No announcement yet.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can make your planes stick longer by selecting new parts (to upgrade stats and increase damage) as you buy up through the tree ( i still use the Tomcat and A-10 myself), didn't notice this until the mission where attack the 3 bases mission with no reloads, i cleared that by taking out the south base first, i think letting the bombers take off means they'll attack the front line base ending the mission early, so go south, wipe it all out and you get as much time as you like to fight the northern base until the dones show up.

Comment

That sounds very like the very typical AC mission criteria found in many of the earlier games. If you don't destroy a particular attacking enemy force and they deliver their bomb load or overrun a friendly base that is it.

In the last good AC game, AC6 on the XB360, each mission usually had multiple parts and sub-tasks which you could actually isolate from the other on the radar. You could even chose to start from a particular location to make doing that sub-mission, especially if it had a time limit, easier. I found it an interesting part of the gameplay giving you that choice.

Comment

Played the VR demo and it's cool but not really for me.

Just seemed to be a lot of quickly turning from left to right, up and down while shooting at green boxes where the planes are.

Looks lush mind.

Comment

I’m really enjoying this now. Going straight into hard mode was the wrong choice. I’ve built up a decent array of aircraft and upgrade parts now. You get bonus upgrades that you can’t buy too, which I guess is how you max out your planes.

It’s very old-skool, and just well, fun to play. I’ll go for the platinum, but after Biohazard RE: 2 I think. JPN time FTW with the 5pm start time on Thursday.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

It sounds indeed as if they've done just what long time fans of the AC series wanted.

On my wish list along with Metro Exodus.
            Last edited by fallenangle; 23-01-2019, 23:34. Reason: typo

Comment

Deffo pick it up man. Maybe wait for a price drop, unless you want AC5 or 6 too of course.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Not only is this game bloody awesome fun, but the music score is incredible and adds so much to the game.

Comment

I was going to ask about that as in the past AC games have always featured a high quality music score. I often find background music an annoyance in a lot of games but in AC its used as a great mood enhancer.

The end title song: Blue Skies used in both AC4 and a slightly jazzy remix AC5 are particularly good, ending the games on a well judged, appropriately melancholy note.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 25-01-2019, 14:05.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                    I was going to ask about that as in the past AC games have always featured a high quality the music score. I often find background music an annoyance in a lot of games but in AC its used as a great mood enhancer.

The end title song: Blue Skies used in both AC4 and a slightly jazzy remix AC5 are particularly good, ending the games on a well judged, appropriately melancholy note.
                    So on, I mean this track alone is simply incredible. The game is like playing a Christopher Nolan epic scored by Hans Zimmer

Last edited by Team Andromeda; 24-01-2019, 16:20.

Comment

I’ve done Biohazard RE: 2 casual playing. I’ll go back to it in time to platinum, but Ace Combat 7 was the game that I had been looking forward to forever. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies was the game I used to show off my BB Navigator setup with BITD. One of my favourite series of all time. A series that I truly love.

Tonight, I got my VR setup out in a semi-drunken state... All I can say is that it’s SO good, that I just dropped £300 on the Japanese version of the HORI flight stick to go with it. It should arrive in two days, along with a hefty Customs tax, but I don’t care. I need to experience this game in its ultimate form. At least I can play part 5 afterwards to somewhat validate such an outlandish purchase.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Finished the last couple of missions which felt like stepping in to Macross Plus at the end, which i assume put this as a lead in to AC3?

Well i hope they either do a sequel to this or remake AC3 with all the optional the routes, rather than going back to the real world.

Comment

I borrowed this from a friend. It's terrible and the same Ace Combat I was playing 10 years ago.

I appreciate the parameters for what you can do with these games are pretty narrow but they could have served up a fuller dish than this. The gameplay starts out dull and doesn't get any better. It's all so static and typical and done to death, including, of course, the obligatory flying down a tunnel finale. And the game treats you like a complete simpleton because whenever you have to refuel or land, your automatically lined up so that all you need to do is reduce speed. That ain't fun or satisfying.

I gave up on the story after mission 2 and skipped all subsequent cutscenes but from what I could tell it's set in the future when fossil fuels are dried up but it's been discovered that Dairylea cheese triangles can power jet engines but there's a cheese shortage because cows are dying from boredom and so you start a war to try and liven things up. I don't like the wingmen/wingwomen in the game either, they don't seem to do much at all except babble inanely, I swear one of them was talking about Tony from Hollyoaks at one stage. Bloody awful. I was glad to give the game back.

Comment

These games are what they are. Arcade blasts, not flight sims. Like Ridge Racer and EDF and so many other series’, they have a certain style. That style may not be to the tastes of all, which is fair enough, but for fans of the series, this is a solid entry. I enjoyed my time on it a lot.

Foals for courses I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post

Foals for courses I guess.
                              Nice reference.

To be fair the VR mode in this is fantastic. That moment when your launched off the carrier is brilliant and being able to turn your head to scan the sky for enemy is a game changer. Unfortunately it made me quite sick after 5 or 6 minutes and I had to stop playing but, still, it's even more impressive than Wipeout in its implementation, immersiveness and execution.

Comment

Picked this up the other day and gave the VR a whirl yesterday. I'm not sure if it is the game, or that I had played the Iron Man demo earlier in the day, (or possibly the hundreds of hours on No Man's Sky) but I was a bit underwhelmed. I'll give it a go in 2D later on and see if my mind is changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X