Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

I D/L’d this earlier today. It seems similar to 04, 5 and Zero in how it plays, which is a good thing for me. There are no wingman controls (so far) either. The graphics aren’t much to write home about (it doesn’t support HDR), but the frame rate is 60 at all times from what I can gather. You can swap the triggers so that L1 and R1 are stop and go too thankfully.

I’m yet to try out VR, but I’ll likely go through the campaign before I do as a treat.

Considering how long I’ve waited for it, I’m not entirely sure why it’s taken so long to come out though. As I noted earlier, it’s just a PS4 version of the PS2 games in what it does. It doesn’t look “that” much better than Ace Combat 5, which you get with it for free. It’s not all about looks though; the gameplay is solid and the skill tree means that you have to purchase things that you may not like to unlock things that you do.

In short. Very expensive “does nothing new” Ace Combat title for PS4.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

I am looking forward to your VR impressions.

Comment

I tried the demo in VR and yes whilst the graphics were nothing special, the immersion flying around in VR is really cool. Flying one way whilst looking in all directions from your cockpit is really cool. It's a shame the game only had several VR sessions in it otherwise, I would get it.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
        I tried the demo in VR and yes whilst the graphics were nothing special, the immersion flying around in VR is really cool. Flying one way whilst looking in all directions from your cockpit is really cool. It's a shame the game only had several VR sessions in it otherwise, I would get it.
        Whaaaat?

Ugh, I was about to buy it too. Oh well, maybe when it’s a fiver.

Comment

VR Review:
          "Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown is a wonderful addition to the PlayStation VR’s software catalogue, but is undeniably limited. Those who had already decided to purchase this latest edition of the beloved series will find the VR Missions a perfect accompaniment to their non-VR experience; however, it would be extremely hard to recommend that anyone purchase Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown based on the strength of the VR element alone."

3/5

Comment

This game is awesome and pure Ace Combat. Hope it sells well we need more games like this. This fun at and Japanese development at its very best (how I missed it)

Comment

Watched the half hour digital foundry vid on this today does look mega.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                Watched the half hour digital foundry vid on this today does look mega.
                It's a brill game, more so because instead of the Japanese trying to copy and appeal to the west (with open world games etc) this is a game that goes back the routes and plays like a old school Japanese game and its all the better for it.

Comment

I’m playing on hard, and I can’t get past mission 6 for the life of me. I’ve been trying all weekend to no avail. I knida want to give up, but being that I spent £110 on the game I’m loathe to. Any tips?
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

If it is like the other earlier AC games (all of which I've eventually Aced except the last one which I did not want to play) it looks to be a typical survival mission but with limited ammo. There were missions like that in the earlier games where re-arming/repair option was not practical and you'd often fail the mission just on the time limit if you tried.

From YT it seems to be just the usual stuff necessary to avoid damage: dodge the SAMs and AA whilst taking them out as a priority. If you get that beep, beep, beep increasing in frequency then that's a missile that is coming for you so do not flying in a straight line - simple.

An A10 Thunderbolt if you have it should be ideal but as that looks pretty early in the game anything with good armour stats and high as possible ammo levels should get you through. Maybe a secondary defensive weapon like a radar jammer, if available, might be considered. Also use your guns as much as possible on the ground targets which I would go for exclusively unless you are forced to engage in air to air combat.

You send a couple of standard missiles at a decent AI aircraft at any distance they'll just turn or climb to avoid. It can take 4 - 6 missiles to down one aircraft, ground targets are usually softer and/or stationary so don't be proud and don't waste missiles on aircraft except helicopters and taxiing planes.

Typically in AC a single standard missile will destroy a soft ground target but it is a minimum of two for an aircraft.
                    Last edited by fallenangle; 20-01-2019, 17:28.

Comment

[MENTION=4957]hudson[/MENTION] Where's the demo at?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        @hudson Where's the demo at?
                        JPN PSN.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                          If it is like the other earlier AC games (all of which I've eventually Aced except the last one which I did not want to play) it looks to be a typical survival mission but with limited ammo. There were missions like that in the earlier games where re-arming/repair option was not practical and you'd often fail the mission just on the time limit if you tried.

From YT it seems to be just the usual stuff necessary to avoid damage: dodge the SAMs and AA whilst taking them out as a priority. If you get that beep, beep, beep increasing in frequency then that's a missile that is coming for you so do not flying in a straight line - simple.

An A10 Thunderbolt if you have it should be ideal but as that looks pretty early in the game anything with good armour stats and high as possible ammo levels should get you through. Maybe a secondary defensive weapon like a radar jammer, if available, might be considered. Also use your guns as much as possible on the ground targets which I would go for exclusively unless you are forced to engage in air to air combat.

You send a couple of standard missiles at a decent AI aircraft at any distance they'll just turn or climb to avoid. It can take 4 - 6 missiles to down one aircraft, ground targets are usually softer and/or stationary so don't be proud and don't waste missiles on aircraft except helicopters and taxiing planes.

Typically in AC a single standard missile will destroy a soft ground target but it is a minimum of two for an aircraft.
                          It seems that the best way is to either replay earlier missions to build up monies, or like I have done; re-start on normal and use that to build up monies and greater aircraft in order to come back later as you keep everything that you’ve bought despite the difficulty level you pick. There’s a 15-minute limit, so re-arming is out of the question. My plan to only use the Tomcat for the duration like every other game clearly isn’t going to work here.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            JPN PSN.
                            Cheers bro.

Comment

Jalapeno Store mate

Comment

Working...
                              X