Playstation (hacked and now) Classic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playstation (hacked and now) Classic Thread

Didn't want to add this to the Nintendo classic thread as i think it deserves it's own thread. It won't be as fleshed out as that thread but finally now that the 1.0 version of bleemsync has been released it is a good place to jump in.

As everyone probably knows the Playstation classic was released to the fanfare of absolutely nobody, the thing rightly bombed hard at retail & now the price keeps tumbling (good time to pick one up folks). In it's stock form it's pretty much a turd cased in plastic thanks to the astoundingly crap selection of games that Sony put on the thing they obviously forgot what the word classic actually meant. However a bunch of fantastic people figured out how to hack it & change it's turd status.

Using just a USB flash drive and some downloaded files you can transform your brick of disappointment into a kickass import ps1 game machine. The website to do the hack is here along with full instructions of how it works

(note mods: there are no roms on that site at all)

Finding the ps1 game images might be a little harder if you don't have disks of your own you also you might have the problem of the downloaded ones been compressed into weird formats and not having a matching bin & cure file. I have found even games i ripped myself from my physical disks were not playing properly as it didn't rip all the tracks, it's taken a lot of tinkering on some games to get the system to accept them. As time goes on the hack utility will hopefully get better and better at autodetecting the games you add but even as a first proper release it's already easily as polished as hakchi is, there are still quirks but it's useable as it is for now. It's pretty clever how you transfer games as you connect it to your pc like you would do with the Nintendo classics however instead of using a dedicated pc program to transfer the games the hack uses the playstation classic console as a web server that you can connect to using a browser, it takes a little getting used to but easy once you figure it out. The other tricky bit is finding a USB stick that works as a lot of them seem to be not detected by the front USB ports thanks to Sonys voltage limiting so unless you power them by a powered USB hub they wont work. Later on theres plans to add OTG compatability via the micro USB input at the back.

It's now easily up along the Nintendo classic consoles, the hack has pretty much transformed the machine into something pretty amazing i'm actually surprised just how well it works now. It's mindblowing that sony already had scanline options in the built in stock emulator but never let you enable them as it makes the games look a hell of a lot nicer on modern tvs you can even select how intense you want them so you can get them looking really nice, the only downside is some fmv modes will not let you display scanlines even if you have them enabled but im hoping that can be fixed further on as they enable more features. They are at some point implementing the ability to wipe the games off the internal memory of the machine and add in your own so you will not need to store them on a usb.

Today i have spent most of the day loading & testing games to see how well the stock emulator handles them i left the FPS counter enabled to see how well it stayed at full speed. So far i'm really impressed with the compatability, however i'm not sure if some of the stuttering glitches here and there are down to the emulator or the fact that my USB thumbstick is not fast enough to get the data off as i think it plays a huge factor. For the most part i have been playing 2D stuff and it has stayed pretty much nearly at 60FPS all the time, even shooters it has dealt with really well.

Here's the list of games i have tried
    *Some of the games below work but have FMV parts that can't be scanlined (yet)
    70's robot anime Geppy-X (works) have yet to try configure to make it able to change to the other 3 disks
    Oh-No! (works)*
    Pepsiman (works)*
    Ore no ryouri (works perfectly but needs a pad with analogue sticks) (hopefully implemented in a later version)
    Harmful park (works)
    Tondemo crisis (works)
    Chou Aniki - Kyuukyoku muteki ginga saikyou otoko (works)
    Charumera (works)*
    Time Bokan Series - Bokan to Ippatsu! Doronboo (works)
    Time Bokan Series - Bokan desu yo (works)
    Yakiniku bugyou (works)
    Yakitori Musume - Sugo ude hanjouki (works)*
    Darius gaiden (works)*
    Parappa the rapper (doesn't work, goes blank after title screen)
    Bust a groove (works but timing delay makes it impossible to play properly)
    Ore Tomba (works)
    Puyo puyo sun (works but stutters during cutscenes unsure if USB stick speed or emulation)
    Suzuki bakuhatsu (works)*
    Kaette Kita Cyborg Kuro-chan (works but sound stutters during cutscenes)
    Mr Driller G (works but has a few graphical errors on map screen)*
    Gegege no Kitarou - Gyakushuu! Youkai Daikessen (works but sound constantly stutters)
    Vib ribbon (works perfectly no unplayable timing lag)
    Domino-kun o Tomenaide (works)

