Apple experts - I need your advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple experts - I need your advice

I'm planning on buying my wife a new ipad later today (after one of the kids knelt on hers and destroyed it a little while back). Just thinking a std entry level one which is £320.

Now, am I buying at the right time? There's a new model due this year but will that launch at a significantly higher price-point? And could the one I potentially buy today be considerably cheaper in a month or two's time?

Not expecting anyone to have a crystal ball but any info/experience you can share would be appreciated. I have an uncanny knack of buying things right before they get discounted

This is what you're looking for - https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Always v useful in determining when is a good time to jump in

Comment

Perfect. Just what I need. Thanks [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION]. The bad news is it's not a great time to buy the entry level model. The Pro looks ace but is big bucks in comparison.

Comment

I don’t anticipate big price drops on the current model, I think you will probably be OK to buy. If we see a new base iPad in the style of the iPad Pro, I would have thought it will be this Xmas at the earliest. And if that does happen, I anticipate it starting at the £499 mark and the current base iPad staying around at the £329 level.

The new iPad Pros are really cool, but at £800 they are overkill for watching YouTube and browsing the web. Only worth it if you’ll invest in and make use of the keyboard and/or Pencil. So depends on how your wife will use it. Spec wise the base iPad will be fine for ages for basic stuff. I still use an iPad from several years ago (Air 2) and it’s very quick.

Comment

Top advice, thanks [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] ... much appreciated

Comment

No worries @Atticus. Worth considering that 32GB storage is not a lot if she will install loads of apps. Almost half will go immediately on formatting and OS.

If it’s mainly Safari/YouTube/Netflix she’ll be totally fine though.

Another tip - buy from John Lewis to get a free 2 year warranty instead of a standard 12 month one.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              No worries @Atticus. Worth considering that 32GB storage is not a lot if she will install loads of apps. Almost half will go immediately on formatting and OS.

If it’s mainly Safari/YouTube/Netflix she’ll be totally fine though.

Another tip - buy from John Lewis to get a free 2 year warranty instead of a standard 12 month one.
              It will be a total Safari/Netflix/Iplayer machine. Going to call into Currys tonight and see if they will match JL and up the warranty. Worth asking I suppose.

Comment

The best iPad now costs £1800

An iPad!

I’m in the market for one to use as a synthesiser/ sequencer so sort of in the same boat re: when to buy. I think I want a pro though so I can run multiple synth engines at once. The joy of iPads is software that would cost hundreds on a computer is tens of pounds on tablets. Really cool synth engines are £10-£20 so the investment is worth it I reckon. Sorry for the hijack.

Comment

[MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] If money is no object, then have at a 2018 iPad Pro as it is clearly Apple's best-ever tablet from a pure technological standpoint.

Otherwise, the standard level-entry 9.7inch iPad that got updated last year is more than enough for your needs, though I would echo the sentiment of needing to buy one with larger storage as tablet apps are storage-intensive nowadays

Might a refurbished iPad at a reduced price be the way to go? Older models (last two-three years?) are still good enough tech-wise (will support current iOS) with only Apple Pencil support missing which isn't a big deal.
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-01-2019, 20:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Otherwise, the standard level-entry 9.7inch iPad that got updated last year is more than enough for your needs
                    Thanks buddy, again, really appreciate the advice. You know, in the shop we decided to go for the entry level one. For the use it'll get its perfect. The Pro model does look incredible but it really is for a far more serious user ... though if money was no object at all it'd still be lovely to have, even at a casual level.

Thanks again for all the help guys, much appreciated

Comment

No worries. I think you made the right choice, both in terms of model and in terms of not waiting.

Comment

Working...
                      X