This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    I'm playing undocked and it definitely has input lag issues. It's broadly fine because of the nature of the game but every now and again you need to move with quicker reflexes and it starts to become increasingly apparent that you can't entirely trust the game to respond to your timing. Manageable but slightly irksome
    Can't say I have seen that at all, every death for me has been down to my magic ability to jump right into enemy characters.

Comment

I tend to notice it mostly on sections where you're linking a series of precise jumps and once in a while it doesn't respond quite well enough, a little less haste on the next attempt is usually enough to compensate though

Comment

Wargroove is out today. It really goods look. If it is even close to being on par with Advance Wars, I'd pick it up. Anyone giving it a go?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Wargroove is out today. It really goods look. If it is even close to being on par with Advance Wars, I'd pick it up. Anyone giving it a go?
          Eurogamer said it was great in its own way, but the review was kinda like I expected - it's so much like Advance Wars. Like, not an Advance Wars sequel or something inspired by the same idea; rather an attempt to re-create it as closely as possible, without really putting much of a spin on it or taking it anywhere else - and it doesn't quite manage it; like it's lacking some of the original's charm.

However, it sounds like if you enjoy the AW games, it'll be perfectly fine, so I might get it. How much is it? Anyone checked yet?

Comment

Yes, Christian Donlan's review was well rounded as usual. It's £15.99 according to a quick Google. I'm kinda tempted. I still have the limited edition of Fire Emblem Fates sat on the shelf sealed though, so if I'm going to play a strat RPG, I feel like it ought to be that really.... :l

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Eurogamer said it was great in its own way, but the review was kinda like I expected - it's so much like Advance Wars. Like, not an Advance Wars sequel or something inspired by the same idea; rather an attempt to re-create it as closely as possible, without really putting much of a spin on it or taking it anywhere else - and it doesn't quite manage it; like it's lacking some of the original's charm.
              Yeah even without playing it, I can already see how this could be the case. It's a cover version. A shame in a way that Nintendo didn't just get their own Advance Wars on the system. But I still might give this a shot. As you say, it sounds like a good fit for anyone who enjoys the Advance Wars games.

Although I haven't played the early ones in years. I wonder if I still have the GBA one knocking about...

Comment

Please, Nintendo is busy making a crapzillion Fire Emblem games. A multi-billion-dollar company can't possibly be expected to make two games at once.

Comment

Not sure if it's a popular view or not but I vastly preferred Advance Wars to Fire Emblem, although they're both good.

Comment

I'm heavily biased towards Advance Wars because Game Boy Wars was the first game I ever bought with my own money, at the age of about 7 or something. I remember going just about mental with anguish waiting for Advance Wars to come out (delayed because of 9-11). Went and bought it from WH Smith on release day. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Not sure if it's a popular view or not but I vastly preferred Advance Wars to Fire Emblem, although they're both good.
                      I think FE has been more of a focus because the series has gotten bigger as time has gone on - the DS ones were successful, Awakening was pretty huge, and the mobile title is making tons of cash (irrespective of what we might think about it).

Conversely Advance Wars I'm not so sure about it. I love them (despite being crap at them) but I don't know how they sold. I think Dual Strike did well, but Days of Ruin didn't even get a proper release in Japan (it was part of some kind of loyalty scheme, digital only). I literally have no idea how the series did before the GBA one.

I think, in some respects, IF are being prudent, because Fire Emblem is more marketable. It has memorable characters, and "the human element" is a big part of what makes franchises big. Advance Wars has a few issues; its characters aren't as memorable or numerous, and I'm uncertain how the series would weather a move into 3D - I almost think that they would need to keep the GBA aesthetic or they just wouldn't work.

Comment

Days of Ruin was pretty competent as a game but did lose all the charm which probably backs up what you're saying.

Comment

The series already went 3D on the GC and Wii, although it's debatable whether you consider that the same series.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                            The series already went 3D on the GC and WII, although it's debatable whether you consider that the same series.
                            I don't, personally, but that's something you could debate.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                              The series already went 3D on the GC and Wii, although it's debatable whether you consider that the same series.
                              Wait, what?! What did I miss?!

Comment

Ah yes, the Battalion Wars games. Were they good, though?

Comment

Working...
                                X