This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    The demo of the new Yoshi game looks pretty but I found it criminally dull. Definitely one I’ll be skipping. Undertale and a thing called 2064 Read Only Memories are on sale though so I got those to add to my long gaming queue.
    It does look lovely, but I found it a bit slow-paced, let's say, too. Just kind of plods along with some gentle jumping and egg-throwing. The only other Yoshi game I've really actually played is Yoshi's Island, but even that was only when it appeared on the GBA.

Comment

All Yoshi platformers since Yoshi's Island have been quite mediocre verging on rubbish if we're honest, no?

Comment

Anyone able to help me out with some questions re: the Switch online account? In short I'm trying to figure out if a 'family' membership covers other regions, gives access to ordering the fancy NES/Famicom joy cons, and so on. I'm sure I heard some rumbling about being able to use UK cards to pay for the service in Japan, but wasn't sure if this was even more of a short-cut. Has anyone had any joy ordering the Famicom controllers in general? I've not seen them being re-sold in some of the places I'd have expected them to be cropping up...

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          Anyone able to help me out with some questions re: the Switch online account? In short I'm trying to figure out if a 'family' membership covers other regions, gives access to ordering the fancy NES/Famicom joy cons, and so on. I'm sure I heard some rumbling about being able to use UK cards to pay for the service in Japan, but wasn't sure if this was even more of a short-cut. Has anyone had any joy ordering the Famicom controllers in general? I've not seen them being re-sold in some of the places I'd have expected them to be cropping up...
          I can't possibly imagine that Nintendo would let that kind of thing slide, even if the Switch is region-free.

That said, I'd be surprised if Tenso or a similar forwarding service didn't work for trying to order the Famicom Switch controllers upon activating a Japanese Switch Online sub, if only because you get a JPN address, no?
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-02-2019, 20:18.

Comment

I've not seen them being re-sold in some of the places I'd have expected them to be cropping up...
            There are some on eBay but bleeding expensive £100+, the two I saw just now ship from Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              All Yoshi platformers since Yoshi's Island have been quite mediocre verging on rubbish if we're honest, no?
              No. Woolly World is great. Easily my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                No. Woolly World is great. Easily my favourite.
                I'm sorry, but Woolly World definitely is rubbish compared to OG Yoshi's Island and I say that as the owner of both WiiU and 3DS versions of the former.

Graphics aside, it is inferior in every other sense and even that might be up for debate.

Comment

Why did you buy a rubbish game twice?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    Why did you buy a rubbish game twice?
                    I didn't. Long story.

Comment

Definitely see myself picking up Dragon Quest XI again to play it in 2D mode. That was a nice surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        I can't possibly imagine that Nintendo would let that kind of thing slide, even if the Switch is region-free.

That said, I'd be surprised if Tenso or a similar forwarding service didn't work for trying to order the Famicom Switch controllers upon activating a Japanese Switch Online sub, if only because you get a JPN address, no?
                        Yeah - I can't see why Tenso wouldn't work for the Famicom controllers, but getting the sub up and running is the bit I'm unsure about. I've seen people saying that with another region's subscription, they've been able to download and use the Famicom game launcher from the Japanese store, giving them access to the releases that haven't had English versions, but I'm not sure whether that's just because it's a separate app that just checks to see if your current user is an active subscriber or not, or if it's indicative of a larger ease around this...

Comment

Yeah - I can't see why Tenso wouldn't work for the Famicom controllers, but getting the sub up and running is the bit I'm unsure about. I've seen people saying that with another region's subscription, they've been able to download and use the Famicom game launcher from the Japanese store, giving them access to the releases that haven't had English versions, but I'm not sure whether that's just because it's a separate app that just checks to see if your current user is an active subscriber or not, or if it's indicative of a larger ease around this...
                          Surely using a Japanese Switch Online sub code on a Japanese user account would suffice? Or is that really not the case??

Comment

Yes, I’ve no experience in this, but maybe setup a fresh Japanese Nintendo account, link to your Tenso address, purchase a Switch Online Japanese code, redeem it on the account and you should be good to go right? Use the Japanese account to order your Famicom controllers and log your Japanese account in on your Switch to download the Famicom launcher.

Makes sense in on my head, at least...

Comment

Not sure with buying a online sub but I have tried to buy stuff using my uk credit card on my japanese eshop account and it will not accept it, yet every console before it happily took my card details wii & 3DS had no problems buying stuff. Ironic really that when they were region locked they were happy to accept my card but soon as it's totally region free they stop foriegn cards working with the japanese eshop.

Comment

This is part of the concern for sure. In summary I see there being three hurdles:

1. Getting a valid subscription
                                2. Having an address in Japan to post them to
                                3. Having a Japanese billing method to pay for them

According to a lot of anecdotal evidence and Nintendo's own support pages (link), point 1 is easily enough covered by a family subscription, and point 2 is just a matter of having a proxy address to use. Does anyone know for sure if you can use eShop codes to cover point 3? In which case, I'm in business...

Comment

Working...
                                X