This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Wow, $30? Nintendo in reasonable price shocker.
    $8 shipping though, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Nintendo tried the PSBox route with GameCube and it didn't work. Hardware innovation got them back on track.
      Sorry to backtrack by two months - only just saw this.

The Switch is a rebranded (and outdated tech-wise) Nvidia Shield.

There is excellent proof and execution of concept, sure. But there is no hardware innovation here to speak of whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Wow, $30? Nintendo in reasonable price shocker.
        CA$39.99 plus taxes plus $7 shipping.

Basically CA$50 for 1 controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
          Sorry to backtrack by two months - only just saw this.

The Switch is a rebranded (and outdated tech-wise) Nvidia Shield.

There is excellent proof and execution of concept, sure. But there is no hardware innovation here to speak of whatsoever.
          Pretty sure Atticus is referring to hardware innovation outside of silicon - Wii's remote controls, Wii-U's karoke machine gamepad, Switch being a hybrid console. GC was the last time a Nintendo console had comparable specs to the others of its generation.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
            Pretty sure Atticus is referring to hardware innovation outside of silicon - Wii's remote controls, Wii-U's karoke machine gamepad, Switch being a hybrid console. GC was the last time a Nintendo console had comparable specs to the others of its generation.
            Pretty sure I’m referring to outside of silicon too. The nVidia Shield is established hybrid console hardware that nVidia have already produced and that Nintendo have basically repurposed to make the Switch.

If I were referring to silicon then I would’ve mentioned the outdated version of the ARM-based nVidia Tegra SoC that powers both Shield and Switch hardware.

In either case, my point still stands - there isn’t any hardware innovation here.
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-09-2019, 04:42.

Comment

Pretty sure I’m referring to outside of silicon too. The nVidia Shield is established hybrid console hardware that nVidia have already produced and that Nintendo have basically repurposed to make the Switch.

If I were referring to silicon then I would’ve mentioned the outdated version of the ARM-based nVidia Tegra SoC that powers both Shield and Switch hardware.

In either case, my point still stands - there isn’t any hardware innovation here.
              I'm pretty sure you're not, because the Wii is what got Nintendo back on track after the GC, not the Switch.

Perhaps you don't consider the Wii remotes as hardware innovation?

Comment

I got caught up in the hype and pre-ordered two SFC controllers today.

They're cheap and I'm in a good mood and also rather jet-lagged.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you're not, because the Wii is what got Nintendo back on track after the GC, not the Switch.

Perhaps you don't consider the Wii remotes as hardware innovation?
                  Unless you’re deliberately being disingenuous or refusing to comprehend precisely what I’ve written, then it’s obvious that I’ve clearly been talking about the Switch.

Yes, The Wii got Nintendo back on track post-GC but it has nothing to do with the point I’m making about the Switch’s hardware not being innovative.

It’s very simple. The Switch is a repurposed outdated nVidia Shield with Nintendo branding on it. Nothing about that is innovative in any way.
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-09-2019, 07:22.

Comment

What're the alternatives then? How can they be any more innovative?

Like anyone buying the thing cares about how innovative the chips are. No one gives a toss as long as it's playing the right games.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      What're the alternatives then? How can they be any more innovative?
                      Lol. Nintendo Defense Force....mount up!!

Am I not allowed to call them out for what the Switch clearly is? Have I not just given them credit for successfully executing the concept of the Switch?? I bloody own a Switch, ffs!

The hardware innovation is their job to figure out, no?

Why do Nintendo get a pass for rebranding tech that has gone before while Sony & MS catch flack for putting PCs in consoles??
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-09-2019, 07:43.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

Like anyone buying the thing cares about how innovative the chips are.
                        If you’re going to ninja edit, at least properly read what I’ve posted.

I didn’t originally mention chips - randombs did - so not sure what you’re talking about. The Switch hardware is literally a rehash of the nVidia Shield hardware.

Comment

Unless you’re deliberately being disingenuous or refusing to comprehend precisely what I’ve written, then it’s obvious that I’ve clearly been talking about the Switch.

Yes, The Wii got Nintendo back on track post-GC but it has nothing to do with the point I’m making about the Switch’s hardware not being innovative.

It’s very simple. The Switch is a repurposed outdated nVidia Shield with Nintendo branding on it. Nothing about that is innovative in any way.
                          I know you were talking about the Switch, but I'm unsure why. Two possibilities spring to mind:

1) You're the one with comprehension problems and misunderstood Nintendo getting back on track to mean the Switch and not the Wii
                          2) You understood it to mean the Wii but decided to bring up the Switch anyway for some reason

I was being neither disingenuous nor refusing to comprehend precisely what you'd written.

Comment

I know you were talking about the Switch, but I'm unsure why. Two possibilities spring to mind:

1) You're the one with comprehension problems and misunderstood Nintendo getting back on track to mean the Switch and not the Wii
                            2) You understood it to mean the Wii but decided to bring up the Switch anyway for some reason

I was being neither disingenuous nor refusing to comprehend precisely what you'd written.
                            LOL. This has to be a wind-up??

1) I took Atticus talking about Nintendo’s hardware innovation to be Nintendo-in-general and responded as such. You must’ve done as well since you’ve also mentioned other Nintendo hardware in this conversation.

2) Unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure we’re in a thread about the Nintendo Switch so my responses are clearly as such - literally using context and talking about the Switch.

Again, that would be pretty obvious to everybody on here but not you, apparently.

Comment

All this stress is making me more stressed about getting PAL SNES Switch pads... Surely orders must open today.

Comment

Ok, you got me. It's a wind-up.

Comment

Working...
                                X