switch, not MK8 again. MK9 could reach Switch users all the same and be original, fresh content.

Comment

I dunno what we're even arguing about here. Yeah, it would be great if we had MK9. No one doesn't want MK9.

Comment

Wasn't aware that I was arguing with anybody tbh.

I've stated my opinion clearly - MK8D is a sales success but lazy of Nintendo when MK9 clearly should be the game on the format instead - and people (not you [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]) have rushed to be disingenuous/deliberately contrary.

Comment

It's the near certain complete absence of Mario Kart 9 that is the frustration. MK8 is great and it may have been restricted by the WiiU's userbase size but its reasonable to assume that a great number of those who bought it first time round make up a chunk of its sales second time around too on Switch. Nintendo can take the lazy option and look at MK8D selling well and choose not to make MK9 till next generation but it means the dev team that made it is working on non-racing stuff for ages with staff turnover etc, they lose the momentum they had in making MK8 off the back of MK7. It's also something of a frustration that Nintendo often seems to think having one game of one genre is enough per generation. For some reason we can have 4 Mario Party's but two racing games is too generous? It's not like sales of MK8D would likely be that adversely affected, sure it might sell a few million less overall but they'd more than make it up from immense sales of the new game. If Nintendo make Mario Kart 9 within the first year or so of the Switch 2 we're potentially looking at a 10+ year gap, that's the Rockstar effect where the high sales and profit are mitigated by having to sustain the series for such a long period of time.

N64 did it best, one Mario Kart but we'll give you a Diddy Kong Racing as well a few years in

Comment

Let’s just not distract them until they get Animal Crossing out.

Comment

got Baba is You for £11 after watching the GBomb quicklook, fun at the beginning but im starting to turn on it (completed all main numbered levels in area 1,2,3 and now working on the 4th forest like area, seems like 10-15 levels an area and i think there's 200+ levels) as the game has real problem even within the main routes of not teaching you concepts so it really easy to get stuck for long periods of time as the amount of rules escalates, though to be fair most of these types of levels appear towards the end of the area which by then you would have collected enough seeds to open the next.

an example of this annoyance was the level called prison - to beat it

you can clone yourself which seemed fairly obvious, I kept trying different things over and over using this method as it was pretty clear it clones/npcs are needed by the theme of area the level was alot of using npc's or clones). After 40 mins i gave up and looked on YT, so by trapping my clones between the rule for wall = stop, when i pushed word rules into a clone they overlap, something that hasn't be shown before and the key bit i was missing toi solve the puzzle after that you can push in any direction lets the clone/main body step out of the overlap, so pushing back separates the rule allowing the walls to be walked over....

GB's quicklook.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            No one doesn't want MK9.
                            I don't know. I wouldn't be in a rush to buy it considering I still have tons left to do on 8.

Comment

There’s stuff to do other than drive around or do battles? I adore the game but it’s not Skyrim! You can get a new one without missing out on stuff.

Comment

There’s stuff to do other than drive around or do battles? I adore the game but it’s not Skyrim! You can get a new one without missing out on stuff.
                                Time trials and track mastery, mainly. I'm still bad at a number of tracks. I doubt I'll find the time or commitment to reach 30k online now. That said there's always a friend who only just gets around to picking up the game for the first time, which usually reels me back in.

If a new one came out I'd probably buy it, but I'd be in no rush unless it did something wildly different. I'd prefer a new F-Zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X