Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budget Vacuum Tube Amp for Rock/Heavy Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Vacuum Tube Amp for Rock/Heavy Metal?

I'm interested in buying a Vacuum Tube Amp for listening to rock and heavy metal music, but I have no idea about this sort of tech and tubes. I will be listening to music streamed from my PC through low power speakers or headphones.

I always feel like music sounds too digital and harsh, so I'd like a smoother, warmer sound. I'm looking to spend under £100.

Any advice and recommendations welcomed.

I’ve had a cursory look and I think you may want to up your budget to maybe £200, otherwise you’re stuck with £40 products and I’m not sure how well they’d deliver the sound signature you’re after.

Might be worth looking for a vintage integrated amplifier for what it’s worth too, should be a less analytical sound.

Comment

Agree with speedy, years ago (1980's) when I was into the hi-fi I looked into them but they were audiophile only, outrageously expensive but probably more importantly very low powered, no more than 20 watts RMS.

I'd up my budget and look at older quality integrated amps or even separate power and control amps, Technics were the dogs back then.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I’ve had a cursory look and I think you may want to up your budget to maybe £200, otherwise you’re stuck with £40 products and I’m not sure how well they’d deliver the sound signature you’re after.
        Yeah, there's a cheap range and then the prices shoot up to £200+. Lots of reviewers do praise the ones costing £40 though, so I might see if I can get one from Amazon to test.

Might be worth looking for a vintage integrated amplifier for what it’s worth too, should be a less analytical sound.
        Yeah, I guess retro hi-fi tech might give me the sort of sound I'm after. But I'd have to investigate.

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
        Technics were the dogs back then.
        Yeah, Technics were seen as one of the best. I think some of their classic gear still commands a high price.

I definitely need to explore my options, as I'm not fond of everything sounding so digital. But I still want to use digital streaming instead of vinyl. I don't think it's going to be easy to find what I'm looking for.

Comment

Amazon are pretty good with returns so that isn’t the worst idea. What speakers are you pairing it with btw?

As for thing sounding “digital”, I think an external USB DAC might help you a little. I got a cheap Beyerdynamic UCA222 for my recent audio setup, should give you a less noisy source compared to your audio chip inside the PC.

Comment

What speakers are you pairing it with btw?
            Just Creative T30's that I got cheap a while back.

As for thing sounding “digital”, I think an external USB DAC might help you a little. I got a cheap Beyerdynamic UCA222 for my recent audio setup, should give you a less noisy source compared to your audio chip inside the PC.
            Yeah, I was thinking of buying a DAC. I will also investigate that option.

Comment

Oh, really? Those aren’t passive speakers so adding a tube amp to the chain probably wouldn’t do much. Might be worth seeing if a DAC colours the sound a little or think about getting some passive ones. Or maybe look at a virtual EQ? Might be able to change the sound enough to be satisfying.

Comment

Oh, really? Those aren’t passive speakers so adding a tube amp to the chain probably wouldn’t do much. Might be worth seeing if a DAC colours the sound a little or think about getting some passive ones. Or maybe look at a virtual EQ? Might be able to change the sound enough to be satisfying.
                Lots of food for thought. I have a feeling a £40 tube amp might only work well with headphones -- which is how some of them are advertised.

I was thinking about a DAC before looking at tube amps, so I will investigate DACs and see if there's anything I can afford and will give me the sort of warm sound I desire.

Comment

I think a DAC would be the wiser investment before looking at tubes for sure and suit your current equipment better also.

Comment

Leon what quality of audio files are you streaming and how is the computer connected to the speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      Leon what quality of audio files are you streaming and how is the computer connected to the speakers?
                      I'm using FLAC files and a 3.5mm jack into the onboard audio. So just bog standard. I was just wondering whether a reasonable tube amp would create a warmer sound.

Comment

You'd be better off getting a 2nd hand amp and speakers. Those T30 won't provide a satisfactory experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          I'm using FLAC files and a 3.5mm jack into the onboard audio. So just bog standard. I was just wondering whether a reasonable tube amp would create a warmer sound.
                          I would agree with the other lads on the thread that you would be better off looking at a second hand amp and speakers. I’m also a bit curious about why you would music to sound warmer? Especially heavy metal. Music playback should be about accurate reproduction of what the recording artist wanted you to hear.

Also an external DAC fed from your computer via USB would be a big help too.
                          Last edited by CMcK; 20-01-2019, 09:28.

Comment

Accurate reproduction is only beneficial when the recording is done well, but also some people aren’t fond of that sort of clinical reproduction. Otherwise studio monitors would be desirable for music listening, but I’ve found that all they’ve done for me in the past is expose flaws in production. That’s how I feel anyway. I’m guessing Leon is going for warmth to enhance the enjoyment of what he’s listening to, but also colouring the sound can hide flaws in production. It’s more about the kind of sound signature an individual prefers than accurate reproduction IMO.

Comment

Leon I have a Denon amp you could have if you don’t mind waiting a wee while? It’s the Denon UPA-F10 as seen in this article https://www.gramophone.co.uk/editori...10-mini-system
                              (I have the matching CD player too.)

Pair that up with speakers such as these https://www.richersounds.com/mordaun...-per-pair.html and you’ve got a cracking wee system. I picked up those speakers last month for a system I was putting together for my nephew. A steal at £80.

Comment

Working...
                              X