Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if it's been mentioned previously, but I've been really enjoying Rolling Gunner. Cave-style bullet-hell horizontally scrolling shmup. Not the most graphically amazing game, but plays well.

It was in the sale last week when I picked it up, maybe still is!

Comment

Super excited about AC now. Was already, hype now reaching "ugh hand me a tissue" levels.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        Super excited about AC now. Was already, hype now reaching "ugh hand me a tissue" levels.
        Just make sure your Switch doesn’t give up, as theres no way to back your save file up at all on launch, and Nintendo seem to be building some ridiculous 1 time only save file recovery service for later in the year.

Also means you can’t play it on different consoles, its locked to whatever system you started it on.

Because Nintendo.

Comment

There are rumours now that you’ll be able to do a save file transfer to another Switch ‘later this year’. Still useless, and joining the irritating list of AAA games that have no proper cloud save - Splatoon, Pokemon, now this.

It’s counter productive too: I thought about getting one of the AC Switches in April, but I’ll have already started the game by then. My daughter wants to play it but can’t afford a Switch atm, so will play on mine. That’s two hardware sales lost because there’s no cloud save.

Comment

It's very easy to understand why there are save issues on multiplayer games where backup saves can be abused. The other solution would be that they could only be saved to and managed from the cloud, which I'm sure there would be plenty of complaints about. But your daughter couldn't carry her AC stuff to another Switch without bringing all yours with it for the other reason (and for me harder to understand one) that there is only a single island per system. You and your daughter will be sharing an island. They don't seem to have gone into any detail as to why this is and it has already started fights in my house with my youngest being guilty of some pretty heinous Animal Crossing decision choices.

But I'm in the same boat as you in terms of the hardware sales and it's not just AC - the fact that the account system is messy and I can't just easily transfer the games I bought for my kids onto a new system for them while keeping my own is a real barrier. You can only have a single primary account across all purchases on a system. That's a problem.

Comment

Should be cloud saves on the game at the very least, its 2020 Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                2020 Nintendo.
                = 2005 everyone else when it comes to anything online.

Comment

It's somewhat irritating but broadly I'm not too fussed. One thing every AC has in common for me is that once you get at most a couple of months in and you've finished your home, paid your debts and completed the collections then there's really no reason to ever revisit the games. They have a very finite shelf life and so unless the switch died before summertime I'd have no reason to worry about my save file.

Comment

Well I played New Leaf every day for probably two years and I know huge numbers of others did too and I did the same with Wild World so your shelf life assessment is probably very personal to you. I guess it depends on what you're looking for from it and how you play it.

Comment

With them I just felt like there was a tipping point where the games leant away from discovery and progress and too much toward removing weeds. This new one might be different with the slightly heavier leaning into online updates etc

Comment

I don't think it will be different. From the direct, it's clear that there are many new features but they all serve to enhance what is very apparently the same core game. It doesn't seem to be aiming for a different experience so I reckon you'd be disappointed if you go in expecting that. It's Animal Crossing and, like many Nintendo games I guess, they don't tend to mess with their formula all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                          Not sure if it's been mentioned previously, but I've been really enjoying Rolling Gunner. Cave-style bullet-hell horizontally scrolling shmup. Not the most graphically amazing game, but plays well.

It was in the sale last week when I picked it up, maybe still is!
                          [MENTION=13392]ZipZap[/MENTION]: How much did you pay? I forgot to check it on my wish list and it's back up to full price now.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            It's somewhat irritating but broadly I'm not too fussed. One thing every AC has in common for me is that once you get at most a couple of months in and you've finished your home, paid your debts and completed the collections then there's really no reason to ever revisit the games. They have a very finite shelf life and so unless the switch died before summertime I'd have no reason to worry about my save file.
                            It's kind surprising to hear someone say that they have a very finite shelf life - aren't they famous for having an extremely long shelf life versus, say, an Uncharted or even a lengthy RPG like a Persona or something?

Checking in regularly and so on. I mean I haven't played one but I thought that was the whole thing.

I'm thinking to pick this up. It looks fun and I've never gotten around to an AC.

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                              @ZipZap: How much did you pay? I forgot to check it on my wish list and it's back up to full price now.
                              It looks like it was £14.39 so you didn't miss a huge saving. Considering how much I used to pay to buy these things from Japan in the PS2-era, it's not a bad price!

Comment

Thye definitely have a long playtime compared to most games, I think the ones I spent the most hours on where the Gamecube and 3DS versions but with both I drifted off after a doing most of the main stuff and on later returning there wasn't really anything else to do of much meaning because those core tasks of paying off Nook, decorating the home, finding fossils, catching bugs etc make up the meat of the to do list. That being said I might be underestimating how many hours over those initial months that added up to be to tick those off. If anyone's still playing the 3DS version I'd have no clue what they're doing in it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X