So far it's paid for it's £40 pricetag quite a few times over as some of the titles i have been playing would have cost hundreds if i was to try get physical copies however after playing them i am seriously tempted to start adding to my physical ps1 collection, some of them have held up great even now. Amazing how one hack has the ability to turn something totally around, now have a easy plug & play for ps1 imports of my choosing.

You can even have the hack boot direct into the stock menu and you can change the built in menu look as well, the bleemsync menu already looks a lot nicer than the purple one thats default.

[edit] more games tested
    Dodonpachi (works)
    Raiden DX (works but has a graphical problem on right hand side of screen if scanlines are enabled sometimes interlaced black border appears sometimes doesn't)
    R-Type delta (works)*
    Detana Twinbee yahho deluxe pack (works)*
    Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (works)
    Sexy Parodius (works)*
    Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius - Forever with Me (works)*
    Gradius Gaiden (works)*
    Gradius DX pack (works)*
    G Darius (works but slight 1 sec stutter when loading in levels)*
    Galaxians ^3 (works but random sound stuttering here & there)*
    Ganbare Goemon - Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu (works)*
    Ganbare Goemon - Ooedo Daikaiten (doesn't load after ps logo could be a bad image)
    Ganbare Goemon - Kurunarakoi! Ayashigeikka no Kuroikage (works but has interlace border problem if scanlines are turned on)*
    Arkanoid R 2000 (works)
    Boku no natsuyasumi (works)*
    Doko demo issyo (works but needs a pocketstation boooo)
    Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (works)*
    Puyopuyo Box (works)*
    R-Types (works but opening FMV is partially corrupted and scanlines cause border problems ingame)
    Thunderforce V - Perfect System (works but scanlines cause border problems)

Seems when the playstation has a game that runs in a certain high resolution mode it screws up the scanlines the border corruption only seems to happen when this high res mode is used. Not turning them on fixes the problem but then you get a blurry messy looking game.
    Last edited by importaku; 25-01-2019, 04:08.

I am still running Bleemsync 0.4 and have Parappa running. However either I am now rubbish at it or there is a bit of lag introduced either by the emulation, the LCD TV, or the wireless 8 bitdo controller. I have yet to hammer out which it is. But it's odd it no longer works on 1.0. Have you tried a different bios?

I looked at 1.0 but don't like having all the original 20 games mixed in with my own choices. Is there a way to hide titles that I will never play. Rainbow six for instance?

Comment

Im sure in the bleemsync interface theres an option to hide the built in games not sure if you can hide individuals or the whole lot. Regarding parappa i shall try making a rip of my japanese copy i saved some time & just downloaded one off the net but theres a chance the image could be bad if it works on the version before. Will be todays experiment lol not that it's playable even if it does get running as it's even more unforgiving than bust a groove.

Comment

PaRappa is difficult on original hardware via a CRT, let alone the lag that is produced in a wireless controller, emulated, LCD TV experience. It’s all three, not just one.

Comment

It will be the ultimate emulation test if parappa can be made to be playable as you are correct even when played on original old hardware the timing is super tight especially the cooking show level. So far for shootemups it's fantastic unlike super famicom on parodius it would slow when too much is on screen especially if you have the ripple laser and 3 options going off on the classic it's been rock solid no slowdown that i could detect with my brain & i was trying to spot it.

Comment

Might be a bit weird to say but I’m not too interested until games can be put on the actual unit rather than run off USB stick. I’m a bit OCD when it comes to things like that.

However, if/when it does happen I have quite a treasure trove of games in BIN/CUE, and also IMG/CUE if it accepts that, on my hacked OG Xbox.

