This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post

My best so far is 25th. Ben got 17th. After that, you have to be a ninja.
    Not really. You’ve just got make sure that you consistently KO enough of the opposition to build up your badges and thus multiply the garbage lines that you can send out.

It’s true Battle Royale - kill or be killed. If you don’t have any badges by the time you get down to the last fifty then you are pretty much screwed.

Comment

I think the Switch is ideal for this sort of upgrade.

Unlike other consoles which have fixed clock speeds, Switch games already deal with the two modes - handheld and docked - and their differences in available power.

I don't know what processes occur when switching modes but what if there was a pro version of the Switch with a 1080p screen and enough power to run games at 1080p in handheld mode?

It likely wouldn't do 4K in docked mode so that would still be 1080p, but games that experience slowdown on the current Switch would be smoother and those with dynamic resolution(e.g. Doom) would spend more time running at higher resolutions. Games that are already optimised wouldn't benefit unless they're updated to take advantage of the extra power.

As for the cheaper Switch, keeping the current specs and unbundling the dock would still reduce the price a fair amount.

Comment

I think that's the crux of it though, a Switch SKU that increases framerates etc speaks to the exact audience Nintendo couldn't give a damn about. It's why if they do revise the model I expect it will be in a New 3DS manner where any improvements are incidental ones that come as part of them changing parts due to natural advancements rather than them aiming high. E.g, the system has a slightly bigger screen because that's the screen they could get the best deal on at the time. Players then anjoy maybe an extra inch on the screen, 5-8 frames more and save a second or two on loading but that's all you get making it better (assuming you don't want to 'play' with the OS like current model users can) technically but nothing like a 'Pro' model would be. Any benefit rests squarely on a cheaper model for Nintendo given the high ceiling Switch has that needs to come down before next gen systems arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          a Switch SKU that increases framerates etc speaks to the exact audience Nintendo couldn't give a damn about.
          Good point. Also, their own games are usually smooth as silk and wouldn't benefit from upping the specs.

Comment

And yet I wonder what point there really was in the power bump of the DSi or New 3DS? So while it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, there is precedent of Nintendo doing this.

Comment

Eurogamer backs the reports up but the fleshed out details are very key. The cheaper model does indeed sound like it will be a 2DS style attempt to create a wallet and child friendly iteration and is the main thrust of the revisions. The premium model blatantly isn't premium, it's just a N3DS replacement for the current model that makes a few irrelevant tweaks, more than anything it probably harks back to having more to do with getting around the security issues the existing model suffers from. Unless you want a cheap handheld Switch there's nothing to get excited about here, both likely to launch at E3

Comment

Has anyone had any luck upgrading their switch battery?
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 27-03-2019, 11:21.

Comment

This is what it should have been anyway. A cheap home console and cheap handheld that share a software library. As it stands its muddled because of the controller options.

Comment

It doesn't seem to have confused many, being honest. Unlike the WiiU before it, the Switch pitch was very clear. And it works.

Comment

How on Earth is it muddled because of the controller options? Even my mum gets it and she struggles with the Sky box.

Comment

Yoshi's Crafted World gets reviewed and it's... good?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                          This is what it should have been anyway. A cheap home console and cheap handheld that share a software library. As it stands its muddled because of the controller options.
                          I totally disagree. I love what it is, and it's perfect for my uses. As I've said many times, I was someone who loved the Vita/Vita TV ecosystem, but felt it needed to just be that bit better and the Switch improved it in precisely the way I would've wanted, by getting rid of the idea of having two units and just having one transformable one. It's seriously the console I've wanted ever since I was a kid with a Game Gear and a Megadrive who lamented not being able to just have one console that "did both".

I respect that you're someone who really just wanted a handheld, or just wanted a home console, but that's just not what it is. It's selling like crazy because people love the hybrid approach.

Comment

That is fair and I have used the functionality on a few occasions. It mostly stays plugged in though.

I meant that now they are going portable, and assuming controls are mounted for handheld, games like Arms for example become compatible for the original unit only.

Comment

I’d have preferred the controls to have been permanently attached to the unit (reducing its size a bit) with a pro controller in the box. They could have done that for the same money probably. Taking the controllers off the unit and attaching them to the middle bit gives you a pretty lame home controller imo. Also the dock is a poor design really. Still, it’s successful so what do I know!?

Comment

I'd be curious if a reworked version improved any of the compromises the Switch makes to be a hybrid. As a handheld it remains borderline clunky, the joycons never feel secure enough and the system is a tad too weighty and bulky to be a convenient option (no need to go heavy on improving the screen though, there's seriously nothing wrong with the existing one.

As a console, the dock is less than ideal and be though it likely requires no hardware implementation at all having Nintendo have all Switch docked games AA'd be default would help instead of the sub-par jag fest we have

Comment

Working...
                                X