User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    But because it's not perfect emulation like with the NES & SNES Minis, I can live without one.
    Erm...it's well known that the Nintendo Classic Minis do not emulate NES/SNES games perfectly, but yes they are contextually better at what they do than what the PlayStation Classic does.

To be honest the ps1 isn't actually that far behind the snes mini when that first came out there was a huge chunk of games that wouldn't work properly without patching as time went on people managed to geat pretty much all of the games that were worth playing working same with nes as well. So far with the games i have thrown at the playstation classic it's held up remarkably well. Yes there's some graphical errors in certain resolution modes but they are all running at a decent speed, i have yet to test 3D games out as at the moment all the ones i have been wanting to play are 2D but on shooters the speed has remained pretty solid almost feels surreal playing parodius with no slowdown.

As time goes on the bugs will be worked out as the hack matures i can't wait to see just how it ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    Erm...it's well known that the Nintendo Classic Minis do not emulate NES/SNES games perfectly, but yes they are contextually better at what they do than what the PlayStation Classic does.
    Well, I just meant convincingly enough to not ever be distracting. You can analyse emulation of NES & SNES games and find issues, especially in certain moments, but I find it very convincing using a PC, Raspberry Pi, or Mini console.

It sounds like the PlayStation Classic emulation has obvious issues with all sorts of games, so it's definitely not as dependable as emulation of NES or SNES games on their respective Mini machines.

Quote Originally Posted by importaku View Post

As time goes on the bugs will be worked out as the hack matures i can't wait to see just how it ends up.
    If things improve significantly, I'll probably pick up the Classic. I hope it does end up emulating most PS1 games without any noticeable problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Well, I just meant convincingly enough to not ever be distracting. You can analyse emulation of NES & SNES games and find issues, especially in certain moments, but I find it very convincing using a PC, Raspberry Pi, or Mini console.

It sounds like the PlayStation Classic emulation has obvious issues with all sorts of games, so it's definitely not as dependable as emulation of NES or SNES games on their respective Mini machines.

If things improve significantly, I'll probably pick up the Classic. I hope it does end up emulating most PS1 games without any noticeable problems.
    To where the nes & snes mini are at at the moment i'd say the ps is about 60% of the way there, most games i have thrown at it so far have worked perfectly and i have been playing some pretty obscure stuff and the stock emulator has been coping great. The setback will be the ps1 library is a lot bigger than nes or snes more games out there to test it's gonna be quite a while till a compatability spreadsheet pops up like with the nintendo ones, so far nearly all my most wanted games thankfully work, yeah i'd love all the bemani stuff but i have to be realistic hell i can't even get them running in sync on my pc lol. The stock menu can be changed & you can boot directly into it making it look like nothing was hacked apart from new games appearing, it's pleasantly refined for a first official release version. Hell i remember you couldnt even name games on nes mini as it was missing letters out the font alphabet hehe, thankfully not a problem on ps but it does struggle with long titles, in fact i have yet to see if it will accept japanese that will be tomorrows test.

Keep a close eye on the price, i'd recommend picking one up when it hits super low. Once the hack becomes more well known i can see the price slowly creeping back up.
    Last edited by importaku; 27-01-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by importaku View Post
    Keep a close eye on the price, i'd recommend picking one up when it hits super low.
    You've made me feel like picking one up cheap and then waiting for the hack to become more stable for all the games I'd want to use with it. I'll keep it in mind over the next week.

プレイステーション
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I3th Racing PSN ID: Mr_Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Haha ***glances at SNES Classic*** ... ain't that the truth.
    Exactly! To think that I spent an entire weekend downloading everything to make my SFC Mini look stock and then never play it is insane.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

One of the harder things regarding this hack is getting a compatible usb stick as if it draws too much power through the front usb ports of the classic theres a chip inside that will block it as it's there to limit the amount of current that can be drawn through the front usb ports. You can get around that by using a powered usb hub which is the current method i'm using now however there is now another way there is a mod that you can do direct to the motherboard that disables the current limiter chips on the classic so you can unlock the front ports full potential so pretty much all usb sticks should work.

I opened up my classic to see just how small the solder points are, umm yeah they are the size of a head of a pin, no chance in hell im risking putting that much heat into such a small point it will fry the components in seconds. You can however use a conductive ink pen to do the same thing and bridge the resistor points to disable the chip, means a lot nicer look around the front as you can plug in a tiny usb stick and not have a hulking great usb hub dangling out the front of your classic.