Comment

I have read that they are working to be able to do that, write directly to the machine and erase the games that are built in off it. At the moment you can hide them but a lot of the features they are planning are still not implemented yet it is the first official release so far. The stock built in emulator uses bin & cue files so no problem in that respect.

Comment

I’m still waiting for it to be fully contained myself. Then I can load it up with a whole load of games that I’ll never play.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'm still not tempted to buy one of these. All the emulation problems really put me off. Of course, for people who did buy one cheap, at least you can get some fun of it. But because it's not perfect emulation like with the NES & SNES Minis, I can live without one.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                    Then I can load it up with a whole load of games that I’ll never play.
                    Haha ***glances at SNES Classic*** ... ain't that the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      But because it's not perfect emulation like with the NES & SNES Minis, I can live without one.
                      Erm...it's well known that the Nintendo Classic Minis do not emulate NES/SNES games perfectly, but yes they are contextually better at what they do than what the PlayStation Classic does.

Comment

To be honest the ps1 isn't actually that far behind the snes mini when that first came out there was a huge chunk of games that wouldn't work properly without patching as time went on people managed to geat pretty much all of the games that were worth playing working same with nes as well. So far with the games i have thrown at the playstation classic it's held up remarkably well. Yes there's some graphical errors in certain resolution modes but they are all running at a decent speed, i have yet to test 3D games out as at the moment all the ones i have been wanting to play are 2D but on shooters the speed has remained pretty solid almost feels surreal playing parodius with no slowdown.

As time goes on the bugs will be worked out as the hack matures i can't wait to see just how it ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Erm...it's well known that the Nintendo Classic Minis do not emulate NES/SNES games perfectly, but yes they are contextually better at what they do than what the PlayStation Classic does.
                          Well, I just meant convincingly enough to not ever be distracting. You can analyse emulation of NES & SNES games and find issues, especially in certain moments, but I find it very convincing using a PC, Raspberry Pi, or Mini console.

It sounds like the PlayStation Classic emulation has obvious issues with all sorts of games, so it's definitely not as dependable as emulation of NES or SNES games on their respective Mini machines.

Originally posted by importaku View Post

As time goes on the bugs will be worked out as the hack matures i can't wait to see just how it ends up.
                          If things improve significantly, I'll probably pick up the Classic. I hope it does end up emulating most PS1 games without any noticeable problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            Well, I just meant convincingly enough to not ever be distracting. You can analyse emulation of NES & SNES games and find issues, especially in certain moments, but I find it very convincing using a PC, Raspberry Pi, or Mini console.

It sounds like the PlayStation Classic emulation has obvious issues with all sorts of games, so it's definitely not as dependable as emulation of NES or SNES games on their respective Mini machines.

If things improve significantly, I'll probably pick up the Classic. I hope it does end up emulating most PS1 games without any noticeable problems.
                            To where the nes & snes mini are at at the moment i'd say the ps is about 60% of the way there, most games i have thrown at it so far have worked perfectly and i have been playing some pretty obscure stuff and the stock emulator has been coping great. The setback will be the ps1 library is a lot bigger than nes or snes more games out there to test it's gonna be quite a while till a compatability spreadsheet pops up like with the nintendo ones, so far nearly all my most wanted games thankfully work, yeah i'd love all the bemani stuff but i have to be realistic hell i can't even get them running in sync on my pc lol. The stock menu can be changed & you can boot directly into it making it look like nothing was hacked apart from new games appearing, it's pleasantly refined for a first official release version. Hell i remember you couldnt even name games on nes mini as it was missing letters out the font alphabet hehe, thankfully not a problem on ps but it does struggle with long titles, in fact i have yet to see if it will accept japanese that will be tomorrows test.

Keep a close eye on the price, i'd recommend picking one up when it hits super low. Once the hack becomes more well known i can see the price slowly creeping back up.
                            Last edited by importaku; 27-01-2019, 00:55.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                              Keep a close eye on the price, i'd recommend picking one up when it hits super low.
                              You've made me feel like picking one up cheap and then waiting for the hack to become more stable for all the games I'd want to use with it. I'll keep it in mind over the next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X