Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes sense. If you are pivoting to services, you need to make those services available on as many platforms as possible. I would expect xCloud to be available on as many platforms as possible - rival consoles, phones, computers, smart TVs, Fire TV, etc.

Honestly, probably a smart long term move IMO.

Originally posted by Superman Falls
    If anything, it probably would be in MS's interests to pursue becoming a third party service with all this more than remaining a hardware maker

Yes, I think that's exactly the plan. It's going to be mayhem streaming-wise soon - we know Google are joining the fray, Amazon is probably a given, an Apple are also said to be considering it as part of their pivot to services.
    Last edited by wakka; 22-02-2019, 12:58.

Comment

Which would make me assume that Microsoft essentially hopes Game Pass will become their new norm over time and that the upcoming next generation Xbox is their final iteration of the machine. Core gamers will look at the system but if it goes high end it means they can say they're targeting traditional gamers with a £500 system that would otherwise ring death bells for them. If next gen rolls out like this one they'd probably be best served by launching a mid-gen high end XBX equivalent with the intention of only getting niche sales figures for it again and launching Game Pass on PS5

Comment

Yeah, that sounds right to me. If you're comfortable with playing via streaming for MS exclusives, it seems to make PS5 an easy choice out of the gate next gen.

Down the line, Sony could be left with a pyrrhic victory - selling the most hardware but in a declining hardware market.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Yeah, that sounds right to me. If you're comfortable with playing via streaming for MS exclusives, it seems to make PS5 an easy choice out of the gate next gen.
          I can't see this having any effect of the next gen, not when the service is built around XBox One S spec and that can hardly cut it today, but for mobile gaming platforms it's more than good enough

Comment

It might be One S spec now (although I haven't seen anything that specifies that myself), but they're clearly serious enough about this that they'll have it running the latest and greatest well. The spec can be upgraded on their side as and when to achieve that.

I'll be fortunate enough to get a 1gbps line later this year, so for me it's an easy choice to go with a PS5 if I know I can get the MS exclusives I want via streaming on that very same PS5 or via another platform (Switch or what have you).

Comment

In twenty years time there might not be any more consoles. Just people streaming services to their $800 smart devices.

It could be the time when we're thankful that Nintendo are so stuck in the past.

Comment

Yeah, Nintendo will still be there making cartridges bless them.

Comment

It might be One S spec now (although I haven't seen anything that specifies that myself), but they're clearly serious enough about this that they'll have it running the latest and greatest well. The spec can be upgraded on their side as and when to achieve that.

I'll be fortunate enough to get a 1gbps line later this year, so for me it's an easy choice to go with a PS5 if I know I can get the MS exclusives I want via streaming on that very same PS5 or via another platform (Switch or what have you).

And given MS haven't even set the service up yet, I'll hardly expect to replace all those XBox One S cloud units next year?

Comment

Well, let’s see what happens. I’d be surprised if they aimed to build their service off the back of old games.

Comment

Well, Game Pass is the best service of any kind on any console ever. First party games will be available at launch, most of the MS Studios published games are on there already. On top of that they let you download the games instead of streaming, but that obviously won't happen on the Switch.

Anyway, hope the rumors are true, but I'll stick with MS hardware. 360, One X, and ready for whatever next.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                        Well, Game Pass is the best service of any kind on any console ever.
                        I'm torn. I think creating a Netflix-esque gaming console service is like a zero sum game against the clock.

Netflix took off, made a ****-ton of money, but now the cracks are showing because all the content providers want their own services instead, because they don't feel Netflix gives them enough money - and that's true, really. I mean think what you can watch on Netflix for a tenner a month; faaaaar more than you could watch via any other legal means.

If Microsoft really push that, they're aiming to do two things:

1) Crush all alternatives by offering too much for too little.
                        2) Do (1) before the content providers complain they don't get enough cash and have to pull their stuff from the service.

If they manage to do (2), then they're golden. If they don't, then it won't work.

This is why MS bought those studios last year, but that doesn't really solve the problem.

Comment

I think most of what cloud gaming offers will conform to a traditional one-off-payment-of-£50 model, with a sprinkling of free stuff for subscribers on top. Like how Amazon Video works for movies.

It’s not like you’ll get free FIFA 20 for £7.99 a month on day 1 of release. Just won’t happen. You’ll pay fifty quid and get an unlimited license to stream it (and, potentially, download it if you have the relevant hardware).

I don’t see the whole thing working like Netflix. It’s a nice service, I subscribe, but it’s mostly just Originals plus a bit of bonus stuff these days. It’s not a viable way of keeping up with the latest films or exploring classic films either - you need BluRay, iTunes, or Amazon Video for that.

Comment

I'm coming off Netflix this month. I have absolutely zero interest in Netflix/Amazon/Youtube productions.

That said I probably have less interest in what Fox/Disney/WB/Sony currently put out, for the most part. I'm fine with paying for our monthly gold Pathé cinema pass (all-you-can-eat IMAX or anything) with torrenting on the side. I'm absolutely never going to collect physical movies ever again.

Comment

Well, let’s see what happens. I’d be surprised if they aimed to build their service off the back of old games.
                              ?

MS makes it quite clear its cloud is powered by Xbox One S units and where the One S is the butt of all jokes when it comes to multi-platform games. That tech is no doubt more than good enough for people wanting a quick game on the smart phone, but its not going to replace or take over, the console experince any time soon

Comment

This looks pretty sweet, like a cross between Contra and Shadow of the Colossus!

Mechstermination Force

Comment

Working...
                                X